Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:48 PM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The city Im sure trying to suppress these ridiculous events that rarely if ever happen in first class cities but the news is starting to get out.
"Is starting to"?

Seems we get flareups of this type every nine months or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I wish I could tell you. It was near 17th and Walnut, and there was a huge line with bouncers and more kids than I can count. It looked like an under age club having an event, but there was no external name to the door that everybody was going through. I just knew I wanted to get out of there soon. Most of these kids looked like they shouldn't be there (kids dressed like adults and yelling), but I'm sure their parents were doing nothing about it.
It's not an all-ages club, or at least wasn't the one time I attended an event there. It has, or had, a liquor license.

It's gone by a series of names over the last 10 years or so. I don't know what it's called now.

Parents? What are those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 09:34 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
I am so disheartened by all of this. There's a lot of great things about Philly but this news has just been too much. I'm over it. There's also been an uptick of gun violence in my hood. I'll live happily in a clean, safe and walkable suburb and visit Philly when I'm in the mood for a great restaurant. Hope to be out within a year.
What neighborhood are you in?

Old 11-19-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady123 View Post
Ever since they closed the tracks the addicts have been forever roaming.
This, as a resident of Bridesburg, passes the eye test.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I would beg to differ that the area around Somerset is continuing to get worse. The neighborhood organizations there are very strong and a lot of work is being done to improve the neighborhood. Just look at Orinoka, the renovation is essentially complete and that used to be a building where addicts shot up. Speaking of that, that is the reason FKD to Aramingo is getting "worse." Ever since they closed the tracks the addicts have been forever roaming. I agree that this recent uptick in gun violence and flash mobs is really disheartening but to quote Kanye West " You know the kids gon' act a fool. When you stop the programs for after school." A problem in Chicago and Philadelphia both. Part of me wants to put 100% of the blame on the kids that were part of this mob and believe me a lot of the blame should be. But the fact that the school system is failing lower income children who can't afford private education definitely contribute to a growing inequality in the city of newer and wealthier residents versus the people who have lived here for years.
Yeah ..... How about blaming the parents?

Old 11-19-2017, 10:44 PM

252 posts, read 234,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
What neighborhood are you in?
Graduate Hospital but almost Point Breeze.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Graduate Hospital but almost Point Breeze.
Sorry that you're no longer feeling it.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:23 PM

252 posts, read 234,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Sorry that you're no longer feeling it.
It's a shame because Philly is such a terrific city in so many ways. And thanks

Old 11-19-2017, 11:33 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
It's a shame because Philly is such a terrific city in so many ways. And thanks
It is but you have to know where to go. For example when i go to center city i always make sure i stay away from 15th and walnut to 18th, 19th and chestnut to 13th and chestnut and 15th and market. I been staying away from those areas for over 20 years and never had any problems. Those are the areas that attract lots of teens which is why those are not my favorite areas.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:28 AM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
[...] But the fact that the school system is failing lower income children who can't afford private education definitely contribute to a growing inequality in the city of newer and wealthier residents versus the people who have lived here for years.
The guy who started the whole ball rolling, Richard Florida, looks out on the landscape his theory of the "creative class" created and says, "My God, what have I done?" Then he writes a prescription for the disease at the end:

The New Urban Crisis | Richard Florida

Subtitle: "How Our Cities are Deepening Inequality, Increasing Segregation, and Failing the Middle Class - and What We Can Do About It"

I think that a lot of his prescription, written in the last chapter, "Urbanism for All," makes sense.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:16 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Saturday night @7pm, Walnut Street the night before the Philly Marathon, nothing says welcome to Philly than a traditional Philly Flash Mob.

Kenney needs to crack down on this nonsense once and for all...he's too PC to do that though given the content of these mobs.
The effing PPD rarely does foot or bike patrol in Rittenhouse or anywhere else as a normal part of their duties. The effing PPD commish needs to be fired. During the recent Open Streets all they did was congregate at 3rd and Vine, instead of dispersing along the entire route's length.

And interestingly it was SEPTA cops who did these arrests not PPD. Also interesting because SEPTA cops are usually conspicuously absent most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia