Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 08:57 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

(I know it's long just laying the ground work for some great conversation -- I hope)

-- Any stories about moving to a another neighborhood in the city? even if temporary, that counts)
-- Life long residents have you moved from your childhood area?
-- Do you often visit other neighborhoods outside of your own?

It's said that Philly is a city of neighborhoods (as if other cities are not)....

As a Philadelphian born and raised, I've always been fascinated that many residents never move out of their neighborhood -- or far from it. Is that MORE prominent here than in other cities? I don't know. People could be like that in Baltimore, LA, Milwaukee, San Antonio, Atlanta, Houston, Salt Lake City, Seattle, Phoenix, who knows?)

I suppose Philly's length, odd shape and size may have something to do with it.

Maybe it's just me...but I rarely even visit other neighborhoods. But I suppose that may not be unususal. Many people would only go elsewhere -- especially depending on distance -- unless they had a reason to go....unless something propelled them to go. If you live int he NE it's easier to just go to Bucks County than come downtown. If you live in Wynnefield, it's easier to got to Mont Co. In SW it's easier to go to DelCo.

Unless there's so store or restaurant they just HAVE to go to, or some friend to see -- what would cause a person in Somerset to visit South Philly? Why would a person in West Philly go to Roxborough? In 60+ years of living I can count on less than two hands the number of times I've been to the far northeast. And most of those times it was because one of my banks had their closest branch to me by the NE airport. I don't think I've ever shopped on Roosevelt Blvd. Just like I'm sure someone from Cedarbrook or Morrell Park or Rhawnhurst may not have ever been to S. Delaware Avenue (Columbus Blvd to shop) or even eat out. Why would they?

I commuted to Girls' High for HS. Before that I didn't even know where Broad and Only was.

For example:
..... as a young child in the 60s I lived at 20th and Christian (not long before its rebranding as "Graduate Host. area and then SW Center City). Then in the late 60s, my family moved to the new Korman homes in Penrose Park/Eastwick. Then I got a deal on a sheriff sale house and was part of the early regentrification of the area near 19th and Washington Ave. Moved to MD/DC for work for 20+ years and came back to the family home.

I have a really good friend from college who lives in the far NW -- like Stenton and Creshem Valley Rd. I never go see her and she never comes my way. I'm as close to the SW city limit as you can get, and she's as close to one of the NW city limits as you can get. And it just has always been "too far" for frequent visits. My brother lives a little farther near Cheltenhem and Wadsworth. Same thing. It's far. (to me anyway -- and I love to drive.) It's just that from far SW to far NW it's either the Schuylkill and Lincoln Drive -- or some other convoluted way to get there. It's easier to go farther and take 95 to get to the NE.

I'll never forget when I got excited about joining my friend's weekly bowling group. I didn't really ask where they bowled. I figured it wasn't that far from her. I finally got the address...its was in doggone Norristown! Which I suppose isn't that far from NW East Mt Airy. But I live by the Philly airport. I'm not driving to Norristown every week to bowl.

Does that make me insular?

Heck I was out of college for years before I even knew the little bit I do know about Mt. Airy vs, Oak Lane -- even now. Let alone Bustleton, Wissinoming or Torresdale. Rising Sun always confused me. East Falls where the heck is that? Only 1/2 kidding.

Anyway those are my stores about about living in and going to other neighborhoods.
What are your stories?? Hopefully -- mostly good ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 11:23 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Are you anti-travel, in general, or just locally? Personally, I like to explore the cool things/ places about all areas. I've NEVER been a "well, I have a restaurant right next to my house, so I'm never leaving my street" sort of person.

Even if my all-time favorite place was right next door, I'd still be exploring other areas.

Old 09-19-2023, 05:53 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
I now live in the Charlotte area; originally, I was a New Yorker who spent a lot of time in Philly in the 1990's.

While I have nothing to contribute to this thread, I find this topic matter fascinating...thanks for taking the time to post.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Personally, I like to explore the cool things/ places about all areas. I've NEVER been a "well, I have a restaurant right next to my house, so I'm never leaving my street" sort of person.

Even if my all-time favorite place was right next door, I'd still be exploring other areas.
Are you originally from Philly?
If so where did you grow up? Where do you live now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Are you anti-travel, in general, or just locally? ......
Do I travel a lot now? No. But I've done my fair share. Am I someone with millions of air miles traveled? No
But having lived in Europe twice, been to Europe four times, lived out of state, and traveled to 8 countries, and 15 states (not that any of this is a lot)...no I'm not anti-travel.

Just because I see no reason to drive from one far end of the city to another unless there's a VERY compelling reason, doesn't mean I'm anti-travel. I'm sure most people in the NE never come down to South Philly. Heck I know people in Mt. Airy who never go downtown. That doesn't make them anti-travel.

BTW, from Pew Research: (2022)
-- one-third of Americans never move from the town they grew up in
-- more than half of Americans never leave the state they are born in
-- a little over half of the people have lived in the same state their whole lives (NOT counting military service or college out of state).

I'm sure there are plenty of people in both camps.
Those who've not moved far from their original neighborhood....and those who have....like the person from the NE who moved to Manayunk....or the person from West Phila who may have moved to Oak Lane.....

...as an old TV show used to say, "There are a million stories in the naked city."

Last edited by selhars; 09-19-2023 at 08:27 PM..

Old 09-21-2023, 06:12 AM

86 posts, read 60,836 times
Purchased our first home in Manayunk and spent four years there. It’s a fun, cute area but we started to feel isolated. We started exploring neighborhoods in Philadelphia and fell in love with Fairmount. After selling our house, we ended up purchasing a condo in Francisville and spend a far amount of time visiting other neighborhoods. I would say at least every other week we are outside Francisville/Fairmount.

I travel as a nurse fairly regularly, but changing locations in Philadelphia has made a huge impact on exploring new areas and taking advantage of regional opportunities. We go up to NYC and down to DC frequently from the 30th street station which we never did living in Manayunk.

Thank you for setting this up! After writing, I think we’ll plan on taking the 61 to visit Manayunk this weekend to catch the last of summer/beginning of fall

Old 09-22-2023, 12:43 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
I've moved back and forth between West Philly and Center City over the years (with an extended break elsewhere). Currently Center City offers most of what I like and need but I do go back to "Greater University City" once every couple months. I also enjoyed visiting Chestnut Hill recent and go down to the Italian Market every once in a while.

Old 10-14-2023, 03:42 PM

2,045 posts, read 784,711 times
I'm out of the neighborhood a lot - I was in Fishtown today to play my NFL parlay at Rivers, then the Target, PJP and Home Depot in Port Richmond. After that it was the post office and Rite Aid in Bridesburg.
Then later on it was the South Philly ACME at Snyder, John's Roast Pork for a cheesesteak and after that it was on to the Walmart and Home Depot on Columbus. The wife and I had a good long conversation with a South Philly regular from Tree Street in the Home Depot. He said things aren't all that rosy in his area and he wants to be out of the city in five years.

I'm thinking of going to Mayfair (Frankford and Longshore) tonight for a seafood platter for supper. Tomorrow morning I'll go to the Wissinoming Shop Rite to do the weekly food shopping.

I go all over NE Philly - my doctor is in Nazareth, my oil gets changed in Holmesburg, car gets inspected in Tacony, Al's Deli in Holmesburg, Datillo's Italian Deli in Rhawnhurst, Reiker's German in Fox Chase, the Amish market at Cottman and Large, the occasional breakfast at Liberty Bell diner in Upper Holmesburg, haircut in Mayfair. NetCost (Eastern European supermarket) in the very Far NE is a good spot.

I get my bagels (Talia's) and rye bread (Kapler's) in Northern Liberties.

We used to spend a lot of time in Center City, but since pandemic, it's usually just the Reading Terminal Market, Chinatown or a fancy steakhouse now. The last two times I went drinking downtown, it was O'Neal's on 3rd and Cavanaugh's Headhouse.
When I was single I did a lot of drinking and partaking in vice in Center City. Also, when I was single, I'd be all over the city getting with women ... West Philly, Fairmount, Hunting Park, etc ... Dated a good looking older Polish/Italian women from Manayunk for about a year. An ex's family lived at 67th and Buist, so I got familiar with that area. I did pretty good for a guy who wasn't a 'ladies man.'

Partook in a lot of the vice Kensington, Juniata and Frankford had to offer back in the day. I won't go in those neighborhoods now unless absolutely necessary. Used to go to the original Santucci's in Juniata regularly.

In the '80s my dad's side business would take us to every corner of the city, including the worst ghettoes in North Philly. It was an eye-opener ... I look back now ... he was friggin' nuts going into some of those neighborhoods. I'm surprised he never got robbed. Only time I remember trouble is when a bunch of Puerto Ricans at 4th and Cambria came after us.

OP - It's a big city out there, go explore.

Joe

Last edited by Hermit12; 10-14-2023 at 04:43 PM..

Old 10-15-2023, 11:20 AM

^ Boy!
If all that's true (and I have no reason to doubt you,) that's amazing.

My parents were very involved in church work. So I've been to several neighborhoods, but it might have just been to go pick them up or drop them off.

I lived in So Phila and SW....
As a young child it was 21st and Christian (pre-gentrification an SWCC real estate marketing), we'd shop at 9th Street, and Point Breeze, Passyunk, Snyder, and So. Broad Street. Maybe South Street. I went to grade and middle school in So. Phila. Then high school was Girls High. Being from So. and SW Philly, I didn't even know where that was. Never rode the subway until HS.

Only learned what I know about the NE, Mt Airy, Germantown as a young adult. And that wasn't really much. Met a friend in college from Mt. Airy. It took me YEEARS to get West and East Mt Airy....vs W. and E Oak Lane straight. Learned about Chestnut Hill from that friend. Being from far SW...no real reason to know much about Chestnut Hill? I worked in Manyunk for a while. So learned a little about that area then.

Still don't know much about Andorra, Roxborough, Fox Chase, Olney, The Oak Lanes, what I call "deep North Phila." Never heard of Shawmont Valley....until I just decided to take a detour and drive there on the way home from Mt. Airy...."hmmm I wonder what IS over there on the other side of the park and the Drive? Mansions, and single family homes with stone walls, that's what! Who knew!? I have now doubt that quiet neighborhoods that don't make the news LOVE it that way. And I can certainly relate. Anyway....

I know a little about a lot of areas....mostly know about where things are and the major streets generally. Still know nothing really about Rising Sun, Hunting Park, and some parts of the NE.... and Shawmont Valley as I mentioned.

Heck I didn't REALLY know where East Falls was until I was in my 50s! I mean I knew about where it was -- somewhere tucked up by the river south of Manyunk But the boundaries and what's there. Not a clue. Other than a great massage/yoga studio I've been to. It wasn't really "known for anything." (like say the NE has Russian/European stores, or Port Richmond/Fishtown/Bridesburg were industrial). I don't think I'd heard of it (decades ago obviously) until I heard (now former) Mayor Ed Rendell lived there and Princess Graces family (The Kellys) was/were from there.

I live in the city. But 99% of my activity is suburban.
I say that the only thing about me that's Phila now, is my address.

I did just go to a place in CC for Restaurant Week last month!

While it was a great weather day, and good place, and two friends and I walked the area afterward, I confess my head was on swivel the entire time. And I thank G-d there was no trouble. Glad it worked out. But it still hasn't changed my mind about not really wanted to go out or do much at all in Phila.

I do wish the city well. I have to. I live here.

Last edited by selhars; 10-15-2023 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-16-2023, 07:56 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
I'm out of the neighborhood a lot - I was in Fishtown today to play my NFL parlay at Rivers, then the Target, PJP and Home Depot in Port Richmond. After that it was the post office and Rite Aid in Bridesburg.
Then later on it was the South Philly ACME at Snyder, John's Roast Pork for a cheesesteak and after that it was on to the Walmart and Home Depot on Columbus. The wife and I had a good long conversation with a South Philly regular from Tree Street in the Home Depot. He said things aren't all that rosy in his area and he wants to be out of the city in five years.

I'm thinking of going to Mayfair (Frankford and Longshore) tonight for a seafood platter for supper. Tomorrow morning I'll go to the Wissinoming Shop Rite to do the weekly food shopping.

I go all over NE Philly - my doctor is in Nazareth, my oil gets changed in Holmesburg, car gets inspected in Tacony, Al's Deli in Holmesburg, Datillo's Italian Deli in Rhawnhurst, Reiker's German in Fox Chase, the Amish market at Cottman and Large, the occasional breakfast at Liberty Bell diner in Upper Holmesburg, haircut in Mayfair. NetCost (Eastern European supermarket) in the very Far NE is a good spot.

I get my bagels (Talia's) and rye bread (Kapler's) in Northern Liberties.

We used to spend a lot of time in Center City, but since pandemic, it's usually just the Reading Terminal Market, Chinatown or a fancy steakhouse now. The last two times I went drinking downtown, it was O'Neal's on 3rd and Cavanaugh's Headhouse.
When I was single I did a lot of drinking and partaking in vice in Center City. Also, when I was single, I'd be all over the city getting with women ... West Philly, Fairmount, Hunting Park, etc ... Dated a good looking older Polish/Italian women from Manayunk for about a year. An ex's family lived at 67th and Buist, so I got familiar with that area. I did pretty good for a guy who wasn't a 'ladies man.'

Partook in a lot of the vice Kensington, Juniata and Frankford had to offer back in the day. I won't go in those neighborhoods now unless absolutely necessary. Used to go to the original Santucci's in Juniata regularly.

In the '80s my dad's side business would take us to every corner of the city, including the worst ghettoes in North Philly. It was an eye-opener ... I look back now ... he was friggin' nuts going into some of those neighborhoods. I'm surprised he never got robbed. Only time I remember trouble is when a bunch of Puerto Ricans at 4th and Cambria came after us.

OP - It's a big city out there, go explore.

Joe
A lot to unpack there. lol.

Old 10-16-2023, 08:34 AM

2,045 posts, read 784,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
A lot to unpack there. lol.
Lol ... Yeah, a rainy, sober Saturday night ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia