Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:19 PM

49 posts, read 91,748 times

Advertisements

Hi Philly City-Data people!

Are there any string players / parents of string players out there?

I'm a professional violin / viola / fiddle player and an experienced private teacher who will be moving to the Mainline (Rosemont) in two months. I have a fantastic space for setting up a private studio and will be looking for smart young students (mainly ages 5 - 17... pre-college).

Does anyone know if there are elementary / middle / high schools on the Mainline with vibrant string programs? Public or private...

Any other cool music stuff happening on the Mainline? Enjoyable places to play & network? Places to meet musically-inclined families?

Any ideas would be much appreciated... thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 12:35 AM

30 posts, read 127,465 times
Interesting news feed. Here at Palo Alto High School, we have an extensive music program. To learn more about one of the upcoming AP Music theory concerts, you can view the story on the student run website:
Paly Voice: AP Music Theory class to host student concert (http://voice.paly.net/view_story.php?id=6906 - broken link)

Old 06-01-2008, 03:16 PM

Wink string programs in Philly area - Pennsylvania

Thank you for your kind reply.

Just to be clear, I was hoping to find out more about school string programs in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania suburbs (Mainline, i.e. Bryn Mawr, Villanova, Ardmore, etc.) in hopes of finding private students to take lessons with me in Rosemont, PA.

Don't think I'll be getting any private students from Palo Alto, California; that would be quite a commute for them!

Does anyone else know something about the Mainline PA music programs / school districts (Upper / Lower Merion, etc...???). I have not moved there yet, so I'm... clueless is the word, I guess. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:24 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,118 times
Here's a start:
[url=http://www.brynmawrconservatoryofmusic.com/]Since 1934 — Bryn Mawr Conservatory of Music. Private Lessons, Classical Music, Main Line, Piano, Voice, Strings[/url]

Old 06-02-2008, 09:54 AM

274 posts, read 1,400,640 times
I think Merion Mercy Academy has an orchestra. Also check out Academy of Notre Dame, Shipley School, Baldwin School, Agnes Irwin School and Country Day School of the Sacred Heart. All are private schools, some Catholic.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Thanks, the Sixth. I will check out all those places!

What about public schools there? Do they offer music? I hear that they are very good schools with large budgets...

Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,063 times
I think all public schools in the area will have an orchestra. I grew up in Montgomery county and I know that the public schools there started orchestra in 3rd grade and continued having one throughout middle school and high school.

Perhaps you could reach out to the music teachers at these schools. Also, you might want to create a listing on craigslist.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:01 AM

That is great news, Mar0; thank you!

Networking with the teachers to get on their private teacher list is exactly what I plan to do. I also will post an ad on Craigslist, just to get started, although I'm sure my studio will fill up in no time.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:35 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaNova View Post
Hi Philly City-Data people!

Are there any string players / parents of string players out there?

I'm a professional violin / viola / fiddle player and an experienced private teacher who will be moving to the Mainline (Rosemont) in two months. I have a fantastic space for setting up a private studio and will be looking for smart young students (mainly ages 5 - 17... pre-college).

Does anyone know if there are elementary / middle / high schools on the Mainline with vibrant string programs? Public or private...

Any other cool music stuff happening on the Mainline? Enjoyable places to play & network? Places to meet musically-inclined families?

Any ideas would be much appreciated... thank you!
Perkins Center for the Arts in Moorestown, NJ is the best in the region. I doubt you'll find much in Rosemont.

Perkins Center for the Arts in Moorestown, New Jersey (http://www.perkinscenter.org/programs.asp#conservatory - broken link)

Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 AM

Thanks, MR. You are lucky to have a place like that in your community - it looks beautiful!

I plan to BE a mini version of that, but just for violin, viola & fiddling, in Rosemont, so people in the immediate area don't have to drive into Philly or further for a high-level private teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia