Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 05:32 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Domb.

That said, I will look into Jeff Brown. I've heard of him and am aware of his supermarket business.

Would consider Rhynhart in the future, post-Domb.
Domb would be my Choice B. As a Realtor and property owner/manager, I think he also gets development issues better than most on Council (though this is one of the things I respect about MQS; she tries to work her concern for affordable housing into the mix in a way that doesn't kill new housing production, which — the noises of the anti-gentrification types notwithstanding* — this city badly needs). And I'd consider Rhynhart too.

*If you've never heard me explain why I'm a "two cheers for gentrification" guy, I'd be happy to tell you the reasons why.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:50 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Domb.

That said, I will look into Jeff Brown. I've heard of him and am aware of his supermarket business.

Would consider Rhynhart in the future, post-Domb.
God help me. I agree with MPK on something.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:19 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
The more time goes by the more I'm inclined to support Rhynhart over Domb.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:08 AM

I saw someone make a good point about Jeff Brown. What has he done in the general public's eye in the last few years aside from selfishly fighting the soda tax? Which, in retrospect, did none of the things he said were going to happen

Old 11-15-2022, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I saw someone make a good point about Jeff Brown. What has he done in the general public's eye in the last few years aside from selfishly fighting the soda tax? Which, in retrospect, did none of the things he said were going to happen
One of the things that got him press notice, and one of the reasons I like him for mayor, is his practice of hiring released convicts to work in his supermarkets. "The same skill set you use to move rock can be used to move mac and cheese," I recall one such employee saying in the Philadelphia Inquirer article about his practice.

This was back when the Inky still ran reader comments, and to judge what readers posted in response to this article, you'd think that rapes and murders were being committed in his ShopRite stores every day.

This brought home to me something that I think many, maybe most, Americans clearly don't understand: Once you've done your time, you've paid your debt to society, and you're not supposed to be charged interest after you've paid. Also: if we want to cut down on recidivism, then the answer is to plug the released convicts into the legit economy as soon as possible. Jeff Brown got both points.

He also uses his stores to showcase and assist local businesses that make food products to sell (mainly). ( know this from repeated visits to the Fresh Grocer store he owns at Cedarbrook Plaza.) Given the location of several of his stores, many of these businesses are Black-owned. So I suspect he gets economic development and job creation intuitively. I'm not sure that's a knowledge base most City Council members possess.

I don't know a single grocer or soda distributor who didn't fight the tax. The way it was applied, however, did not achieve its real goal: it wasn't a means to fund pre-K primarily but rather a public-health measure intended to drive down consumption of sugary beverages and thus (proponents hoped) reduce the growing incidence of obesity among the populace. (Some opponents did manage to get it to apply to all sweetened beverages, whether or not they contained sugar.) I think one opponent did describe it as a nanny-state move. Do we know if sales of sweetened beverages did fall in the city? And, maybe equally important, did they rise at supermarkets located on or near the city line on the other side of it? I do believe I heard stories of people simply switching their shopping from a store inside the city to one outside it to beat the tax.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One of the things that got him press notice, and one of the reasons I like him for mayor, is his practice of hiring released convicts to work in his supermarkets. "The same skill set you use to move rock can be used to move mac and cheese," I recall one such employee saying in the Philadelphia Inquirer article about his practice.

This was back when the Inky still ran reader comments, and to judge what readers posted in response to this article, you'd think that rapes and murders were being committed in his ShopRite stores every day.

This brought home to me something that I think many, maybe most, Americans clearly don't understand: Once you've done your time, you've paid your debt to society, and you're not supposed to be charged interest after you've paid. Also: if we want to cut down on recidivism, then the answer is to plug the released convicts into the legit economy as soon as possible. Jeff Brown got both points.

He also uses his stores to showcase and assist local businesses that make food products to sell (mainly). ( know this from repeated visits to the Fresh Grocer store he owns at Cedarbrook Plaza.) Given the location of several of his stores, many of these businesses are Black-owned. So I suspect he gets economic development and job creation intuitively. I'm not sure that's a knowledge base most City Council members possess.

I don't know a single grocer or soda distributor who didn't fight the tax. The way it was applied, however, did not achieve its real goal: it wasn't a means to fund pre-K primarily but rather a public-health measure intended to drive down consumption of sugary beverages and thus (proponents hoped) reduce the growing incidence of obesity among the populace. (Some opponents did manage to get it to apply to all sweetened beverages, whether or not they contained sugar.) I think one opponent did describe it as a nanny-state move. Do we know if sales of sweetened beverages did fall in the city? And, maybe equally important, did they rise at supermarkets located on or near the city line on the other side of it? I do believe I heard stories of people simply switching their shopping from a store inside the city to one outside it to beat the tax.

Lol I like how much you go to bat for this guy. I have an open mind and appreciate your thoughts on the matter. According to a Penn study last year, sales dropped a little, but not much

Old 11-15-2022, 08:12 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Looks like Domb is officially running.
There is quite a lineup of solid candidates. Let's hope Philly voters have some good voting sense next year.

Real estate magnate and former Councilmember Allan Domb is running for Philly mayor

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/el...-20221115.html

Election question: If a Council person runs for Mayor and loses, are they allowed to run for Council again, or they're done?

Old 11-15-2022, 09:47 AM

471 posts, read 272,281 times
For me:

1. Domb
2. Rhynhart
3. Brown

I am worried that without ranked-choice voting, they will split the "moderate" vote and some corrupt, do-nothing, establishment fool like Parker or MQS will win. I've only lived in Philly a couple years so if I have the wrong impression of them, please educate me.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
For me:

1. Domb
2. Rhynhart
3. Brown

I am worried that without ranked-choice voting, they will split the "moderate" vote and some corrupt, do-nothing, establishment fool like Parker or MQS will win. I've only lived in Philly a couple years so if I have the wrong impression of them, please educate me.
Nah there’s a real possibility. It’s absolutely how Larry Krasner got elected the first time

Old 11-15-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Looks like Domb is officially running.
There is quite a lineup of solid candidates. Let's hope Philly voters have some good voting sense next year.

Real estate magnate and former Councilmember Allan Domb is running for Philly mayor

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/el...-20221115.html

Election question: If a Council person runs for Mayor and loses, are they allowed to run for Council again, or they're done?
The City Charter does not prevent a candidate who resigned their elected office in order to run for another one from running to get the old office back afterwards if they lose. However, they will need to wait until the next election to do so, which means they will now be going up against an incumbent, which is usually a position that candidate would not want to find themselves in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia