Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2022, 03:19 PM

141 posts, read 90,812 times

Advertisements

Im talking about commercially dense strips with lots of non-chain retail stores, mixed in with some restaurants and bars. Nice but not too upscale, more of a funky vibe if anything. Extra point if it has a nice toy store, but thats not a requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 03:51 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
3rd street in Old City. Rittenhouse it’s spread throughout, but I think some blocks of Sansom are pretty cool and uniquely “Philly” with the narrow street. 9th street in the Italian Market is a classic stretch. East Passyunk Ave. is major one in South Philadelphia. Frankford Ave in Fishtown. Fairmount Ave in Fairmount. 2nd St in Northern Liberties. Main Street manayunk. Germantown Ave through Chestnut Hill and Mt. Airy. I don’t know West Philly all that well, but I feel like a nice toy store on Baltimore Ave near Clark Park wouldn’t be out of the norm. South Street is another classic Philly commercial street, I would say the west side is better. People are always trying to build up Girard Ave in Brewerytown.

Those are all more “urban” corridors where people are walking around. Idk where in Northeast or Southwest Philly I would pick exactly.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:11 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,628 times
You should check out Germantown Ave in Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy. "Not too upscale" is pretty subjective but the 2 miles or so stretch is packed with non chain stores. And frankly, the area needs it. NW is such an underappreciated area, and its commercial corridor needs more foot traffic.

Main Street in Manayunk is another option. Overall its less upscale than Chestnut Hill, but its a nice mix of affordable fun and some places that are more upscale. The big different is post 9 PM, Manayunk becomes a college hangout, while Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy dies down.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:50 AM

14,173 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
You should check out Germantown Ave in Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy. "Not too upscale" is pretty subjective but the 2 miles or so stretch is packed with non chain stores. And frankly, the area needs it. NW is such an underappreciated area, and its commercial corridor needs more foot traffic.

Main Street in Manayunk is another option. Overall its less upscale than Chestnut Hill, but its a nice mix of affordable fun and some places that are more upscale. The big different is post 9 PM, Manayunk becomes a college hangout, while Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy dies down.
As Germantown Avenue rises from the coastal plain in Nicetown (at Wayne Junction) to the highest point in the city of Philadelphia just past where Bethlehem Pike meets it in Chestnut Hill, the street also rises in socioeconomic status. Mount Airy sits above Germantown, and Chestnut Hill above both. But Chestnut Hill's merchant mix doesn't feel as precious as, say, Wayne's, Ardmore's or Haddonfield's — it's a little more urbane, though you will find some chi-chi merchants there (two of the best of them Black-owned).

"CHill" is definitely the shopping and dining center of upper Northwest Philadelphia (the part above the Wissahickon Creek – pre-consolidation Germantown Township (and Borough)), which contains three of the city's coolest neighborhoods, IMO. But Mt. Airy holds its own. We're still working on Germantown, but it does have the dopest coffee shop and bookstore in the city in it.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:46 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,196 times
Walnut and Chestnut in Rittenhouse --definitely can be expensive and not as local -- but I think worth checking out for a fun urban shopping experience, plus the stands they set up in Rittenhouse Sq on the weekends are fun to look at.

South Street for quirky/funky.

Baltimore Avenue in Cedar Park has some fun stuff to check out, but its a bit more restaurant/bar/cafe oriented there.

3rd St in Old City was a good suggestion, but if I remember correctly, the shops there are pricier.

Manayunk, my neighborhood, is pretty well balanced. On Main St, a lot of you want to avoid Thursday-Saturday nights, but there are still some restaurants open later that are fun. But for just daytime shopping, I think you'd like it. There is definitely a disproportionate number of fitness-related shops and gyms. It's just a bit out of the way compared to the above options.

Germantown Ave is great! I agree w/ Sandy that Bob's Books is a fantastic spot. But overall, it's not as filled out as the above places.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:12 PM

1,387 posts, read 913,271 times
I think 2nd St in NoLibs is a good suggestion. More geared towards the restaurants/bars, but there are shops there, too (and definitely not chain stores).

Old 08-24-2022, 05:08 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
You know, I misread the first post when I wrote my response. I read it as “Where would be a good spot to open a toy store?” Not where are there toy stores already. But a number of them I named do have toy stores already. I have bought my niece and nephew toys at Tildie’s on Passyunk before. South Fellini shop on Passyunk is probably one of the best spots to get unique Philly merch.

Old 08-30-2022, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 4,177 times
The area surrounding the city’s LGTBQ+ community from what I saw are beautiful and have a lot of nice restaurants (if I remember correctly, that would be the streets that have the rainbow flag under them), & the area called Olde City close to Penn’s Landing is nice for walking also.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:23 PM

14,173 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Walnut and Chestnut in Rittenhouse --definitely can be expensive and not as local -- but I think worth checking out for a fun urban shopping experience, plus the stands they set up in Rittenhouse Sq on the weekends are fun to look at.

South Street for quirky/funky.

Baltimore Avenue in Cedar Park has some fun stuff to check out, but its a bit more restaurant/bar/cafe oriented there.

3rd St in Old City was a good suggestion, but if I remember correctly, the shops there are pricier.

Manayunk, my neighborhood, is pretty well balanced. On Main St, a lot of you want to avoid Thursday-Saturday nights, but there are still some restaurants open later that are fun. But for just daytime shopping, I think you'd like it. There is definitely a disproportionate number of fitness-related shops and gyms. It's just a bit out of the way compared to the above options.

Germantown Ave is great! I agree w/ Sandy that Bob's Books is a fantastic spot. But overall, it's not as filled out as the above places.
In case the OP makes it up that way, so they don't get confused, the store's name is

Uncle Bobbie's Coffee and Books
5445 Germantown Avenue (at Church Lane, on Market Square, Germantown's historic town center)

Uncle Bobbie instilled a love of reading in owner Marc Lamont Hill.

Old 08-31-2022, 03:59 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
In case the OP makes it up that way, so they don't get confused, the store's name is

Uncle Bobbie's Coffee and Books
5445 Germantown Avenue (at Church Lane, on Market Square, Germantown's historic town center)

Uncle Bobbie instilled a love of reading in owner Marc Lamont Hill.
Lol. Whoops. I've shortened it to Bob's Books from time to time, but I guess that is kinda silly. I haven't been there in a minute... goals for this autumn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia