Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So which fits best as a local. your accepting us of "Philly"
Fine with it if not used as derogatory and see it as not demeaning. 8 21.05%
I never use it. But does not offend me in the least. 3 7.89%
Though overused.... i've come to just accept it. 3 7.89%
i abhor its use and do see it as demeaning. 1 2.63%
I use it myself. I find it a great nick affecianately used by far 17 44.74%
It just gets overused and never should be formally used or replace our Respected Official FULL Name -- as PHILADELPHIA 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 07:19 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,246,629 times

Advertisements

Seems some in a thread do? Yet it is so common and I never seen it used as to be derogatory.

So Locals .... what is your opinions on this oh so common nickname? Its thru soooo many threads and used on links on the city too.

It certainly has become common Nationally you to use.

How about your personal take on it ..... I've personally been told it is annoying and disrespectful basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 07:37 AM

333 posts, read 283,031 times
This is the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest that "Philly" as a name is derogatory or disrespectful.
It's always seemed to me like another delightful quirk that everyone embraced, especially post Super Bowl ("Philly Special", etc.).

Old 09-16-2019, 07:54 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Never heard of anyone thinking it was derogatory. Hey we’ve even spawned the PhillyCheesesteak!

Old 09-16-2019, 08:10 AM

752 posts, read 460,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Never heard of anyone thinking it was derogatory. Hey we’ve even spawned the PhillyCheesesteak!
Are you from Philadelphia? If you are not, please ignore what follows.

No one local should call the sandwich that. It's a "cheese steak" or simply a "steak". I get why people from out of town call it that but once again, I have heard local-ish people call it a Philly cheese steak. And I have seen for the first time in my life some local pizza place menus advertising the sandwich with the "Philly" in front. Annoying. I feel like in another 20 years, the entire country is going to be one big Indiana.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 AM

1,397 posts, read 916,668 times
I have never heard or considered "Philly" to be a derogatory or demeaning term and its usage doesn't bother me at all.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:44 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Wow, I apparently pushed some buttons with the anti-Philly nickname thing so much so that a poster felt compelled to create a thread about it. Lol.

Now, remember this poster is the same poster who ranted continually about how horrid Philadelphia row houses were and are compared to bungalows in Chicago. So he likes "Philly" but hates something that makes Philadelphia what it is and definitely defines it.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:03 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,246,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Wow, I apparently pushed some buttons with the anti-Philly nickname thing so much so that a poster felt compelled to create a thread about it. Lol.

Now, remember this poster is the same poster who ranted continually about how horrid Philadelphia row houses were and are compared to bungalows in Chicago. So he likes "Philly" but hates something that makes Philadelphia what it is and definitely defines it.
You forgot to add you comment on use of the nickname "Philly" So others know your view of dislike of it. Also your input as to why?

As for built environment of cities ..... not part of this thread. I did grow up on a alley-sized street in a small city I live near. Own a home still there I lived and my Mother still lives in the home I grew up in. Neither was a row. But attached one attached to one in part and mine was inches from another with attached roofs.

After-all. You have said you love Chicago too.... never really read why though? Guess it isn't housing?
Quote:
I've been to Chicago, St Louis, Omaha and Lincoln( NE). Never been to KC. I love Chicago. The others I have not spent enough time in to say very much. I've spent way more time in the south.

I avoid chain restaurants so I don't see much of what you mean.

It's probably just me but I don't require total strangers talking to me like they know me.
But thanks for the idea for this thread with your attitude and "Philly" term comment of dislike of its use ..... you made quite clear and me out for using it. After all...... we sometimes get ideas from others opinions and comments that are in the minority it seems. But some will agree, while most will not. Like many things in life in general.

Maybe others will continue to comment and vote here? Or maybe you did as you intended. Try to have the thread ended because I created it.....

Last edited by DavePa; 09-16-2019 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-16-2019, 11:02 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
Quote:

DavePA is so quick to take shots at Philadelphia, and consistently brings up Philadelphia in a rather disparaging or "lesser than" tone, yet "Philly" is fine in their eyes, therefore it should be fine in everyones eyes....

And I knew this would happen, lol. We have a minority opinion, and some posters got their feathers ruffled because they don't understand our viewpoint, or they are looking too far into it.

Again, I don't lose sleep over it, but I find it to be one of the more disparaging colloquial terms, especially when used in a professional environment.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-17-2019 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: removed rude comment

Old 09-16-2019, 05:59 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,590,134 times
Philly is fine. But, I cringe when someone from someplace else writes Phili or Philli.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:24 PM

14,186 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Are you from Philadelphia? If you are not, please ignore what follows.

No one local should call the sandwich that. It's a "cheese steak" or simply a "steak". I get why people from out of town call it that but once again, I have heard local-ish people call it a Philly cheese steak. And I have seen for the first time in my life some local pizza place menus advertising the sandwich with the "Philly" in front. Annoying. I feel like in another 20 years, the entire country is going to be one big Indiana.
I have a rule of thumb that goes as follows:

Any place that says it serves a "Philly cheesesteak" doesn't.

I've run across only one full exception and one partial exception to this rule to date.

The full exception is a pub/bar/concert venue in the Crossroads Arts District of my hometown of Kansas City (keep quiet, kyb01, it's relevant to this particular sub-topic) called Grinders. The menu lists their "Original Philly" cheesesteaks, with this legend below it:

"Voted Best Cheesesteak West of the Mississippi"

I have no idea who did the voting, but Grinders' cheesesteaks would hold their own back here. And I have the judgment of a native to back me up on this too - he accompanied me on my last trip back, and we all ate there. A waitress explained one of the secrets to me on a prior visit, when I didn't order a cheesesteak there:

They have rolls flown in from Amoroso Baking Company.

The partial exception is a chain of pubs in Texas called "Texadelphia." Partial because they don't claim to serve a "Philly cheesesteak" - they call themselves the "home of the Texas Philly cheesesteak." The founder was a Pennsylvanian who migrated to Austin and decided he should give the locals a taste of his home.

Points in favor: They make their own Whiz for the unadulterated Philly version, and they also make a house-made mustard sauce that goes well with the meat and cheese. They also Texify the cheesesteaks by adding such things as jalapeño peppers on the basic model and going up the heat scale from there. (I had the one with the jalapeños, the house mustard sauce and mozzarella cheese (I think it would have been even better with provolone).

Point against: They serve the sandwiches on rolls that can't stand up to the filling. Maybe I should give them the number for Amoroso Baking Company. Do that, and these would be among the best in Philadelphia too.

Quote:

"What's in a name?

Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet?"

Pardon me for dropping Shakespeare into this, but a city's name is its name, and the name doesn't "define" it - it denotes it. What makes Philadelphia Philadelphia, or "Philly Philly" (we now have Bud Light to thank for that), is what the people who live in it and the things they do, make, build and create add up to. Were this city named Possum Trot, those things wouldn't change, except maybe a different type of person would have been attracted there. (I will grant that the city's name conjures up an image Philadelphians constantly either strive to live up to or flout with abandon, sometimes both at the same time.)

Sorry, Karen, but the adamancy with which you sometimes state your positions invites this sort of response. I've said in the past that you're an outlier, and you yourself acknowledge as much. I strongly suspect that most Philadelphians really don't give two s**ts whether someone uses the city's full name or the diminutive (edited to add: depending on the context), and I also suspect that most of them use both terms as they think the occasion demands. I will speak of "North Philly," "West Philly," "Northwest Philly," etc., but whenever someone asks where I'm from, I never say "Philly" - always "Philadelphia." The occasion demands it IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia