Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:37 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times

Advertisements

I always tell people that for the real Philly sandwich, have the roast pork with broccoli rabe and provolone at Dinics in the Reading Terminal Market, or at John's Roast Pork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 11:13 AM

184 posts, read 370,523 times
I always tell people that for the real Philly sandwich, have the roast pork with broccoli rabe and provolone at Tony Luke's.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:16 AM

752 posts, read 460,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
I always tell people that for the real Philly sandwich, have the roast pork with broccoli rabe and provolone at Dinics in the Reading Terminal Market, or at John's Roast Pork.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discndav View Post
I always tell people that for the real Philly sandwich, have the roast pork with broccoli rabe and provolone at Tony Luke's.

I love, and I mean love pork but the reality is that Americans greatly prefer beef. I know many people who don't care for the taste of pork - sharp cheeses and bitter greens aren't exactly aligned with the typical American palate ether. So I don't think it's an accident that the generally accepted top tier sandwich is beef despite any "the other white meat" rah-rah they might hear from locals.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:15 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You are going to a foreign country where you don't speak the language on a solo journey. Sounds fantastic and the kind of thing I have done a few times.

Btw, the owners of John's and City View Pizza on Spring Garden St are Greek-American. You know where these places are, I'm sure. Zorba's on Fairmount Ave, which has been there for years...but okay you aren't friends with any Greek people is what
you mean.

This sounds like an amazing trip tbh. I've never been to Greece. I've been to Egypt which was humbling and staggering to take in emotionally.
I actually didn't know that. thanks, absolutely what you said. Zorba's is on my radar this holiday break precisely because I'm heading over there.

Thanks.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:15 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I have no idea how Delassandro's maintains their quality. They have good hoagies too. They're on the new best hoagies list in the Phila. Magazine.
I ride past Dalessandro's often enough on the Route 65 bus but have yet to interrupt my trip by getting off it at Henry Avenue and going there to have one. A friend of mine is planning a "cheesesteak tour" that should remedy this.

I think it was also on the list of "30 Cheesesteaks to Eat Before You Die" in our October 2018 issue. So is Chubby's, directly across Henry Avenue from it; I've had a few people tell me they think their steaks are better than Dalessandro's'.

The very first place mentioned in this article, Max's (Erie and Germantown avenues; there's also one at Cottman and Oxford avenues, at Five Points in the Northeast), is also a must-eat. It's gotten more tourist love ever since it was featured in "Creed."

I can also vouch for Joe's Steaks and Soda (Frankford and Girard in Fishtown; the original is on Torresdale Avenue just south of the Tacony neighborhood in the Northeast) as an outstanding steak. Many probably would know nothing of this place had it not been for the stink a bunch of stuck-in-the-past Northeast residents raised once its owner put his name on it in place of his father's racially insulting nickname. The resulting publicity put it on the map for many who would otherwise never have set foot in the Northeast.

Forgot about Cleavers, which I see didn't make this list of 30 but should have.

Pat's and Geno's are basically trading on their legend (well, Geno's trades on its location across from Pat's; it's much newer, having opened in 1965). Like Bryant's and Gates' for barbecue in my hometown. But I will say this about Geno's: its owner is a real clean freak - that's the only restaurant kitchen I've ever been in where you could literally eat off the floor, everything there is so clean.

As Geno Vento is a major benefactor of the Philadelphia Gay Men's Chorus, however, I don't care if there are better steaks out there (and there are), you should go have one at Geno's.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:17 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I love, and I mean love pork but the reality is that Americans greatly prefer beef. I know many people who don't care for the taste of pork - sharp cheeses and bitter greens aren't exactly aligned with the typical American palate ether. So I don't think it's an accident that the generally accepted top tier sandwich is beef despite any "the other white meat" rah-rah they might hear from locals.
While many are fine with cured pork.... lol Bacon, sausage....

Again do they want a more authentic Philadelphia experience or don't they?

Old 12-08-2018, 08:29 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
As Geno Vento is a major benefactor of the Philadelphia Gay Men's Chorus, however, I don't care if there are better steaks out there (and there are), you should go have one at Geno's.
Footnote: Joey Vento named his son for the shop, not the other way around. Note the opening date for the shop. Geno's much younger than 53.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Footnote: Joey Vento named his son for the shop, not the other way around. Note the opening date for the shop. Geno's much younger than 53.
He's the one who made national news with the "Speak English" when ordering stuff.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I actually didn't know that. thanks, absolutely what you said. Zorba's is on my radar this holiday break precisely because I'm heading over there.

Thanks.
The John of John's has retired but his son-in-law is a chef there. He's usually there at night.

Sava, who had the pizza joint where City View is back in the 90s., owns that building. He's Greek-American as is the young guy who took over the pizza business. I haven't seen him in a while though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia