Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 01:02 AM

3 posts, read 10,699 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating from college in Boston this year and I'm planning on moving to Philadelphia with my boyfriend (who currently lives in Allentown). I'm in love with Boston and am scared that I'm going to miss it. I haven't been to Philadelphia since I was younger, but it is one place that we will both agree to move to. I'm originally from Hudson Valley NY (about 40 mins outside of NYC). I love city life but he loves the suburbs. I'm curious about the areas in and around Philly. Are there any more suburban areas? You know, grass, trees, parking in real driveways? I'm looking for a safe area that has a more suburban feel with easy access to the more active areas of the city. Does anyone know of anything that fits the criteria?

Boston is such a comfortable city to live in (other than being a lonely Yankees fan). The public transportation is incredible, the areas are exciting and active. However, there are some things around here that are kind of disappointing. The rates on apartments are ridiculously high. Forget about living downtown as a student... even with a full time job. I pay $1400 to live out in a two bedroom out in Allston. Looking at Craigslist, I see some VERY reasonable prices in the Philadelphia area. Am I being overly excited by a $800 two bedroom price tag? Is this pretty far from the norm. Given, it depends on the area, but I am pretty open to trying some different neighborhoods. Also, people in Boston start looking for their September move-ins around March. I'm sure people in PA aren't this insane... I have some time, right? When should I really start the search for a new apartment?

Also, the parking in Boston isn't worth it. I leave my car in NY. Is Philly a more friendly city for drivers? Is parking a chore, or do many areas have driveways? I would love any help that people could offer! I'm very confused with everything. I would really love to hear about some areas that might be more suburban; outside of the city is fine, as long as it's close. And I would love to hear from anyone who has had experience in Boston and Philly. Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 08:37 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
As far as suburban-like areas with city access, Chestnut Hill and West Mt. Airy are nice (both are inside Philadelphia). Chestnut Hill has that cobble-stone small-town feel to it, and Mt. Airy is right next to it. There's a train station there that can take you downtown, or it's an easy drive using Lincoln Drive (windy, wooded road; about 20 minutes to CC). Germantown is nice too, although some parts of it are better than others, so you'd have to be sure to check that out. Outside the city, Jenkintown, Elkins Park and Melrose Park are also nice. Definitely more suburban, and would probably be cheaper. They're only a few minutes outside the city limits and have their own train stations as well. Or, drive straight down Old York Road/Broad Street to Center City and Old City. I grew up in East Oaklane (close to Melrose and Elkins Park) and loved how I could get to all different areas of the city in 20-30 minutes. A good thing about the stations in Jenkintown, Elkins Park, and Melrose Park (all near each other) is that there are 3 or so trains running (feel free to correct me, it's been a while), so they come fairly frequently.

In general, there's a good amount of trees and grass throughout the city. it actually was part of the original city plan to have squares and trees in the downtown areas, and Fairmount Park is literally a massive park that runs through the city. I always loved how I could drive down Lincoln Drive and Cresheim Valley Road and feel like I'm in the woods without leaving the city.

Regarding parking, in general I think Philly is definitely pretty car-friendly compared to other cities. Granted, it's harder in certain areas, but I've always driven around and had no problem parking. I'm sorry, I can't answer your questions regarding rent since I live in DC now, so my price mentality is waaaay off. I'd just pay particular attention to the address and if there's a few in particular you've seen, asking about the area to make sure. As far as when to look, March seems too early to look for a September rental. I could be wrong, but usually I feel like you should be seriously looking 2 or 3 months ahead (again, anyone correct me).

Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 AM

274 posts, read 1,400,521 times
You will find many nice suburban areas right outside the city limits. So there is plenty to look at if your boyfriend doesn't want to be in town. As always some areas will be much more expensive than others.
If you need affordable, but close to town and with driveways etc., try Havertown, Glenside, Jenkintown as mentioned above.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
$800 for a 2B in Philly is quite a steal. I'd think closer to $1000 for a safe but unpretentious suburban apartment. You'd be fortunate to get a 1B for under that in Center City (downtown).

You'll have to head pretty far out of town to find tree-less developments. The NE and NW sections of the city are where you are most likely to find a driveway to park in.

Unless you choose to live in University City (home of Penn and Drexel), Philly doesn't really follow the collegiate renting cycle.

Center City is every bit as dense as Boston and NYC so public transportation (which holds its own with those two cities if it's admittedly more expensive) would be recommended before driving and parking.

Oh... and you won't have to deal with apartment brokers who charge you a month's rent on top of the three months that you pay to your landlord. But it's not unusual to pay "first, last and security" when moving into a new apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mere1312 View Post
I'm graduating from college in Boston this year and I'm planning on moving to Philadelphia with my boyfriend (who currently lives in Allentown). I'm in love with Boston and am scared that I'm going to miss it. I haven't been to Philadelphia since I was younger, but it is one place that we will both agree to move to. I'm originally from Hudson Valley NY (about 40 mins outside of NYC). I love city life but he loves the suburbs. I'm curious about the areas in and around Philly. Are there any more suburban areas? You know, grass, trees, parking in real driveways? I'm looking for a safe area that has a more suburban feel with easy access to the more active areas of the city. Does anyone know of anything that fits the criteria?

Boston is such a comfortable city to live in (other than being a lonely Yankees fan). The public transportation is incredible, the areas are exciting and active. However, there are some things around here that are kind of disappointing. The rates on apartments are ridiculously high. Forget about living downtown as a student... even with a full time job. I pay $1400 to live out in a two bedroom out in Allston. Looking at Craigslist, I see some VERY reasonable prices in the Philadelphia area. Am I being overly excited by a $800 two bedroom price tag? Is this pretty far from the norm. Given, it depends on the area, but I am pretty open to trying some different neighborhoods. Also, people in Boston start looking for their September move-ins around March. I'm sure people in PA aren't this insane... I have some time, right? When should I really start the search for a new apartment?

Also, the parking in Boston isn't worth it. I leave my car in NY. Is Philly a more friendly city for drivers? Is parking a chore, or do many areas have driveways? I would love any help that people could offer! I'm very confused with everything. I would really love to hear about some areas that might be more suburban; outside of the city is fine, as long as it's close. And I would love to hear from anyone who has had experience in Boston and Philly. Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Old 03-22-2008, 03:02 AM

Thank you, everyone! Very useful information. I will definately keep in mind all of these areas. Hopefully my we will be able to agree on something!

Tone509, I see you're familiar with the realtor's fee. Quite a big deal when 2 bedrooms under $1500 are pretty hard to come by here!

Old 03-22-2008, 06:41 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times
Collingswood NJ may be an option...it's a hip little town with the Patco High Speed line running through it so you can be in the city within minutes, and Cooper River park is nearby

Old 03-22-2008, 04:36 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Yeah, I once had a friend who lived in Boston that told me about that fee. Everybody's gotta make a living, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mere1312 View Post
Thank you, everyone! Very useful information. I will definately keep in mind all of these areas. Hopefully my we will be able to agree on something!

Tone509, I see you're familiar with the realtor's fee. Quite a big deal when 2 bedrooms under $1500 are pretty hard to come by here!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Yeah, I once had a friend who lived in Boston that told me about that fee. Everybody's gotta make a living, I guess.

The renter paying the fee is quite normal all over. It applies in New York and Hoboken in New Jersey for sure. It was a nice surprise that we didn't have to pay that in Philly.

We have just rented an apartment in CC. We were a bit strict on location - CC north of South Street and no further north than China Town. We looked at a lot of places and ended up compromising a bit on location to get a big 2 bedroom with parking. We are paying around $2300/ month. The nice places in better locations were more than that. It seems to be possible to get a nice but smaller 2 bedroom (900 - 1100 sqft) for around $2000/ month, a bit less without parking.
Something a bit more basic in CC is probably $1500 and up.

I think you will do better if you are a little more flexible on location than we were, but figured you might find our info useful as we have literally just been doing it.

I LOVE Boston, but am sure you will like Philly too. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 PM

Yeah, we are definately flexible. If I had my way I would be all over an apartment in center city... but I suppose compromise is necessary in a relationship. He'd prefer farther away from the more chaotic areas of the city... so I'm sure price will decline the further out we go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia