Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 07:21 PM

6 posts, read 9,831 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to Philly this summer for grad school. I'm an older student at 34 and am looking to move some place where I can get to school (driving) within 25 min on a weekday at 8 am. I want to try to live someplace w/ good resale value as I will be selling again when I finish in two years.

1) Where would you go if you were my age and wanted to be fairly near the school (but not living with the younger college crowd)? My budget is 300k and lower.

2) Should I be looking for an older house or a newer condo? What is likely to sell better in a couple of years?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
I would recommend that you not buy, just rent. Live wherever you like, spend as much on rent as you like and invest the rest of that money in stocks. You will come out way ahead as opposed to way behind when you take into account settlement costs, maintenance costs, taxes, and the fact that you will have overpaid if you buy now. You will be selling a house that is probably worth less than what you would pay for it today.

Trust me on this one - just rent while you're here and invest the rest, you'll be glad you did. You need about 7-10 years in a house to break even with the rent costs...2 years is just not enough time to build the equity you need to justify the purchase.

As for where to live, it depends what you like. Yuppie type? Manayunk Artsy trendy? Northern Liberties Eclectic and close to school? University City, Powelton Village, Lansdowne Down towner? All over center city East and Southeast of City Hall
Walkable burb? Media, Havertown Walkable near the city with small town feel? Narberth Cheaper burbs Drexel Hill, Springfield More expensive burbs: Lower Merion, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Bala Cynwyd

Last edited by orrmobl; 03-25-2008 at 08:32 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 08:26 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times
Question - if you are planning to sell in 2 years, why not rent? Nobody has any idea what the housing market will be in two years. That being said, I would suggest you look in Manayunk. You would have about a 5 minute drive to school.

Manayunk.com - Home

Orrmobl - we were responding at the same time with like minds.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:52 PM

6 posts, read 9,831 times
Thanks. I'll take your advice... now, what neighborhoods over there are good if i'm going to rent an apt instead?

to drill that down even farther, are there specific apts communities anyone would wholeheartedly recommend? i am tryin to find someplace that is not known for wild parties.

thanks.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:00 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times
As I said in my earlier reply:

Manayunk.com - Home

Another place would be West Mt. Airy. That's about 10-15 minutes away.

West Mt. Airy Neighbors

Old 04-10-2008, 07:22 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
East Falls is about as close as you can get. You could walk or bike to class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia