Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 08:25 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Check out the Phlash touristy bus. It stops in front of the Rocky statue. Or do a double decker bus tour.

Urban neighborhood? Fishtown, still fits as a very Philly neighborhood inspite of lots of gentrification.

What ship are you talking about?
USS New Jersey. I saw it years ago, but my uncle likes that kind of stuff. I also enjoyed Reading Terminal, Independence Hall, and the Italian and Chinese neighborhoods.

So best/most authentic cheesesteak goes to....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 09:06 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I think those days of gritty dirty old school Philadelphia are finally behind us. Start thinking of Philadelphia in the group of Chicago, Boston, DC, etc. That is what keeps the city on the right trajectory.

It is also starting to pop up on peoples radar, I hear about it almost daily in work and social circles in New York.
There's still a lot of grit. Just go further north on Broad beyond Temple for instance. But, yes, it feels great to have all the rest happen. The energy is definitely palatable.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:01 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
USS New Jersey. I saw it years ago, but my uncle likes that kind of stuff. I also enjoyed Reading Terminal, Independence Hall, and the Italian and Chinese neighborhoods.

I thought you meant Moshulu.

Moshulu - Fine Dining Restaurants in Philadelphia or Best of Philly Restaurants

He might like that.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:10 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Four-way tie:

Joe's Steaks and Sodas, on Torresdale Avenue in Tacony and at Frankford and Girard in Fishtown
D'Alessandro's, Henry Avenue above Walnut Lane, Roxborough
Max's, Broad/Erie/Germantown (Nicetown, North Philly) and Five Points in the Northeast
(some will disagree with me on this last one) Jim's, three locations: 60th and Vine (original), 4th and South, Bustleton and Cottman in the Northeast

Joe's Fishtown and Jim's at 4th and South will probably be the easiest ones for you to visit on a one-day swing, but if you can manage to get one of the other two places in, you will be suitably impressed.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:32 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,940 times
Best and most convenient cheesesteak in center city is sonny's on 3rd and market. Stay away from jims on south st - it's nasty. If you do go to cheesesteak corner (at the very end of the Italian market), try both Pats and Genos, as doing the "taste test" is somewhat of a tradition (Pats is better)

Old 09-08-2018, 10:03 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Best and most convenient cheesesteak in center city is sonny's on 3rd and market. Stay away from jims on south st - it's nasty. If you do go to cheesesteak corner (at the very end of the Italian market), try both Pats and Genos, as doing the "taste test" is somewhat of a tradition (Pats is better)
Here's another of those areas where I map my forever and adopted hometowns onto each other:

Both have signature foods - in Kansas City, it's barbecue.

Each city has two places specializing in those signature foods that are legendary and that visitors from out of town are usually directed to. Neither of those places are considered the best in the city by the local cognoscenti.

(The roles of Pat's and Geno's in the KC Q universe are played by Byrant's and Gates'. Both claim descent from Kansas City's first commercial barbecue stand, opened in 1921 by an African-American migrant from Memphis named Henry Perry. Here, Pat Oliveri is universally acknowledged as the inventor of the thinly sliced steak sandwich in the 1930s; cheese got added to it after World War II when a traveling salesman for Kraft showed him how he could use Cheez Whiz and thus keep his grill kosher. [The foodservice version comes in large cans; all he had to do was open the can and heat it on the grill.] Joey Vento's rival shop across the 9th and Passyunk intersection opened in 1965; his son, who was named for the shop rather than the other way around, IIRC, runs it now. Geno Vento, who came out about five years ago now, is as open and accepting as his father was xenophobic.)

I'd encourage the side trip to Max's or D'Alessandros, but if the OP hasn't done the pilgrimage to Cheesesteak Corner yet, they should just so they can say they did.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:17 AM

409 posts, read 370,609 times
I would recommend this itinerary. It will be a grueling day, but you seem up for that:
  1. Have an Uber drop you off on the back side of the Philadelphia Art Museum. If you go into Fairmount park a little bit, you can sneak a quick peak of Boathouse Row. Spend some time in the museum, but save some energy for the next museums.
  2. The Rodin Museum is down JFK Blvd to the left. It's worth popping into for 10-15 minutes (admission will be covered by the Art Museum ticket)
  3. Barnes Foundation - Next door to Rodin. Awesome collection of impressionist art in an eclectic arrangement. It's the best museum in Philly.
  4. Continue down JFK Blvd through Logan Circle and to Love Park. They have food trucks there for lunch.
  5. Walk through (the courtyard of) City Hall. It's the tallest building in the world that doesn't use steel.
  6. Hit up Reading Terminal Market. The Roast Pork sandwich at Dinic's Roast Beef is a classic lunch option there. Termini Brothers is a good dessert option.
  7. Walk eastward along Market Street, which is starting to become nice. It's a good example of Philly starting to live up to its potential.
  8. End up in Old City and do the usual tourist stuff (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Constitution Center, Betsy Ross House). There are decent dinner options here.

If you're not into art, you can skip going-into the Philly Art Museum and the Rodin Museum, but you should still walk past them (if you can) for a free and quick memorable experience at each:
  • Philly Art Museum - Walking down the front steps and seeing the Rocky Statue
  • Rodin Museum - The Thinker and The Gates of Hell are both located outside of the building (prior to admission)

Map of the above route

The above should be a busy day in itself. South Philly is fun, but that would require a 2nd day. If you go there, the must-dos are:
  • South Street
  • Termini Brothers Bakery
  • Italian Market (be sure to visit Dibruno Brothers and Paesano's)
  • Pat's/Geno's - You go for the atmosphere and history more than the mediocre cheesesteaks.

Last edited by Patmcpsu; 09-11-2018 at 07:56 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Here's another of those areas where I map my forever and adopted hometowns onto each other:

Both have signature foods - in Kansas City, it's barbecue.

Each city has two places specializing in those signature foods that are legendary and that visitors from out of town are usually directed to. Neither of those places are considered the best in the city by the local cognoscenti.

(The roles of Pat's and Geno's in the KC Q universe are played by Byrant's and Gates'. Both claim descent from Kansas City's first commercial barbecue stand, opened in 1921 by an African-American migrant from Memphis named Henry Perry. Here, Pat Oliveri is universally acknowledged as the inventor of the thinly sliced steak sandwich in the 1930s; cheese got added to it after World War II when a traveling salesman for Kraft showed him how he could use Cheez Whiz and thus keep his grill kosher. [The foodservice version comes in large cans; all he had to do was open the can and heat it on the grill.] Joey Vento's rival shop across the 9th and Passyunk intersection opened in 1965; his son, who was named for the shop rather than the other way around, IIRC, runs it now. Geno Vento, who came out about five years ago now, is as open and accepting as his father was xenophobic.)

I'd encourage the side trip to Max's or D'Alessandros, but if the OP hasn't done the pilgrimage to Cheesesteak Corner yet, they should just so they can say they did.
Sandy, you consistently "drag" KC into so many threads.

The thread topic is about Philadelphia!

It's fine to be proud of your hometown of course, but come on... Why? Just why?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:54 AM

744 posts, read 775,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Sandy, you consistently "drag" KC into so many threads.

The thread topic is about Philadelphia!

It's fine to be proud of your hometown of course, but come on... Why? Just why?

I enjoy the comparisons

Old 09-11-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
I would recommend this itinerary. It will be a grueling day, but you seem up for that:
  1. Have an Uber drop you off on the back side of the Philadelphia Art Museum. If you go into Fairmount park a little bit, you can sneak a quick peak of Boathouse Row. Spend some time in the museum, but save some energy for the next museums.
  2. The Rodin Museum is down JFK Blvd to the left. It's worth popping into for 10-15 minutes (admission will be covered by the Art Museum ticket)
  3. Barnes Foundation - Next door to Rodin. Awesome collection of impressionist art in an eclectic arrangement. It's the best museum in Philly.
  4. Continue down JFK Blvd through Logan Circle and to Love Park. They have food trucks there for lunch.
  5. Walk through (the courtyard of) City Hall. It's the tallest building in the world that doesn't use steel.
  6. Hit up Reading Terminal Market. The Roast Pork sandwich at Dinic's Roast Beef is a classic lunch option there. Termini Brothers is a good dessert option.
  7. Walk eastward along Market Street, which is starting to become nice. It's a good example of Philly starting to live up to its potential.
  8. End up in Old City and do the usual tourist stuff (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Constitution Center, Betsy Ross House). There are decent dinner options here.

If you're not into art, you can skip going-into the Philly Art Museum and the Rodin Museum, but you should still walk past them (if you can) for a free and quick memorable experience at each:
  • Philly Art Museum - Walking down the front steps and seeing the Rocky Statue
  • Rodin Museum - The Thinker and The Gates of Hell are both located outside of the building (prior to admission)

Map of the above route

The above should be a busy day in itself. South Philly is fun, but that would require a 2nd day. If you go there, the must-dos are:
  • South Street
  • Termini Brothers Bakery
  • Italian Market (be sure to visit Dibruno Brothers and Paesano's)
  • Pat's/Geno's - You go for the atmosphere and history more than the mediocre cheesesteaks.
Nice suggestions but you mean Ben Franklin Pkwy, not JFK Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia