Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 07:50 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
That new pizzeria is getting lots of buzz. Nice to see that Michael Schulson has returned Zavino's old space to its former use (Zavino — 'za + vino — was also a pizzeria and wine bar).

Now, will someone revive Tredici across Sansom? Given that it's now surrounded by Schulson restaurants, I guess it's just a matter of time before he does. (Tredici and Zavino were commonly owned by another restaurateur whose name I forget.)
His steakhouse Alpen Rose is one of my favorite restaurants. The beef wellington (hard to find and hard to do it right) is amazing, better than the Michelin places in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 08:08 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,844 times
Quote:
That new pizzeria is getting lots of buzz. Nice to see that Michael Schulson has returned Zavino's old space to its former use (Zavino — 'za + vino — was also a pizzeria and wine bar).
I was disappointed to see that their description of "Thin Crust" turned out to be just another Napoletana that everyone does.

True thin crust is maddingly absent from the pizza scene here, absent of Taconelli's in Port Richmond - which has it's issues outside of the pizza. They were hyping this as "thin and crispy" which is not the case. It's a very good napoletana pizza but not thin and not crispy. It's beautiful in there and I'm sure he'll kill it. Zavino was good but they never seemed to try that hard.

The search continues...

Old 04-07-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Now, will someone revive Tredici across Sansom? Given that it's now surrounded by Schulson restaurants, I guess it's just a matter of time before he does. (Tredici and Zavino were commonly owned by another restaurateur whose name I forget.)
I made that same mistake thinking that Starr would snap up some of the great rooms that sat empty in Old City after covid lockdowns. Not only did he decide against expansion into great spaces surrounding his home offfices (2nd and Market), he's done nothing with the OG Continental - the place that started it all for him - despite owning a massive space there.

There was an amazing place that closed and reopened as a hookah, cafeteria, BYOB kinda place next door to his HQ. I remember watching someone come out of his offices the day they were hanging the new signage outside that cafeteria (after they painted it a garrish blue that violated Old City code, I heard) and shaking his head like they missed an opportunity. This, of course, could be my own imagination.

Point is, I'm pissed at Starr's inactivity in his home base. Thinking that he would develop in the area simply because it's been good to him, an area that desperately needs an infusion of cool, not lounges, to replace empty store fronts, has been a frustrating exercise. But I'm not a restaurateur and I'm sure there are many variables that go into the equation.

For a while, before covid, OC was looking like a food destination. It's retreated from that, sadly, into something more resembling the "lounge district' it looked like before in the early 2000s. Old city has retraced 15 - 20 years while areas like E. Passyunk have taken the spot as the "cool guy in town."

Sorry. Triggered something there.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:58 AM

386 posts, read 266,823 times
Quote:

I think I read somewhere that Schulson bought the Tredici space too and would be opening an oyster bar.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:10 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
I think I read somewhere that Schulson bought the Tredici space too and would be opening an oyster bar.
Time for another rebranding of the 100 block of South 13th Street — "Schulson Restaurant Row"? (Sorry, Valerie and Marcy.)

Old 04-07-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
Wow. That dude is on a roll!

With "The Oyster House" just down the street, I wonder if that'll matter.

Old 04-10-2022, 06:17 AM

Anyone know if the Safron Turney restaurant opened yet in the Love Park Welcome Center?

Old 04-20-2022, 04:18 PM

33 new restaurants opening in Philly this spring and summer

https://www.inquirer.com/food/33-new...-20220420.html

Old 04-20-2022, 04:30 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
33 new restaurants opening in Philly this spring and summer

https://www.inquirer.com/food/33-new...-20220420.html
Cant even read the damm article because the inquirer wants you to pay $15 a month

Old 05-14-2022, 11:27 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
What is the big hype about chicken fingers?

https://6abc.com/raising-canes-phila...rant/11840212/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia