Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 03:31 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,524,659 times

Advertisements

Well, gentrification radiates outwards from Center City and outward from the main corridors. The Broad Street corridor seems pretty Lively up to about the Broad/Erie area, and eventually Germantown Ave can be a jumping corridor as well.

Unfortunately there are still many parts of the city below Lehigh Avenue that are nowhere near gentrified, but on the bright side these will be the next areas to see investment from developers and new residents in the not too far future. Also unfortunate is that many places north of Lehigh are unsuitable for large scale development at this time.

Philly needs investment. I'm not even talking about just from the city or state by themselves. If there is never any big foreign interest or the city can't attract other Americans from lack of jobs, well to put it lightly the city will just stagnate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 07:29 AM

70 posts, read 58,667 times
There are a few projects at Lehigh Avenue and north of it.

Broad & Erie
The Beury

17th & Allegheny
(just moved out of my apartment across the street from this lol)
https://philly.curbed.com/2019/8/9/2...-philly-campus

Broad & Glenwood
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190221.html

North Broad has tremendous potential. The Hospital is also a good institution. Not to mention the housing stock between Glenwood and Erie Ave is beautiful.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 AM

333 posts, read 282,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von7philly View Post
Nice answer, I think a revitalized Germantown and Mt.Airy would be great for the city. The housing stock is beautiful and one of the best in the city yet I have heard some complain there isn't much there as far as nightlife for young professionals.

Olney is also a interesting case. It has great transportation, can be rougher in some areas but overall seems stable. Would it gentrify from the north or the south in your opinion? Because to the south there is Logan, Hunting Park, Nicetown that are in need of revitalization. Logan has nicer blocks but not really sure of the overall stability of the neighborhood.
Olney is one of the more fascinating neighborhoods in the city. After much of the longtime German / Irish Catholic population fled in the late 80s and 90s, the area became an incredible melting pot. It got a bit rougher in spots, yes, particularly the southern parts closer to the Boulevard, but mostly it just transformed into a mini U.N. right in our own backyard.

While I would like to see continued investment in the neighborhood, I echo the other posters in being wary of wholesale gentrification here. Given its distance from Center City, I don't think we have to worry about hipsters just yet, but given the incredible bones and transit access here, it's only a matter of time before more people take notice of it. Any gentrification that does happen would have to come from the south, IMO--Olney / East Oak Lane border on Montgomery County, and I can't see Cheltenham / Elkins / Melrose Park residents ever clamoring to move down there.

Speaking of the south, Logan is a neighborhood that I don't think is nearly as stable as Olney, but again, it's got the bones, transit access, and housing stock to be something again one day. More to its credit, as rough as it can seem in parts, it's not a bombed-out hellscape. The neighborhood structure is mostly intact, so if / when development sparks there, it could move quickly, since there's a lot there to work with.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:08 AM

744 posts, read 775,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Well, gentrification radiates outwards from Center City and outward from the main corridors. The Broad Street corridor seems pretty Lively up to about the Broad/Erie area, and eventually Germantown Ave can be a jumping corridor as well.

Unfortunately there are still many parts of the city below Lehigh Avenue that are nowhere near gentrified, but on the bright side these will be the next areas to see investment from developers and new residents in the not too far future. Also unfortunate is that many places north of Lehigh are unsuitable for large scale development at this time.

Philly needs investment. I'm not even talking about just from the city or state by themselves. If there is never any big foreign interest or the city can't attract other Americans from lack of jobs, well to put it lightly the city will just stagnate.
I agree that the conventional wisdowm is that gentrification occurs in a radium around center city. I think NW Phily is a bit different. To the contrary the areas farther away from center city are more valuable (i.e. Chestnut Hill). The nicest part of E. Mt. Airy is its northern section, the least nice is the SW section. The pricing seems to be best on proximity to chestnut hill and general quality of the housing stock.

I live in East Mt. Airy and have noticed a recent influx of people moving here from neighborhoods like fishtown and east passyunk. I think that, like me, these people were part of the first wave of people to gentrify those areas and are now seeking a greener area with a bit more space but without giving up the urban feel. Its easy to live here, have trees, live in an old house with character, be able to walk to the train and walk to Germantown ave. There are also a decent number of people that move up here from Manayunk. A lot of these people were renters and found themselves unwilling to pay the price to live in south philly or fishtown. A lot of them move up here when they want to have kids. NW Philly provides a beautiful and unique alternative to the suburbs.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:38 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:

Broad & Erie
The Beury
It would be incredible if they could pull that off.

In Wayne Junction, this property will soon have a microbrewery.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:19 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:

Broad & Erie
The Beury

17th & Allegheny
(just moved out of my apartment across the street from this lol)
https://philly.curbed.com/2019/8/9/2...-philly-campus

Broad & Glenwood
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190221.html

North Broad has tremendous potential. The Hospital is also a good institution. Not to mention the housing stock between Glenwood and Erie Ave is beautiful.
Not just Temple Med, Shriner's is Temple Hospital's next door neighbor.

Yes, about houses on Erie Ave. A lot of them are beautiful.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:25 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
It would be incredible if they could pull that off.

In Wayne Junction, this property will soon have a microbrewery.
Unfortunately not much seems to be happening with the Beury except some scaffolding. But it took about 10 years to finally finish the Divine Lorraine and the Met.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Unfortunately not much seems to be happening with the Beury except some scaffolding. But it took about 10 years to finally finish the Divine Lorraine and the Met.
Yeah I have seen that for the past year.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:56 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,452,558 times
Quote:
I agree West Mt.Airy is very stable. That's also a great point about Einstein and LaSalle. I can't help but wonder at times, if the revitalization of North Philly will lead to serious decline in these areas as well as others places like Northeast and along the BLVD.
Don't you think the Northwest offers something distinct that will keep people there/moving there, despite any revitalization of North Philly? The Northwest has bigger houses, way more greenery (Wissahickon Park is a beast and the pride of many residents of the area), history, developed mini "downtowns" etc. It is a great place for people who want city life with a bit more elbow room and greenery.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Don't you think the Northwest offers something distinct that will keep people there/moving there, despite any revitalization of North Philly? The Northwest has bigger houses, way more greenery (Wissahickon Park is a beast and the pride of many residents of the area), history, developed mini "downtowns" etc. It is a great place for people who want city life with a bit more elbow room and greenery.
Yes I’m very fond of the area. I used to live on Wissahickon ave, but my concern is as people move out of north philly they have to relocate somewhere. And culturally this area is linked with North philly meaning it’s not common for residents of either to frequent both areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia