Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:32 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,777,824 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a trip to Philly in a few weeks and debating how many days we should spend there.

Here's the thing: I'm a huge history geek, and I plan vacations around historic sites/monuments/museums in each of the cities we visit.

We've already put together an itinerary of all the places we'd like to see; realistically, though, we probably won't have enough time to visit them all in one trip.

The musts include:

- Independence Hall tour
- Museum of the American Revolution
- Philosophical Hall/Library
- Constitution Center
- Franklin Institute
- Franklin Court
- Liberty Bell
- Church and Burying Ground
- Declaration House

This latter group includes sites/museums we would love to see but aren't sure we'll have time for:

- 2nd Bank of the US (first bank is closed to the public)
- US Mint
- Powell House
- Todd House
- Philadelphia History Museum
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania
- Germantown White House

I'm also the kind of person who loves to read the descriptions/stories behind the artifacts, so I don't exactly blaze in and out of these venues.

We were thinking of staying 6 nights, leaving us with 5 days to sightsee. Is that sufficient, or should we try working in an additional day (7 nights, 6 days of sightseeing)?

Last edited by Wordsmith12; 07-06-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 12:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,719,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
My wife and I are planning a trip to Philly in a few weeks and were debating how many days we should spend there.

Here's the thing: I'm a huge history geek, and I plan vacations around historic sites/monuments/museums in each of the cities we visit.

We've already put together an itinerary of all the places we'd like to see; realistically, though, we probably won't have enough time to visit them all in one trip.

The musts include:

- Independence Hall tour
- Museum of the American Revolution
- Philosophical Hall/Library
- Constitution Center
- Franklin Institute
- Franklin Court
- Liberty Bell
- Church and Burying Ground
- Declaration House

This latter group includes sites/museums we would love to see but aren't sure we'll have time for:

- 2nd Bank of the US (first bank is closed to the public)
- US Mint
- Powell House
- Todd House
- Philadelphia History Museum
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania
- Germantown White House

I'm also the kind of person who loves to read the descriptions/stories behind the artifacts, so I don't exactly blaze in and out of these venues.

We were thinking of staying 6 nights, leaving us with 5 days to sightsee. Is that sufficient, or should we try working in an additional day (7 nights, 6 days of sightseeing)?
There's also Fort Mifflin & the battleground of the Battle of Redbank, which is across the river.

Bartram's Garden is another site

Old 07-06-2018, 01:17 PM

744 posts, read 777,037 times
You could probably spend a whole day in Germantown/Mt. Airy. Here is a site that lists many of the attactions:

Historic Germantown

All of the sites are not open every day so do your homework ahead of time to make sure what you want to see will be open.

I would also visit Carpenters Hall. Maybe also look into the Mutter Museum, the American Revolution Museum, Eastern State Penitentiary, National Museum of American Jewish History, and the Edgar Allen Poe house. If you are so inclined you could also do a day trip to Gettysburg and/or Valley Forge. I also think the history of the Barnes Foundation is interesting and enjoyed taking a guided tour. I hope you enjoy your trip!

Old 07-06-2018, 01:25 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,726,206 times
I believe they have just closed the Philadelphia History Museum.

I would recommend adding Laurel Hill Cemetery to your list, especially on a nice day where you might feel the need to be outside. There are public tours scheduled, but you can also go around on your own for free. Stop in the office when you arrive for a map and self-guided tour info.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:32 PM

2,573 posts, read 2,690,385 times
The theme of your trip begs you to include this museum. Worth it to view the flame glass sculpture that spans multiple floors.

The National Liberty Museum - Homepage

Old 07-06-2018, 07:25 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,884,009 times
I think you'll do great with 5 days. You could stay for a 6th and have plenty to do as well, but 5 days is most likely sufficient. I agree with others who suggested making your way up to Germantown/Mt. Airy, Bartram's Garden and Fort Mifflin. Center City has so much to offer, but be sure to see other parts of Philly too.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:55 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,558,722 times
It took 5 responses for the OP to get a correct response. That said, I think 5 days will do, if they plan well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I think you'll do great with 5 days. You could stay for a 6th and have plenty to do as well, but 5 days is most likely sufficient. I agree with others who suggested making your way up to Germantown/Mt. Airy, Bartram's Garden and Fort Mifflin. Center City has so much to offer, but be sure to see other parts of Philly too.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:58 PM

2,573 posts, read 2,690,385 times
Well, being a buff, you could argue your lifetime. 5 days is good, but if you have more to use, use 'em!

Old 07-06-2018, 11:31 PM

377 posts, read 667,793 times
If you're into EARLY, EARLY History, consider visiting one of the "world’s great archaeology and anthropology research museums", The University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
https://www.penn.museum/exhibitions/...nd-exhibitions

Unfortunately, the Sphinx Gallery in the Egyptian Wing just closed for 4 - 6 years of major expansion/restorations. Other Egyptian exhibits, including the Mummy Gallery are not affected and remain opened.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:07 AM

14,209 posts, read 9,113,588 times
Indeed you can do your itinerary in five days, but given your interest in taking your time and diving deep, I'd suggest a week myself.

You should definitely time the Germantown portion of your visit for a day when all of the local historic sites are open, for not all are open every day. All of the sites that together market themselves under the "Historic Germantown" umbrella are worth a visit, but I would say that, the Germantown White House aside, your two must-visits are Cliveden, site of the only Revolutionary War battle to take place within the present-day Philadelphia city limits, and the Johnson House, one of the best-preserved stations on the Underground Railroad (and certainly the only one in Philadelphia that's open for tours). Wyck, a historic house and garden that belonged to the Wistar and Haines families, is also worth a visit for its grounds and window into the past.

Another historic artifact that may not be on your radar screen is the Wagner Free Institute of Science in North Philly. This is a natural history museum that is itself a museum piece - it displays artifacts and objects the way they did in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia