Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:43 PM

40 posts, read 27,802 times

Advertisements

Hi, all!

So still in the reflection period, I'm toying with the idea of staying in my apt in Philly (I live a short walk from 30th) and commuting to New Brunswick (I got into a program at Rutgers).

I think the morning train is ok, pretty early but a little over an hour--I'm more worried about the trip back. It seems that that one can get a little backed up and take longer.

Is this a crazy option to consider? I really love this city and would like to keep living here, at least try.

If anyone has experience going back and forth with SEPTA and Amtrak, and with how the commute feels after a while (I'm used to 50-60min daily of subway/train or almost but this trip sounds a little longer), I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 07:02 PM

377 posts, read 476,514 times
Do you have to be there 5 days a week? Is the Amtrak cost an issue? Seems kind of doable since you can walk to 30th.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:04 PM

I think I'd use SEPTA and then NJ transit. Amtrak is too tricky, I think. The issue is actually morning trains between Trenton and NB look pretty limited.

I don't need to be there 5 days a week at the beginning, but I think it would be best during my first year just to connect with the department.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:57 PM

Oh true, does Amtrak even stop at NB?

Yeah, there are a decent number of NJT NE Corridor trains that are express that skip NB.

What Rutgers campus do you need to get to? That would probably decide it for me.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 PM

It's the College Ave campus, another 10-mn walk from the NB station this time.

I'd be stuck with only two options with SEPTA/NJ Transit in the morning (the first one being really early and there's a 30-mn wait at NB so in the winter UGH), but on the way back it's actually the opposite of what I thought, there are more options. So getting to work at 9:30-ish has to be okay and missing that train isn't an option haha.

Do you do that trip?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:09 PM

Ok, good. If you said Busch or really any that isn't College Ave I would have said no way. Adding Rutgers buses to the commute would be a death sentence.

You mean a 30 min wait at Trenton?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
Ok, good. If you said Busch or really any that isn't College Ave I would have said no way. Adding Rutgers buses to the commute would be a death sentence.

You mean a 30 min wait at Trenton?
Yeah, there's a train that leaves 30th at like 6am something, but then it gets in at Trenton at 7:21 and the next train to NB is at 7:50 I think? The only "direct" trip is at 8 (which is a good time! but a little scary that there's just the one option).

The things I'd do just to stay in Philly haha

Old 03-27-2018, 08:25 PM

At least you can sit indoors at Trenton.

The twice daily change of trains is what makes me question it because things can (and will) go wrong and it adds stress. Personally, I'd say go for it especially if you could decide to move closer to Rutgers if it's not going well (or cut back on the number of days).

Old 03-27-2018, 08:35 PM

Yeah I can decide to move later if it's not doable. I'm already commuting with MFL + NHSL, but they might be a little more reliable than these other two (they're surprisingly reliable actually. Amtrak is the one that sucks. And busses). I'm def. going to try them out a few times before officially deciding.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:11 PM

1,411 posts, read 936,149 times
This would be too much for me. You're looking at 2 hrs + in the AM with the 30 min wait at Trenton. You're better off driving if you can leave early enough, especially after the new 95 turnpike interchange is finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia