Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 10:17 AM

558 posts, read 299,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
At certain times in certain neighborhoods, yes. And if you can't parallel park really well, it's way worse. I was pretty good at finding spots aggressively and parking with very limited room. It would take me 20 - 30 mins especially around 6pm on a week night. Others had worse luck.

On a Tuesday morning at 10am, you can find quite a few spots because people left for work. I lived around Clarion St and Tasker in Passyunk Square.
I knew it was bad but had no idea how bad. In Chicago, some neighborhoods are tough but they built alleys into the grid which meant garages for most. It goes a long way towards relieving parking congestion.

Aren't there pubic garages or lots in South Philly to help mitigate the problem? I would think they could get a decent buck if the parking is as bad as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 11:17 AM

1,213 posts, read 956,169 times
Quote:
At certain times in certain neighborhoods, yes. And if you can't parallel park really well, it's way worse. I was pretty good at finding spots aggressively and parking with very limited room. It would take me 20 - 30 mins especially around 6pm on a week night. Others had worse luck.

On a Tuesday morning at 10am, you can find quite a few spots because people left for work. I lived around Clarion St and Tasker in Passyunk Square.
LOL... If you're driving around looking for a parking spot for a half hour, you have strange priorities. Everyone in the city knows where the "go-to" spots are. I can think of several off the top of my head not all that far from Tasker and Clarion. You might have to walk 6-8 blocks, but I've never ever driven around for 30 minutes looking for a parking spot. That includes when I lived in NL, Passyunk Sq. and Pennsport. If you lived at 15th and Walnut, then yeah, you're gonna have problems, but any of the surrounding neighborhoods aren't all that bad.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:30 AM

558 posts, read 299,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
LOL... You might have to walk 6-8 blocks, but I've never ever driven around for 30 minutes looking for a parking spot.
Parking 6-8 blocks from home would be really ugly. Not my ideal lifestyle, thanks.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:52 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
LOL... If you're driving around looking for a parking spot for a half hour, you have strange priorities. Everyone in the city knows where the "go-to" spots are. I can think of several off the top of my head not all that far from Tasker and Clarion. You might have to walk 6-8 blocks, but I've never ever driven around for 30 minutes looking for a parking spot. That includes when I lived in NL, Passyunk Sq. and Pennsport. If you lived at 15th and Walnut, then yeah, you're gonna have problems, but any of the surrounding neighborhoods aren't all that bad.
That's fine, but I'm certainly not alone. A lot of people in Passyunk Square will say the same. And I'm talking around 6pm on a week night. There are spots further away, but I'm not a fan of parking anywhere east of 9th or 10th street that far south personally; Pennsport is safer, but further away. My priorities may seem strange, but I guess I just don't like my car broken into and other issues.

Btw, if everyone know's where the go-to spots are, why is there such a challenge with parking? Wouldn't everyone just drive and get a spot easily?

Old 05-21-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
Parking 6-8 blocks from home would be really ugly. Not my ideal lifestyle, thanks.
Well of course it's not an ideal lifestyle. It's a trade-off for living in an awesome city and not paying a monthly fee for a parking spot. I will say though that walking a few block IMO is WAY more appetizing than driving in circles for 30-45 minutes as you stated previously. That's nuts Bro.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
That's fine, but I'm certainly not alone. A lot of people in Passyunk Square will say the same. And I'm talking around 6pm on a week night. There are spots further away, but I'm not a fan of parking anywhere east of 9th or 10th street that far south personally; Pennsport is safer, but further away. My priorities may seem strange, but I guess I just don't like my car broken into and other issues.
Yeah, I hear you. Although, from what I've experienced, you can safely go down to into Dickens Narrows these days for the most part. At least to 7th St. No need to be west of 10th - that's fairly extreme.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Well of course it's not an ideal lifestyle. It's a trade-off for living in an awesome city and not paying a monthly fee for a parking spot. I will say though that walking a few block IMO is WAY more appetizing than driving in circles for 30-45 minutes as you stated previously. That's nuts Bro.
If you're a man in a good hour of the day/night, physically capable, and no kids, sure no problem. But what about women in the evenings? People with disabilities?

Old 05-21-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I hear you. Although, from what I've experienced, you can safely go down to into Dickens Narrows these days for the most part. At least to 7th St. No need to be west of 10th - that's fairly extreme.
Gang activity is very much alive in this area (for a short while it was worse due to turf issues). 10th and Dickinson near the church still has frequent window break-ins for people that don't know to not park there. I don't think much has changed in regard to violence or theft in years, even though prices have went up. But I could be wrong.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Gang activity is very much alive in this area (for a short while it was worse due to turf issues). 10th and Dickinson near the church still has frequent window break-ins for people that don't know to not park there. I don't think much has changed in regard to violence or theft in years, even though prices have went up. But I could be wrong.
Wait wait wait a minute. I thought you lived in the neighborhood currently. Do you live at Tasker and Clarion now? If not, when did you live there? I could take a nap at 3am with a hundy hanging out of my pocket at 10th and Dickinson and be completely fine.

Edit to add: the fifth st Ballaz and seventh street boys took a huge hit recently. The shootings about 7 months ago were the last gasp of a dying institution. They're all but done. Dickens Narrows has arrived and pushed the gangs out of business. The kingpins headed west into Grays Ferry.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Wait wait wait a minute. I thought you lived in the neighborhood currently. Do you live at Tasker and Clarion now? If not, when did you live there? I could take a nap at 3am with a hundy hanging out of my pocket at 10th and Dickinson and be completely fine.
I moved two years ago. And if you park your car here frequently, you will have a smashed out window at some point:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9307...7i13312!8i6656

I was down there a month ago and walked that block and there was broken glass on the sidewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia