Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 08:32 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
The municipalities need to do a cost/benefit analysis of what they are contributing vs benefits in terms of jobs, revenue, etc. I don't agree with wasting money on this, but it's possible that it's clearly net gain for the city or state (I don't personally know what the numbers are for this).
I don't know what the numbers are either, and I did public sector economic development the fist third of my career, but never with regards to this issue. You'd have to make a lot of assumptions on jobs, economic multipliers, cost of capital, interest rates, etc over the lifecycle of the stadium. My gut tells me in pure dollars it may be a wash, but the prestige that teams bring is a pretty big factor for a city. When people found out that Leonard Tose almost moved the Eagles to Phoenix due to his financial troubles, they went ballistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 05:11 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Dear fans and Philadelphians,

We fooled you into believing we were actually a championship caliber team. We fooled you into thinking that we would be competitive in our division. And we especially fooled you into believing that we would create a winning dynasty that would last for longer than one season. But you will still, foolishly, have tail gate parties. You will still waste your hard earned money on season tickets. That makes us happy!

From Eagles management

OT! Congrats to the Dodgers and to Chase Utley who is going to another World Series. Now that guy understands what being a champion means.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:33 AM

1,397 posts, read 914,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Dear fans and Philadelphians,

We fooled you into believing we were actually a championship caliber team. We fooled you into thinking that we would be competitive in our division. And we especially fooled you into believing that we would create a winning dynasty that would last for longer than one season. But you will still, foolishly, have tail gate parties. You will still waste your hard earned money on season tickets. That makes us happy!

From Eagles management

OT! Congrats to the Dodgers and to Chase Utley who is going to another World Series. Now that guy understands what being a champion means.
Tailgating isn't foolish not matter how bad the team is. LOL.

The Eagles still have the foundation to be an elite team for many years. It's so difficult to repeat in the NFL that it shouldn't be surprising that this year isn't going as smoothly as last year. There's still a chance to win the division, though, just because the other teams are all pretty bad, too. They just have to stop blowing 2 TD leads in the 4th quarter.

And I love Utley, but he isn't even on the Dodgers playoff roster. He's been done for a couple years, and it's barely even a feel good story at this point.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Tailgating isn't foolish not matter how bad the team is. LOL.

The Eagles still have the foundation to be an elite team for many years. It's so difficult to repeat in the NFL that it shouldn't be surprising that this year isn't going as smoothly as last year. There's still a chance to win the division, though, just because the other teams are all pretty bad, too. They just have to stop blowing 2 TD leads in the 4th quarter.

And I love Utley, but he isn't even on the Dodgers playoff roster. He's been done for a couple years, and it's barely even a feel good story at this point.
Until the Eagles actually become an elite team why keep saying they will? They have to prove that they are.

Unless something has changed and he has already left the Dodger's organization, Utley will still get a ring if they win the WS, right?

Old 10-22-2018, 07:59 AM

1,397 posts, read 914,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Until the Eagles actually become an elite team why keep saying they will? They have to prove that they are.

Unless something has changed and he has already left the Dodger's organization, Utley will still get a ring if they win the WS, right?
The Eagles are an elite team. No team wins every year, and it's damn near impossible to repeat in the NFL. The Patriots won their first SB in 2001. They were 9-7 the next year (and missed the playoffs) and then 14-2 SB champs again the two following seasons. The Eagles right now with Wentz are positioned almost identically to the Pats in 2002. Whether they can sustain their dominance for almost 20 years depends on a lot of things (especially whether Wentz plays into his 40s, which is never a given), but just because they aren't atop the standings for this season has almost no bearing on their long term outlook. Question the dynasty if things still aren't going according to plan next year. This year is just a hiccup.

I don't know if Utley gets a ring or not, but he has one already anyway, so there's little in sentimental value, and if he does get one this year, that's nice, he will have done very little to earn it.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:46 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Fans are now being greedy especially after the eagles won their 1st SB in team history. Now they expect to repeat after all the heart break they suffered during the Andy Reid era? The last team to repeat was in 2005. Before that it was 1993 so not sure why fans are being all cocky thinking teams was just going to lay down and let the eagles win.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:08 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,063 times
I don't expect to repeat. And I don't expect them to win them all, either. But it's not that they lose; it's the WAY they lose. Same with the Flyers. These teams seem to snatch defeat from the hands of victory. **Sigh**

Signed, a long-suffering Philly sports fan.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:12 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I don't expect to repeat. And I don't expect them to win them all, either. But it's not that they lose; it's the WAY they lose. Same with the Flyers. These teams seem to snatch defeat from the hands of victory. **Sigh**

Signed, a long-suffering Philly sports fan.
Those are things that happens in a NFL game. And a 17 pt lead is not that big if the other team scores a TD because they lead falls to 10 pts. Lot of fans forget that when a team scores a TD they get 7 pts so by scoring twice that 17 pt lead is now reduced to 3 which means a NFL game is never over until the clock says zero.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
The Eagles are an elite team.

I don't know if Utley gets a ring or not, but he has one already anyway, so there's little in sentimental value, and if he does get one this year, that's nice, he will have done very little to earn it.
How does 50+ years of zero championships, until earlier this year, translate into an "elite team"?

Re: Utley. That was a Phillies ring complete with the Phillies " P". No sentimental for a Dodgers ring? Utley is an Angelino native he grew up with the Dodgers. How many MLB baseball players get to play for their hometown teams? Few I'm sure. Jamie Moyer did. Utley did. I'm certain receiving another WS ring would mean something to him.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Fans are now being greedy especially after the eagles won their 1st SB in team history. Now they expect to repeat after all the heart break they suffered during the Andy Reid era? The last team to repeat was in 2005. Before that it was 1993 so not sure why fans are being all cocky thinking teams was just going to lay down and let the eagles win.
A winning record would be nice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia