Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:31 AM

11 posts, read 13,178 times

Advertisements

Oh dear, I suppose I placed my question in the wrong part of this forum. A user suggested I make a thread in the Philadelphia section. It does make sense, as I am looking to be near Center City.

Let’s try this again

When are you moving?
Eh ... maybe 1 year, 2?? Not sure. Hopefully soon.

Where are you coming from?
New York City.

Why are you moving?
Change of scenery. Struggling to keep up with how expensive this city is. Saving money for a down payment at the moment.

Where will you be working?
Husband will work in Center City. I work from home.

Have you been here yet?
Yes, many times. Love the atmosphere.

Will you buy or rent?
Buy. Don’t want to deal with renting anymore.

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
Townhome. 200k or lower. 2 bedrooms at least. If we have to go any higher, at least below 250k. Though we hope that isn’t the case. First time home buyers. Don’t want to spend so much for our first home.

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married. No kids yet.

Do you prefer public or private schools?
Public, for when we eventually have a child.

Do you have pets?
No.

Do you want or need a yard?
Would love one, but won’t complain if not an option.

Are you keeping a car?
One car. Husband drives. I don’t.

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
Hmm .. We want to live in the suburbs, with access to public transport. Bus, trolley, or train. Whichever is available. As I don’t drive, it would help to get around the area (run errands, go to the doctors, etc), maybe even to Center City from time to time.

Husband would like the option of driving or taking the Septa to work. Less than an hour commute.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work, as mentioned above. Would be great to have a grocery store, hospital, possibly shopping center/mall/parks in the area.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Husband and I both grew up in predominantly Caucasian areas. What we are used to. We would like to stick to that. Just looking for something familiar. The important thing, is that we are looking to live in a safe, family-friendly neighborhood.

Phillies, Pirates or Mets? Neither.

Right, hopefully this is okay. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 07:58 PM

Update:

I don’t want to seem super picky. Let me fix a few things. I didn’t want to come off as asking for too much.

- Diverse, safe, family-friendly neighborhood. Still in the suburbs.
- An hour or less via car to Center City. Up to an hour and a half via Septa. For the Husband that is.
- For me, as long as I have a Septa option somewhere in the area.

Everything else I filled out before stays the same. Hoping to figure this all out soon. So excited to start the next chapter of my life. Buying a home, starting a family one day.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:58 PM

I’ve tried doing some of my own research. Ridley Park looks like it could have a few options. However, those options would be semi detached homes. Which, at this point, is fine by me. Almost no transit options. Yes, I see a regional rail line passes through. Still seeking help. Thanks

Old 06-05-2018, 02:18 PM

744 posts, read 775,848 times
I would recommend looking at Glenside and Ambler near their respective train stations as long as you are ok with rowhouses.

Maybe also look at Bridgeport. Bridgeport is considered "up and coming" and is in the upper merion school district. It can appear rough in parts but is generally considered safe as far as I know. I believe it has a train station but check into its frequency. Maybe also look at Collingswood NJ

Old 06-05-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I would recommend looking at Glenside and Ambler near their respective train stations as long as you are ok with rowhouses.

Maybe also look at Bridgeport. Bridgeport is considered "up and coming" and is in the upper merion school district. It can appear rough in parts but is generally considered safe as far as I know. I believe it has a train station but check into its frequency. Maybe also look at Collingswood NJ
As long as the neighborhoods are safe and family friendly. So thanks for the info I’m looking to stay in PA, rather than NJ. But I will take what you’ve written on board.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:52 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,554,854 times
I think you are asking for a lot with a limited budget. In addition, it costs more to buy in walkable suburbs.

Keep in mind, town homes are referred to as row homes in Philly (I say this because one of the posters asked if you are OK with row homes).

Although you don't want to rent, you are in a good position to rent first while you try and figure out the areas. Unfortunately, you will move twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaze View Post
As long as the neighborhoods are safe and family friendly. So thanks for the info I’m looking to stay in PA, rather than NJ. But I will take what you’ve written on board.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I think you are asking for a lot with a limited budget. In addition, it costs more to buy in walkable suburbs.

Keep in mind, town homes are referred to as row homes in Philly (I say this because one of the posters asked if you are OK with row homes).

Although you don't want to rent, you are in a good position to rent first while you try and figure out the areas. Unfortunately, you will move twice.
Oh, I see. Thank you. Sigh ... just really want to get out of renting. Badly. And I want to buy so that I don’t throw my money away. I’d rather invest it. But it looks like I’ll never get out of where I’m at.

Literally can’t do a higher budget

Old 06-06-2018, 05:52 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post

One of my cousins lives in Bridgeport about a block away from the NHSL so transit is definitely there. Not sure I would describe it as "up and coming" but it seems safe.

My cousin is in his early 30s, married, no kids yet.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
One of my cousins lives in Bridgeport about a block away from the NHSL so transit is definitely there. Not sure I would describe it as "up and coming" but it seems safe.

My cousin is in his early 30s, married, no kids yet.
There seems to be a belief among a lot of people that Bridgeport will be the next Conshy. There has been a LOT of construction and a slow trickle of new businesses opening up; perhaps most notably is the new Conshy Brewing location in Bridgeport. What is interesting to me is that the locals seem to welcome gentrification. It is in a great location and in a good school district so I definitely understand the sense of inevitability of it's gentrification.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaze View Post
Oh, I see. Thank you. Sigh ... just really want to get out of renting. Badly. And I want to buy so that I don’t throw my money away. I’d rather invest it. But it looks like I’ll never get out of where I’m at.

Literally can’t do a higher budget
There is stuff in your budget. You are not asking for a lot of space with your house so I think you will definitely be able to find something as long as you are not expecting the house to be completely updated. The only walkable towns I think you will be priced out of are the mainline towns (Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Radnor, Malvern, Wayne etc.), Media, West Chester, and Conshohocken. Probably wont be able to afford Jenkintown either. Don't despair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia