Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 07:59 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
If a visitor wants to go to Pat's and/or Geno's to be able to say they visited a landmark, that's cool. As you say, there are lots of other options for cheesesteaks, particular in Old City just a couple blocks from the Liberty Bell the OP wants to see. Those two shops may not be at the bottom of the list for most people but IMO it's not worth the long wait for a tourist with limited time and lots to see.
Honestly, I'd put Sonny's up there with all the other great steak places people like to promote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 08:12 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Honestly, I'd put Sonny's up there with all the other great steak places people like to promote.
Agreed. If you want a very good cheesesteak in a convenient location, go to Sonny's. If you want to visit a historical landmark that, for better or worse, is probably Philly's most famous eating establishment, go to Pat's. Or better yet, go to both! But like I said in my prior post, the walk from Pat's through the Italian Market and up to South St. is definitely worth doing.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:47 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Agreed. If you want a very good cheesesteak in a convenient location, go to Sonny's. If you want to visit a historical landmark that, for better or worse, is probably Philly's most famous eating establishment, go to Pat's. Or better yet, go to both! But like I said in my prior post, the walk from Pat's through the Italian Market and up to South St. is definitely worth doing.
My daughter was down from NY and the morning she headed back, she brought 3 Geno's and 3 Pats back up with her to the office. She then took a survey.

Reasults:

6 for Pat's
6 for Geno's

The argument rages on.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:48 AM

1,465 posts, read 622,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
My daughter was down from NY and the morning she headed back, she brought 3 Geno's and 3 Pats back up with her to the office. She then took a survey.

Reasults:

6 for Pat's
6 for Geno's

The argument rages on.
Geno's cheesefries are superior.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:55 PM

23 posts, read 35,976 times
for a noob, Pats and Genos is worthwhile walking through because it is right in the middle of walking up Passyunk from Broad, and walking up the Italian market to center city. May as well see P&G as well.
That is one of the main ped walks for someone who wants to see what the city is about.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:04 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
The only sorta-sketchy corner of South Broad is at Snyder Ave near all the fast food places. There's lots of homeless who camp out there (or at least there was when I lived in the area). However, it's still not bad and perfectly fine during the day. South Philly is an awesome gem.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:27 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
The only sorta-sketchy corner of South Broad is at Snyder Ave near all the fast food places. There's lots of homeless who camp out there (or at least there was when I lived in the area). However, it's still not bad and perfectly fine during the day. South Philly is an awesome gem.
Yeah, I actually find the walk up south broad to be pretty fascinating. The architecture along a lot of the blocks is underrated imo or at least under appreciated.
Some random pics of mine

Terrible photo, but I liked that there was a band playing some music on the steps at the high school of performing arts when I was walking up Broad last week.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:59 AM

333 posts, read 282,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I would also add the two-block stretch between Washington and Federal--something about that particular real estate encourages some real sketchiness as well. Again, it's not dangerous, but just something to pay extra attention to if you're walking through it.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:13 AM

1,465 posts, read 622,609 times
How many of those beautiful properties (no sarcasm) have been turned into apartments?

Old 06-09-2021, 08:22 AM

1,391 posts, read 913,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAwesome View Post
for a noob, Pats and Genos is worthwhile walking through because it is right in the middle of walking up Passyunk from Broad, and walking up the Italian market to center city. May as well see P&G as well.
That is one of the main ped walks for someone who wants to see what the city is about.
I agree with this. If you're walking up from South Philly during the day, I'd recommend taking a soft right onto East Passyunk, grab lunch at Pat's or Geno's (I prefer Pat's by a little out of the two), take the soft left onto 9th at Pat's, walk through the Italian Market and continue to South St, make a left on South and visit the Magic Gardens at 11th & South, and then continue back to Broad, make a right on Broad to head back towards Center City. If you're going to the Liberty Bell / Independence Hall / Constitution Center area, go to City Hall on Broad (City Hall is worth seeing on the tourist tour...), make a right on Market, and go down to 7th where all of the historical stuff is. That would be a pretty cool little tour of South Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia