Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 05:46 PM

44 posts, read 34,070 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We’re new to Philly, as of last summer. It’s time we started pressing outside the suburbs, I think, and spring break might just be the first opportunity for us to do that.
I’d be grateful for suggestions on how the best way to do this might be. We’ll be taking our two easy dogs with us.
So I’m thinking maybe a VRBO stay upstate New York, and making the trip to and fro the Falls in a day.
What do you think?

Thanks 🙏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 08:24 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,561,665 times
It's going to be really cold at Niagara falls at this time of the year. For the best experience, I would go in the Summer. If you really want to experience the spectacular of the waterfalls, you should stay in one of the falls view hotels on the Canadian side. Just pay a bit more money and be done with the experience. In addition, most of the tourist places/activities/events are fully operational after Memorial day.

I've been to Niagara falls from Toronto so I can't speak about the drive from the US side or the border crossing but I from what I've heard the border crossing can get crazy in the Summer. The falls are in the US but the Canadians have the best views. The waters in the boat ride are cold, even in the Summer because Canadian Summers are mild, so you can imagine how chilly it will be on the boat ride this time of the year.

Regarding the dogs, as a non-dog owner, I would say leave them in a pet hotel here in Philly. I've never traveled with pets so I can't speak about taking your dogs for the trip.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:46 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,246,818 times
Do you have any other interests to build out the trip? There is some fantastic natural scenery going through upstate NY on the way to falls. I last crossed over from NY 5 years ago, but no problem. Most congestion was Niagara on the Lake, but that was because it was July 1st (Canada Day)

Cave of the Winds on the NY side is cool, but you'll want to get to the Canadian side.

We'll be back in that area this summer

Old 03-23-2018, 06:54 AM

Gosh, of course. I should have thought it's going to be really cold since it's only a couple of weeks away. 1ondoner, you make alot of sense. Thank you.

Finger Laker - I'm desperate to get to upstate New York. We're in English family located in Philly for 3 years. I did Camp America in the Adirondacks years ago, young and very green, and I've have always wanted to return with a bit more time and confidence. I can see online that the camp is still in operation with the same people...and that was over 20 years ago.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:54 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,739,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHorseFlier View Post
Hello,
We’re new to Philly, as of last summer. It’s time we started pressing outside the suburbs, I think, and spring break might just be the first opportunity for us to do that.
I’d be grateful for suggestions on how the best way to do this might be. We’ll be taking our two easy dogs with us.
So I’m thinking maybe a VRBO stay upstate New York, and making the trip to and fro the Falls in a day.
What do you think?

Thanks 🙏
It's too cold for Canada.

If Skyline Drive & the Blueridge Parkway are open, go to Asheville & visit the Biltmore.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:52 PM

744 posts, read 777,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's too cold for Canada.

If Skyline Drive & the Blueridge Parkway are open, go to Asheville & visit the Biltmore.

I second this recommendation.

Niagra falls is fun and worth the trip. I went during the early fall season and it wasn't too crowded. Upstate NY in beautiful. I also enjoy Buffalo.

I also recommend making the drive up to Montreal and/or Quebec City sometime.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:17 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,739,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I second this recommendation.

Niagra falls is fun and worth the trip. I went during the early fall season and it wasn't too crowded. Upstate NY in beautiful. I also enjoy Buffalo.

I also recommend making the drive up to Montreal and/or Quebec City sometime.
The Biltmore is lovely, with seasonal gardens. Considering what the OP wants, though, it would be best to do it, only if Skyline Drive & the Blueridge Parkway are open. It would take her through the highest mountains east of the Mississippi. This winter has been brutal there, though. Kids have missed a month of school because of the weather.

I second Montreal & Quebec City, in the summer.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:06 PM

Thank you. If you’ll forgive the pun, I think I’ve gone cold on the idea.

Definitely want to do this in the summer though. Sounds brilliant.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:13 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,561,665 times
Hotel rooms sell out fast. And you get the best deals if you book early, even for the 24 hr cancellation rates. Especially if you want a non standard room e.g. a family suite. I normally book my Summer vacation by the end of February latest. I'm only on the hook for plane tickets, which can be changed for a fee and be used within 1 yr. In your case since you are driving this is a non issue.

Quote:

Old 03-24-2018, 12:50 AM

32,970 posts, read 36,471,227 times
Quote:

My son and I went at the end of August. He didn't start school until after Labor Day. The kids in Niagara Falls, Ontario, started a week earlier. We got a really good rate on a room in a nice hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: