Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 08:12 AM

1,401 posts, read 919,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
The 95SB detour is rerouted, after utility pole comes down on car. Accident is at State Rd and Princeton Ave.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...crash/3586971/
From Tim Jimenez NBC10:
I'm glad I tried that way yesterday and not today. LOL. Although, I always watch the traffic report on Good Day Philadelphia and listen to KYW Traffic on the Twos before I leave. Since it happened at 5:30, at least I would have had warning to re-route.

Yesterday, I took the 95->Betsy->130 N->BB route home again. This is fine. Google wanted to route me to the Benny instead of the Betsy, and when I turned onto 95, it immediately added 10 mins to my trip time, but the backup at the closure point and Aramingo/Betsy exit wasn't too bad. It was only about 10 mins total, and once again, the Aramingo lane was stopped, but the Betsy lane was moving fine. By the time I got to 130, my Google arrival time was actually a minute earlier than the original trip via the Benny, so I think Google Maps/Waze is struggling to properly assess the delay at the closure. Pro tip - stay in the left lane on 95 until you hit the backup. The left lane was clear for a half mile past where every other lane was backed up because are morons and don't understand how lane merges are supposed to work. The whole commute from Old City to Newtown was under an hour. I'm convinced this is the way to go until 95 is open again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 09:33 AM

968 posts, read 1,143,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
I took the TP connector and NJTP south to Exit 4 then took NJ 38 to the Admiral Wilson Blvd to the Benny. It was only 15 mins or so longer than normal, although I have to look up on EZ Pass how much I spent on that because it might be cost prohibitive to use the TP and $5 bridge charge that regularly. I'm going to try taking the train from Cornwall Heights tomorrow for comparison and see how that goes.
3am it's not bad. Got off at Cottman, made a right then left onto State and got right back on. All the traffic lights are flashing yellow. Wouldn't do it in the daytime though.

Came home Friday from Delaware on 295 through NJ in the afternoon, came back over the Burlington-Bristol. Traffic was moving very slow but I attribute that more to the pouring rain than anything else.

Old 06-18-2023, 12:32 PM

2,045 posts, read 788,820 times
I heard it's going to be ready for use in two weeks. That's got to be a record.

Old 06-18-2023, 05:52 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
I heard it's going to be ready for use in two weeks. That's got to be a record.
Not a total rebuild, but a temporary span that will allow traffic to flow on the highway while the permanent replacement is built.

Old 06-18-2023, 05:57 PM

2,045 posts, read 788,820 times
Yeah.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:24 PM

15,423 posts, read 9,102,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Not a total rebuild, but a temporary span that will allow traffic to flow on the highway while the permanent replacement is built.
I'm looking at the plans. It sounds like a good plan, but I'm having a hard time understanding how this is going to work. They are going to build temporary lanes in the space of the old bridge. Then build new permanent lanes on each side. But I can't see where the space will come from for all that. There are buildings close by on each side. What are they going to do, demolition all those buildings to make space for the permanent lanes?

Old 06-19-2023, 08:34 AM

1,401 posts, read 919,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
3am it's not bad. Got off at Cottman, made a right then left onto State and got right back on. All the traffic lights are flashing yellow. Wouldn't do it in the daytime though.

Came home Friday from Delaware on 295 through NJ in the afternoon, came back over the Burlington-Bristol. Traffic was moving very slow but I attribute that more to the pouring rain than anything else.
I did it one day last week. I got to the closure a little before 7, so the backup wasn't too bad yet, but yeah, the actual detour southbound was fine. Access from the neighborhoods to State Rd was blocked and the lights were flashing, so it was just a half mile at 20-25mph and then hop back on 95. Then further south, the normal backup between Girard and Vine was moving fine. I don't know how far back the delay at the closure point is closer to the peak of rush hour, though. If it gets back past Academy, that would be a long wait.

Old 06-19-2023, 02:10 PM

968 posts, read 1,143,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
I did it one day last week. I got to the closure a little before 7, so the backup wasn't too bad yet, but yeah, the actual detour southbound was fine. Access from the neighborhoods to State Rd was blocked and the lights were flashing, so it was just a half mile at 20-25mph and then hop back on 95. Then further south, the normal backup between Girard and Vine was moving fine. I don't know how far back the delay at the closure point is closer to the peak of rush hour, though. If it gets back past Academy, that would be a long wait.
Yeah. Glad I start work that early. Did the same thing this morning going to Darby, but came home through NJ during the 9:00 am hour. Went over the Walt Whitman and then 76 was backed up to get to 295 with that whole mess with Rt 42, so went all the way to the left onto 676, then took that up to Rt 30 to 38 to 73 to get 295, up to Burlington-Mt. Holly. Wasn't bad once I was on 295, neither was 676 but 73 backs up getting to 295.

Old 06-19-2023, 09:35 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm looking at the plans. It sounds like a good plan, but I'm having a hard time understanding how this is going to work. They are going to build temporary lanes in the space of the old bridge. Then build new permanent lanes on each side. But I can't see where the space will come from for all that. There are buildings close by on each side. What are they going to do, demolition all those buildings to make space for the permanent lanes?
The bridge that collapsed had eight lanes — four in each direction.

The temporary span will occupy the space taken up by the four innermost lanes (two in each direction) and the outer lanes will be repaired around them.

Then, when the outer lanes of the replacement are complete, traffic will shift to those spans to allow the rebuilding of the inner lanes.

There will still be bottlenecks at peak hours (assuming peak-hour traffic returns to something like normal). But at least there won't be lines of cars snaking through Northeast Philadelphia.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:36 AM

15,423 posts, read 9,102,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The bridge that collapsed had eight lanes — four in each direction.

The temporary span will occupy the space taken up by the four innermost lanes (two in each direction) and the outer lanes will be repaired around them.

Then, when the outer lanes of the replacement are complete, traffic will shift to those spans to allow the rebuilding of the inner lanes.

There will still be bottlenecks at peak hours (assuming peak-hour traffic returns to something like normal). But at least there won't be lines of cars snaking through Northeast Philadelphia.
Thanks, but they are promising three lanes in each direction, not two.

I'm sure you are right though. They must have it figured out. Maybe there is more space there then it appears. I guess we will have to wait until they get the temporary lanes constructed to see how it will work.

Quote:
There will be three lanes open in each direction while the state then works to build a permanent bridge to replace the section that collapsed.
When will I-95 reopen_ Officials unveil plan to repair highway, but decline questions on timeline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia