Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 06:39 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I am sort of new to the area and live about 30 miles outside of the city so I am not too familiar with Philly itself.
I say that to make it clear that most of this is kind of new to me, and I certainly have no preconceived ideas or expectations or biases here. I thought that article was quite fair, and I have to say, troubling. The local news we get on TV is of course Philly based, and I haven't heard this mentioned, but honestly other than her being appointed I do not recall seeing her even mentioned. I thought the quotes from the policeman were very telling.
“We’re used to more from our commissioners,” David Fisher of the National Black Police Association said Monday. “We’re used to our commissioners being very visible in this city. We’re used to commissioners addressing issues within the communities, whether they are crime issues or police doing good deeds… .”

“We [hadn’t] had a commissioner since August of 2019,” he added. “I welcomed her and I was in support of her. It’s hard to support someone who is invisible. It means something to the troops when some people are working at home and the troops are out there in the streets every day. … This is what I’m getting from officers out there on the street. They need to see her."
Not about Outlaw specifically, but Krasner as DA has been a disaster, imo. I say that as a fairly liberal Democrat and huge fan of former DA Lynn Abraham who was also a Democrat.

Ah, no, Outlaw was not the Commish in August, 2019. She came onboard back in February, I think. Between last August
, 2019 and Feb., 2020 we had an acting Commish, Christine Coulter. So, the guy above is confused.

Outlaw was pretty out there before the pandemic. A cop was shot and killed right after she started. But, tbh, I have not seen her since.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:11 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
My confusion is with what the police are doing? Are they on the streets patrolling? It seems like crime in general is decreasing in Philadelphia (less gun violence), but stories about robbery infuriate me. I sure hope enforcement is stepped up once things re-open.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:29 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
I posted in the crime thread about an exponential increase in attempted robbery at my building in Old City. I've watched 5 on our security camera (Im on the HOA) a few of which happened in broad daylight/prime weekend hours. If we didn't have a mag lock installed a couple months ago, it would be like a revolving door in our building.

I don't know what the cops are doing out there, but they are not visable and the messege they sent to the scum out there was "we're not around so go do your thing."

Old 05-04-2020, 09:56 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
I still cannot believe that they ANNOUNCED that they would not be pursuing certain crimes a month or so ago. Someone else mentioned it, but it really is the most incompetent thing I have ever heard a police department/municipality do.

Danielle Outlaw's name is fitting.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:10 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I still cannot believe that they ANNOUNCED that they would not be pursuing certain crimes a month or so ago. Someone else mentioned it, but it really is the most incompetent thing I have ever heard a police department/municipality do.

Danielle Outlaw's name is fitting.
Totally shocking. And the impact of it was seen immediately out there on the streets. You'd think they would at least make some attempt to blunt the effect of that total blunder but there has been nothing.

This has the potential to set Philly back decades from a crime perspective. There is NO ONE out there patroling the city.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:36 PM

100 posts, read 42,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
My confusion is with what the police are doing? Are they on the streets patrolling? It seems like crime in general is decreasing in Philadelphia (less gun violence), but stories about robbery infuriate me. I sure hope enforcement is stepped up once things re-open.
Less gun violence? Philly's still up 20% in homicides from year ago and the highest rate since at least 2007.

What are the cops doing about the gun violence and homicides now that ''other'' crime has so drastically decreased since the lockdown?

Old 05-04-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Not about Outlaw specifically, but Krasner as DA has been a disaster, imo. I say that as a fairly liberal Democrat and huge fan of former DA Lynn Abraham who was also a Democrat.

Ah, no, Outlaw was not the Commish in August, 2019. She came onboard back in February, I think. Between last August
, 2019 and Feb., 2020 we had an acting Commish, Christine Coulter. So, the guy above is confused.

Outlaw was pretty out there before the pandemic. A cop was shot and killed right after she started. But, tbh, I have not seen her since.
The officer quoted was referring to the temporary commissioner appointed last August, not Commissioner Casper.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:40 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent70 View Post
Less gun violence? Philly's still up 20% in homicides from year ago and the highest rate since at least 2007.

What are the cops doing about the gun violence and homicides now that ''other'' crime has so drastically decreased since the lockdown?
Others are talking about COVID-19 trends and Outlaw's arrival. You are right that YoY homicides are up. However, since COVID-19 (mid-March), a lot of crime has been down (with exceptions, such as domestic violence).

Old 05-04-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I posted in the crime thread about an exponential increase in attempted robbery at my building in Old City. I've watched 5 on our security camera (Im on the HOA) a few of which happened in broad daylight/prime weekend hours. If we didn't have a mag lock installed a couple months ago, it would be like a revolving door in our building.

I don't know what the cops are doing out there, but they are not visable and the messege they sent to the scum out there was "we're not around so go do your thing."
The Police Commissioner is absent. How this is possible is beyond me. She's been on the job for 3 months and no one has seen her in about 2 months....wtf?

No visible cop leadership=no visible cops.

Last edited by Kent70; 05-04-2020 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-04-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Others are talking about COVID-19 trends and Outlaw's arrival. You are right that YoY homicides are up. However, since COVID-19 (mid-March), a lot of crime has been down (with exceptions, such as domestic violence).
All crime is down except homicides. I realize this and stated same.

I also asked with no ''other'' crime going on, how could the gun violence/homicides continue to climb at the highest levels in over 10 years? The ''other'' crime is down because no one is outside. how can the gun violence continue to spiral?

The cops should focus on the gun violence.

Kenney had to go out and find 1) female and 2) an african-american female to appease the ''progressives''. We now have a police commissioner with a little experience from Portland OR dropped into a city completely out of her league. All in the name of ''diversity'' at any cost; a pre-determined outcome is never the way to hire anyone, let alone the police commissioner in a city like Philly.

When the first policy change is nail color polish, well....

At least Philly is committed to being ''progressive''. Reap the benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia