Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 05:39 AM

1,397 posts, read 918,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Thanks, but they are promising three lanes in each direction, not two.

I'm sure you are right though. They must have it figured out. Maybe there is more space there then it appears. I guess we will have to wait until they get the temporary lanes constructed to see how it will work.

When will I-95 reopen_ Officials unveil plan to repair highway, but decline questions on timeline
Yeah, this part of the highway has 4 lanes plus shoulders in each direction. They can use half that and squeeze three lanes with no shoulders through the temporary road. It'll be similar to the northbound construction zone between Bridge and Cottman (that is currently closed).

They have changed the lanes a little through the southbound detour. There are now 2 lanes on the exit at Cottman, but they merge down to one at the left turn onto State Rd to allow a lane of local traffic to merge in there as well. Regardless, the total delay at the closure and detour was 10 mins tops at about 6:45 today and still no backup between Girard and Vine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 07:26 AM

14,191 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Thanks, but they are promising three lanes in each direction, not two.

I'm sure you are right though. They must have it figured out. Maybe there is more space there then it appears. I guess we will have to wait until they get the temporary lanes constructed to see how it will work.

When will I-95 reopen_ Officials unveil plan to repair highway, but decline questions on timeline
I think the reason they can fit three lanes each way into the temporary span is because the highway has shoulders on both sides of the travel lanes. In effect, that means that there are 12 lanes total on the span (eight travel lanes and four shoulders).

Get rid of the shoulders temporarily and that leaves a six-lane space (three lanes in each direction) on the outside of the temporary span to rebuild.

Then you shift the three travel lanes to the new permanent span and rebuild the span in the middle.

When finished, you then restore the four-travel-lane/two-shoulders configuration in each direction.

Old 06-21-2023, 05:14 AM

2,045 posts, read 787,534 times
For Pete's sake ...

Old 06-21-2023, 05:57 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
I’m just glad I don’t have to take that route every day.

I’m skeptical of the safety of a new roadway they can put up in two weeks and be able to handle all that traffic again. But I suppose if we can put a man on the moon, see through walls, and spot a license plate from a space satellite… We can put up a major interstate bridge in two weeks and have it be safe. Right?

Like I said, I’m just glad I won’t have to take that road.

Old 06-21-2023, 06:54 AM

1,397 posts, read 918,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I’m just glad I don’t have to take that route every day.

I’m skeptical of the safety of a new roadway they can put up in two weeks and be able to handle all that traffic again. But I suppose if we can put a man on the moon, see through walls, and spot a license plate from a space satellite… We can put up a major interstate bridge in two weeks and have it be safe. Right?

Like I said, I’m just glad I won’t have to take that road.
They're not building a bridge in two weeks. They are filling in the underpass on half the highway so that they can start reconstructing the actual bridge on the other half. The way it is being constructed appears to be fairly stable. We'll see, I guess.

Old 06-21-2023, 11:20 AM

184 posts, read 370,639 times
a little science on how it's being done...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ249N1aW_8

Old 06-23-2023, 01:43 PM

968 posts, read 1,143,366 times
Very interesting video. I saw it reopened at noon today. I'll be heading to Germantown later tonight which I usually take the Turnpike to Ft. Washington Expwy though sometimes Waze likes to send me down to the Vine back up to the Schuylkill. I wonder if anyone here has driven it yet today.

Old 06-24-2023, 10:28 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,425,852 times
Have you all seen this?
(Turn the speakers up)

Nice when something goes right.
https://www.facebook.com/phansofphil...32669247393588

Old 06-24-2023, 03:08 PM

968 posts, read 1,143,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Have you all seen this?
(Turn the speakers up)

Nice when something goes right.
https://www.facebook.com/phansofphil...32669247393588
Yes. Now please don't be lax when completing the permanent part!

Ended up going this way to Germantown. Got off at the Betsy Ross Bridge exit and went through lovely North Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia