Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 08:36 AM

2,045 posts, read 789,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It's a really odd looking area. Who thought these would be an attractive addition to QV?

Crazy.
They deserve as much as anybody else the opportunity to live there amongst the 'normals.' At least that's what I've been hearing from the bleeding hearts for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 09:31 AM

1,699 posts, read 975,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
This. Philly still "pulls itself up by itself up by its bootstraps" like few other cities.

No DC lobbyists, Wall Street ponzi schemes, and Big Tech with "smoke and mirrors" valuations propping it up, it manages to do extremely well considering.
And the "Biotech Capital of the World" reputation is well underway.

Philly gets such a bad rap. Clearly the OP has no desire to live in an Urban center. So he'd be equally unexcited to live in NYC, San Fran, Paris, London, Berlin or Rome.

Philly has most everything all those cities have, increased levels of crime included.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:41 AM

I'd like to know why people get upset about where others prefer to reside and anout their opinions on said places. I care about Philly as much as anybody (even though there's a lot wrong with it), but I can see why some don't want to live or visit here. It's pretty nasty. Obviously it's got it's nice/fun areas ...

Old 09-13-2023, 12:15 PM

14,209 posts, read 9,110,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
They deserve as much as anybody else the opportunity to live there amongst the 'normals.' At least that's what I've been hearing from the bleeding hearts for decades.
IDK exactly what they replaced the two demolished Southwark towers with, but things seem to be working out okay in Hawthorne and Germantown.

Old 09-13-2023, 12:54 PM

7,273 posts, read 10,614,017 times
Quote:
I'd like to know why people get upset about where others prefer to reside and anout their opinions on said places. I care about Philly as much as anybody (even though there's a lot wrong with it), but I can see why some don't want to live or visit here. It's pretty nasty. Obviously it's got it's nice/fun areas ...
Probably because when it pertains to Philadelphia, there's a far-too-large subset of individuals who feel compelled to be overtly obnoxious and form their opinion based on the worst of the worst. Ironically, they act like what they claim Philadelphians are.

In other words, it's not just about sharing an opinion. It's how you share an opinion that makes all of the difference (and not saying that necessarily applied to the prior poster, but generally-speaking this is true).

Also, I've yet to live in/visit a place where "nastiness" doesn't exist. It's just manifested in different forms in different places.

Last edited by Duderino; 09-13-2023 at 01:44 PM..

Old 09-13-2023, 01:33 PM

1,398 posts, read 921,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
IDK exactly what they replaced the two demolished Southwark towers with, but things seem to be working out okay in Hawthorne and Germantown.
They are mostly nondescript looking rowhomes, like the attached.
Attached Thumbnails
What are the most significant changes to Philly over the past 30 years?-2023-09-13_15-26-37.jpg  

Old 09-13-2023, 01:48 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,126,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
They are mostly nondescript looking rowhomes, like the attached.
Replaced the Richard Allen Homes. That area needs serious rework done too. It makes no sense why there are still low-income housing (Spring Garden Projects and Richard Allen Projects) in what could be a nice section of the city.

Old 09-13-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Probably because when it pertains to Philadelphia, there's a far-too-large subset of individuals who feel compelled to be overtly obnoxious and form their opinion based on the worst of the worst. Ironically, they act like what they claim Philadelphians are.

In other words, it's not just about sharing an opinion. It's how you share an opinion that makes all of the difference (and not saying that necessarily applied to the prior poster, but generally-speaking this is true).

Also, I've yet to live in/visit a place where "nastiness" doesn't exist. It's just manifested in different forms in different places.
I'm guessing you never lived in Philly ... So why do you get so defensive?

It's probably political. Some people bash the Democrat-controlled cities (I mean, it's so easy and it IS embarrassing that we elected Kenney and Krasner twice), while others defend cities like Philadelphia simply BECAUSE they're Democrat-controlled.
Then you have the people here who talk the city up because they have rental properties.

I just drove through a suburb in South Jersey, there was nothing nasty about it. The a-holes aren't in your face like in Philadelphia.

Last edited by Hermit12; 09-13-2023 at 03:40 PM..

Old 09-14-2023, 04:53 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,147,558 times
Every time I mention changes to the city vs a suburban comparison people dismiss my comment with a nonsensical (IMO) argument about population density and poverty -- as if those two things mean people have to carjack, and kill, steal, rob and murder.

A new phrase to me (I'm late to many things because I don't watch much news at all) is "The Victim Olympics." And waaaay too many people are in that game and supporting it. It might even be called a racket.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:23 AM

14,209 posts, read 9,110,127 times
Quote:
I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine who grew up here about our respective hometowns.

He agreed with me about Kansas Citians' deep and abiding love for their hometown even though they will never live in it again. (He also said that residents of only one other city he knew of displayed the same passion for the hometown they left: New Orleans.)

Of Philadelphia, he said this: "The people who love it stay there. The people who hate it leave."

And it's not like Kansas City is uniformly pleasant, peaceful and beautiful (though I think the visitor will be surprised at how nice some of the worse-off parts of the city look). The side I grew up on — segregation in most of the large cities of the Midwest is more intense and starker than it is in the cities of the Northeast — has serious problems with crime; I think that for a while, KC had a significantly higher murder rate than Philadelphia did. And some locals worry about it much the way their Philadelphia counterparts do. But on the whole, they still consider their city a great place to live. I can't always say the same for their Philadelphia counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Replaced the Richard Allen Homes. That area needs serious rework done too. It makes no sense why there are still low-income housing (Spring Garden Projects and Richard Allen Projects) in what could be a nice section of the city.
This large apartment building abuts the Richard Allen Homes project, which did get a makeover of sorts about 20 years ago and now looks less like a housing project and more like a suburban subdivision in Northeast Philadelphia.

Abutting it on the east is this Post Brothers apartment building called The Poplar.

It probably would have been better had the PHA gone the mixed-income route it (or the developer who redid the MLK Plaza) took in Hawthorne, but I'd say these two developments show that Richard Allen is no longer a place to avoid.

If you read the first article, you will note that Broadridge's developer met often with Richard Allen New Generation, the community organization representing project residents, to get their input on what they thought should be done with the property they had bought. They were the ones who argued for the supermarket around which it was built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia