Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 06:42 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times

Advertisements

All depends where you are staying and where you are close to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaMom View Post
My husband and I are going to look for an Air BnB/Vrbo in Philly for 4 days in mid-June and I'd love to ask some locals to plan our stay. We are in our 50s, adept at city transit (never been on the train in Philly but we're originally from NYC), and looking to do these possible things during our visit:

1) find a quaint, tree lined neighborhood for our Air BnB/Vrbo (we might ultimately decide to stay right in Center City, but I'm leaning toward something adjacent, just a little quieter/more foliage)
I like rowhouse's suggests of the southern half of center city along with Fairmount/Art Museum area. Quiet, tree lined. As other's have mentioned, Northwest Philadelphia is the greenest, leafiest part of the city, but if you don't plan on renting a car, I don't know if I would really suggest it.

Quote:
2) eat dinner at a great authentic Mexican restaurant for good food & Margaritas
One thing to keep in mind about the food scene here is that liquor licenses are scarce and really expensive. Which basically means this: the authenticate places are not going to be selling Margaritas. Instead many opt for a BYOB format, where you bring your alcohol. If you look at a map of Mexican restaurants, there are quiet a few centered around 9th street south of Washington avenue. People like to suggest South Philly barbacoa which has been featured on a number of food network and netflix food shows over the last few years. Birria tacos have been all the rage this past year, so the cool thing to do is go to 7th street where there are a few food trucks selling that, but the lines get way to long imo to justify a visit.

Quote:
3) get a good drink at a cool bar, even better if it has live music
Pandemic obviously makes this a diffcult call because who knows what's really open. When I think of bar plus free live music, Bob and Barbara's Lounge comes to mind. It's been around since the 1960's so the bar has a real old school feel.

Quote:
4) grab a delicious bagel and coffee in the morning
Again it depends on where you staying, but my suggest is the Israeli bakery, K'Far. It's a unique style of bagel I really enjoy and think is worth a visit for sure. Beautiful cafe too.

Quote:
5) take a walk in a beautiful city park
Nothing better than getting a bagel and sitting in Rittenhouse square park.

Quote:
6) go visit something really cool and off the tourist-track (even if we have to drive)
Idk if you will be here during it, but the flower show is a great suggestion. It's taking place in FDR park this year. It's tough to say what you would think is 'really cool'. Somethings that are described as being 'off the beaten path' like the magic gardens are the definition of a tourist trap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 08:25 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
The philly food scene is as goood or better than pretty much anywhere in the country; that said bagels and Mexican food are not what it excels at. That said the Italian market has a bunch of excellent Mexican restaurants, these are typically more hole in the wall type spots. Because of Pennsylvania liquor laws most do not serve alchohol (though byob is very common). The exception is blue corn which serves booze, is authentic and is generally very good. South philly barbacoa is also excellent but not booze.

There has been a proliferation of bagel places in philly lately. They generally aren’t nearly as good as what you will find in New York. If you want to go out of your way for a bagel and coffee then adelie coffee in mt airy has their bagels delivered from New York (I believe) daily. They have excellent coffee as well. You could pair that with a walk in the wisahickon.
Yea. In Center City though, Tequilas Restaurant / Bar at 16th & Locust was always very good and serves liquor.

Most other Mexican places in Center City are more "mainstream" style, El Vez, Lolita, etc.

Knead Bagels at 7th & Walnut is a better bagel option too, one that wasn't mentioned yet.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:46 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yea. In Center City though, Tequilas Restaurant / Bar at 16th & Locust was always very good and serves liquor.

Most other Mexican places in Center City are more "mainstream" style, El Vez, Lolita, etc.

Knead Bagels at 7th & Walnut is a better bagel option too, one that wasn't mentioned yet.
Tequilas is not bad... I just always thought it was very overpriced for how the food tasted.. which was mediocre... they attempt to be this fine dining Mexican restaurant. But eh the food taste average if not below average... I think they charge like $25 for two enchilada which taste average and I could purchase anywhere for $10 on grub hub?? Maybe that is just me. lol

I would say go to El Vez over Tequilas for the same price point but a bit of a better food quality.

I totally forgot about Cantina Dos Segundos... I think that honestly is the best full service Mexican in the city... It has a full bar. The food is fantastic. It is not overpriced...

There are two locations:

Cantina Dos Segundos - Northern Liberties

Cantina Los Caballitos - South Philadelphia/Passyunk

Edit*** - Cantina has totally eliminated nearly 3/4 of their original menu and just offer simple take out items like Burritos and Tacos. Oh man I am so over Covid..

I would say check out:

Lolita - Modern Mexican
Mission Taqueria - Modern Mexican
El Vez - Modern Mexican

Philly Barbacoa - Authentic Mexican (lunch)

Philadelphia is not known for Mexican food... We are known for Italian though

Old 04-26-2021, 09:41 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Philly bagels are decent. No, they’re not on par with New York, but nowhere in the United States reaches those heights, and I’d say that Philly’s Jewish deli culture is only one tier removed from New York.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:00 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,355 times
I might inspire outrage here saying this but, I am not able to tell the difference between a bagel made in NY and one made here in Philly. Dare I say, that there is a substantial difference is a wives tale. Further, cheesesteaks become indistinguishable after a while here. I like them all. And Lee Harvey was part of a group. And martians do not exist.

(I have assumed the fetal position. Let me have it.)

Old 04-26-2021, 10:26 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I might inspire outrage here saying this but, I am not able to tell the difference between a bagel made in NY and one made here in Philly. Dare I say, that there is a substantial difference is a wives tale. Further, cheesesteaks become indistinguishable after a while here. I like them all. And Lee Harvey was part of a group. And martians do not exist.

(I have assumed the fetal position. Let me have it.)
LOL. funny post.

Yea I do not notice a huge difference in bagel taste when comparing places between NYC and in Philadelphia...

I think it is more or less.. There just is less bagel joints in general..in Philadelphia to choose from.. (which I dislike). lol

Philadelphia is lacking in Bagels and those damn good $1 pizza slice joints compared to its bigger brother just 90 minutes to the north.

Fun fact: Bagels originally are from Poland and were brought over by Jewish immigrants. And NYC was and still is home to the largest jewish population in the USA. so it kind of makes sense how Bagels are so much a part of NYC culture...

My favorite bagels and jewish deli is Hymies out in Bala Cynwd.

And I agree... honestly I think a cheesesteak from the food cart at 18/Walnut is no different than the one at Jim's... for the most part.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
LOL. funny post.

Yea I do not notice a huge difference in bagel taste when comparing places between NYC and in Philadelphia...

I think it is more or less.. There just is less bagel joints in general..in Philadelphia to choose from.. (which I dislike). lol

Philadelphia is lacking in Bagels and those damn good $1 pizza slice joints compared to its bigger brother just 90 minutes to the north.

Fun fact: Bagels originally are from Poland and were brought over by Jewish immigrants. And NYC was and still is home to the largest jewish population in the USA. so it kind of makes sense how Bagels are so much a part of NYC culture...
I wouldn’t even say Philadelphia is lacking in bagels, so much as New York is saturated with bagel shops.

In response to your edit, Hymie’s is my overall favorite Jewish deli as well, although I give the edge to Steve Stein’s in the Northeast for smoked fish, and if you’re talking only about deli meat, Herschel’s in Reading Terminal Market is my number one. Famous 4th Street is very good, but it became a New York-style deli after Dave Auspitz sold it, so I’d put it in a different category from the homegrown institutions.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:31 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

Note: You don't have to be of Hebraic extraction to make the best NYC bagels. That honor is bestowed upon Phil Romanzi's "The Bagel Hole" in Brooklyn. He's Italian. (See video) The Old River Road Bakery in Wilkes-Barre made a very good bagel. In fact everything that they made was good. Too bad it's closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qLkEqRsmQY

Old 04-27-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Note: You don't have to be of Hebraic extraction to make the best NYC bagels.
No, but it doesn’t hurt, and generally speaking, the best bagel shops are Jewish-run. St-Viateur Bagel in Montreal is now owned and operated by an Italian, but its Jewish origins can’t be discounted.

Quote:
That honor is bestowed upon Phil Romanzi's "The Bagel Hole" in Brooklyn.
According to whom?

Quote:
He's Italian. (See video)
Bravo.

Quote:
The Old River Road Bakery in Wilkes-Barre made a very good bagel. In fact everything that they made was good. Too bad it's closed.
When were they in business?

Anyway, to get back to the point of the OP’s thread, and to make actual constructive contributions instead of stating that Philadelphia is not numero uno when it comes to bagels, there are plenty of fine establishments within and near the city limits, as evidenced by this thread.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:19 PM

1,465 posts, read 622,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I wouldn’t even say Philadelphia is lacking in bagels, so much as New York is saturated with bagel shops.

In response to your edit, Hymie’s is my overall favorite Jewish deli as well, although I give the edge to Steve Stein’s in the Northeast for smoked fish, and if you’re talking only about deli meat, Herschel’s in Reading Terminal Market is my number one. Famous 4th Street is very good, but it became a New York-style deli after Dave Auspitz sold it, so I’d put it in a different category from the homegrown institutions.
Hymie's? Ugh ... The wife and I were completely disappointed with their corned beef, pastrami and roast beef - a trifecta of substandard meat. When I mentioned this to an old-timer I know who has been in Lower Merion forever he said "Yeah, their quality has really slipped."

I'm a big fan of Famous 4th Street and Herschel's. Being as I love smoked fish, I'm gonna put Steve Stein's on my to-do list.

The best bagels I know of are from Talia's near Front and Girard.

Last edited by Hedonism; 04-27-2021 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia