Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2023, 06:43 PM

6 posts, read 4,685 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My partner and I are thinking of moving to the metro Philly area sometime early next year, and are planning our househunting and neighborhood/town/village/etc. research accordingly. Would love suggestions on communities in and around Philly that we should look at.

Why are you moving?
My wife and I are 30-40 somethings (Asian American, Chinese immigrant) looking to buy a piece of land that we can grow a modest food forest on (condensed, regenerative agricultural food garden), enough to (hopefully) become self-sustaining on our own crops, and maybe have a small farming business on (if we're really successful). We also are thinking of one day building a natural home (using e.g. strawbale, or adobe/cob) on the property.

When are you moving?
Sometime early next year (2024)

Where are you coming from?
DC (Columbia Heights in NW DC). I was born and came up in Chicago and its suburbs (e.g. Naperville). My wife has lived all over, including China, Hungary, Boston, DC, London, Seoul, and other places.

Where will you be working?
We will both be remote-working. Due to work travel, ready access to PHL (or another major int'l airport) is important. We'd also like to travel to NYC periodically. (Both of these reasons are why we're focusing on Philly, rather than further west in PA.)

Have you been here yet?
Have visited Philly a couple times, including spending a weekend in the city in 2018 and stayed in Passyunk Square area. Spent a lot of time in Chinatown and nearby.

Will you buy or rent?
Buy

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
House. Ideally max $500k-600k.

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
No children, and not currently in the plans for us, so schools etc. aren't a consideration.

Do you have pets?
Not currently, but we're planning to have dogs and maybe other small animals (rabbits, etc.) on our property.

Do you want or need a yard?
Yes, for the food forest. We need at least half an acre, but not at all opposed to bigger.

Are you keeping a car?
Yes, will have a vehicle with AWD (so unpaved roads aren't a dealbreaker, if that's relevant).

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
We like a quiet neighborhood, but it would be a nice to be able to occasionally go to activities not too far — museums, galleries, theater, indie music events, good food (we're foodies), etc. Also would like easy access to outdoor hiking, kayaking/canoeing, etc. I'm big on camping/backpacking and one downside it seems to the Philly area is that Susquehanna, Allegheny, and the Laurel Highlands are a bit far (3+ hrs).

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Diversity is important to us. We consider ourselves pretty non-mainstream, and a food forest is not the kind of thing you see everywhere, ditto building your own house that's not traditional building materials. So we don't want the kind of area where if your house and land don't conform to a mainstream type (neatly mowed lawn etc.), you're an outcast.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Jay

Last edited by greencountryhomestead; 01-03-2023 at 07:37 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 05:36 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
We will both be remote-working. Due to work travel, ready access to PHL (or another major int'l airport) is important. We'd also like to travel to NYC periodically. (Both of these reasons are why we're focusing on Philly, rather than further west in PA.)

This probably the most important location stipulation. I was going to say Northern Bucks County, but it takes way too long to drive to PHL from that direction. So in that case, Chester County is the move, but land is going to cost you the premium

Old 01-04-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
This probably the most important location stipulation. I was going to say Northern Bucks County, but it takes way too long to drive to PHL from that direction. So in that case, Chester County is the move, but land is going to cost you the premium
I see that PHL is about an hour drive from Kintnersville in northern Bucks... that's within range I think! It would be great if there were some public transit into Philly but am I right that the furthest into Bucks County we could get is a train from Philly to Doylestown...?

Old 01-04-2023, 08:52 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencountryhomestead View Post
I see that PHL is about an hour drive from Kintnersville in northern Bucks... that's within range I think! It would be great if there were some public transit into Philly but am I right that the furthest into Bucks County we could get is a train from Philly to Doylestown...?

Yes correct, Doylestown, Warminster, or West Trenton. Sometimes, it's faster to just park at the Warminster because that line makes less stops. But yeah. if Kintersville is in your range, than I would suggest northern bucks. Going towards the river like in Tinicum Township, Bucks County is probably the ideal landing spot for the culture you are looking for.

Jose Garces, a very prominent Philadelphia chef, has his farm for his restaurants up there:
GARCES - Luna Farm

Old 01-05-2023, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Yes correct, Doylestown, Warminster, or West Trenton. Sometimes, it's faster to just park at the Warminster because that line makes less stops. But yeah. if Kintersville is in your range, than I would suggest northern bucks. Going towards the river like in Tinicum Township, Bucks County is probably the ideal landing spot for the culture you are looking for.

Jose Garces, a very prominent Philadelphia chef, has his farm for his restaurants up there:
GARCES - Luna Farm
Thank you so much!
Follow up Q: what about Lancaster County, within like 15 min drive of an amtrak station? One hour amtrak from Lancaster (city) to Philly is also within range for us I think. (Or far west Chester County, like near Parkesburg?)

Old 01-05-2023, 07:37 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Thank you so much!
Follow up Q: what about Lancaster County, within like 15 min drive of an amtrak station? One hour amtrak from Lancaster (city) to Philly is also within range for us I think. (Or far west Chester County, like near Parkesburg?)
I think an area like Kennett Square/Chadds Ford, in Southern Chester County, is definitely worth looking into.

It's a very agricultural/conservation-minded and "farm-to-table" type of area, so it really does sounds like a great fit for the kind of community you're seeking.

You'd also be about 40 minutes (west) from PHL, or (south) from a place like Exton, where you can catch Amtrak to NYC or other Northeast Corridor points.

Your budget also seems very realistic for this area, as well.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Duderino; 01-05-2023 at 07:51 AM..

Old 01-05-2023, 04:50 PM

401 posts, read 426,083 times
Kennett Square is the mushroom capital and all the smells that go with it. Just make sure you check how far the mushroom farms from where you are interested in, wind direct is critical, mostly from the west. Go to google maps and type in mushroom farm to see the locations.

Old 01-07-2023, 11:53 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Why would such a lifestyle be in metro Philly, when the State of PA has plenty of good open forest for you to be that?

Old 01-07-2023, 01:49 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
OP, besides some of the good suggestions already mentioned here, I think you'd like the Phoenixville area. It has a really nice downtown and a bit of an eclectic vibe. Also re: your concerns about outdoor recreation, while I certainly agree we lag behind some areas of the country, there are some good options. I personally like to go up to the Jim Thorpe area for hiking and mountain scenery. It only takes me 1-1.5 hours driving from Philly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why would such a lifestyle be in metro Philly, when the State of PA has plenty of good open forest for you to be that?
See the below:
Quote:
Where will you be working?

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
We like a quiet neighborhood, but it would be a nice to be able to occasionally go to activities not too far — museums, galleries, theater, indie music events, good food (we're foodies), etc.

Old 01-07-2023, 03:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post

See the below:
Yes, but what I mean is that just outside of metro Philly is still a doable commute especially if not making it everyday like you are working in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia