Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 AM

17 posts, read 77,871 times

Advertisements

This has been my experience in Philly:
I got the impression that it was rundown and not a pretty city until UPenn area.
How safe is Philly? Is there any nightlife or is it too unsafe?

People I encountered on my trip to Philly were in a rush and not very friendly. Is it hard for newcomers to make friends here or for dating?

I'm considering moving but I'm concerned it would be very difficult for a newcomer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 PM

46 posts, read 181,462 times
Well, like any city/area, it has it's ups and downs.

Yes, many areas are rundown, crime ridden, etc. But there are also nicer areas where you shouldn't have a problem and that are clean, friendly, etc. Unfortunately, almost every area has it's good and bad sections so it's hard to totally claim one section 100% good or 100% bad. If that makes sense. For instance, there are homes in the downtown area that are in the $800K and up range and the area surrounding it is very nicely kept/safe/etc. But, go just a few blocks away and you may hit a bad area where the homes are rundown and the streets are littered with trash and you may get shot. Seriously.

I grew up in Tacony/Mayfair all my life. And while the area isn't as nice as it used to be, even just 10 years ago, it isn't that bad either. I mean, I feel safe walking around there as a female. But maybe because I am used to the area? It's hard to say.

As for nightlife, well downtown Philly has tons of stuff to do and that's only about a 10 minute car ride down I-95 from the Northeast/Tacony/Mayfair area. Of course each little neighborhood has their own local bars/hangouts too. So, it all depends on what you are looking to do.

Clubs, trendy bars, gay community, museums and the like can be found downtown.

Local watering holes, parks etc. can be found throughout the various neighborhoods.

Most people who aren't too fond of living in Philly opt to move up into the Bensalem/Bucks County area. But, once again, no area is 100% perfect.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:25 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_04 View Post
I got the impression that it was rundown and not a pretty city until UPenn area.
Obviously you didn't get to see too much. It is certainly a fast paced and sometimes rude town and requires a certain amount of toughness and street smarts as well as tolerance in order to get by. You sound like you might be a little too soft and immature to make a go of it here. Where are you coming from?

Old 06-17-2008, 05:10 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,710,318 times
Quote:

People I encountered on my trip to Philly were in a rush and not very friendly. Is it hard for newcomers to make friends here or for dating?

I'm considering moving but I'm concerned it would be very difficult for a newcomer
You must be a punk. Philadelphians are some of the realest but nicest people anywhere. If you can't handle that you don't belong here.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 PM

With comments like the two of you left it's no wonder people have the opinions they do about the city and it's occupants. All the guy was doing is asking a simple question. No need to get all defensive and attack him.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:09 PM

266 posts, read 1,235,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
You must be a punk. Philadelphians are some of the realest but nicest people anywhere. If you can't handle that you don't belong here.
HAHAHAHA!!!
Thanks for making me smile
Yeah, you heard what the lady said "scram!" LOL!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 PM

266 posts, read 1,235,158 times
[quote=From Philly;4136082

I grew up in Tacony/Mayfair all my life. And while the area isn't as nice as it used to be, even just 10 years ago, it isn't that bad either. I mean, I feel safe walking around there as a female. But maybe because I am used to the area? It's hard to say."

Hey is that near St. Ambrose Catholic church on Roosevelt Blvd? I spent part of my wonderful youth( 8-12 years old) on E, F street area. I forgot the name of the apartment complex there on Roosevelt Blvd.
I used to go down the Tacony creek with friends hunting for frogs,crayfish, whatever, playing stick ball,riding my Huffy. Like to go visit. Anyway, is that Mayfair?
How is it like now? It used to be mostly blue collar white neighborhood.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 PM

Um no. E and F streets are not even close. If E and F streets are off of the Blvd (I thought they were in Kensington?), then that is waaaaaaaaay down the BLVD from the Mayfair/Tacony section. Where I'm talking about is around Tyson and Torresdale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
Hey is that near St. Ambrose Catholic church on Roosevelt Blvd? I spent part of my wonderful youth( 8-12 years old) on E, F street area. I forgot the name of the apartment complex there on Roosevelt Blvd.
I used to go down the Tacony creek with friends hunting for frogs,crayfish, whatever, playing stick ball,riding my Huffy. Like to go visit. Anyway, is that Mayfair?
How is it like now? It used to be mostly blue collar white neighborhood.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:40 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,710,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From Philly View Post
With comments like the two of you left it's no wonder people have the opinions they do about the city and it's occupants. All the guy was doing is asking a simple question. No need to get all defensive and attack him.
Oh please. The guy is obviously being a snot. If he had good intentions he wouldve worded it better.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 AM
JPT

16 posts, read 46,700 times
Default In some places...

Quote:

People I encountered on my trip to Philly were in a rush and not very friendly.
Let me share my frst impression of Philly, which basically sums up my experience of the area and culture. I was at a the Wachovia Center for a concert a few years ago and I was sitting way up in the nosebleed section. The guy on my right became involved in an argument with a young guy who had just walked up. Apparently they both had bought tickets for the same seat.

They were very calm and almost dignified about the disagreement with their choice of words, until out of nowhere they started fighting, and they basically tossed each other head over heals, kicking other people's heads in who were already seated, all the way down maybe twenty rows of seats, until they were prompty ejected by the bouncer.

But to be fair, Philly, like any other old American city, is going to have areas in decine, and just like anywhere on the planet is going to have some rough and tumble people. All you have to do is pick up the Daily News and read about at least one murder every day.

The Inquirer has done interesting interactive maps as far as crime stats go. I think if one were considering living in Philly, this would be helpful in choosing a good neighborhood:
Violence - Philadelphia Inquirer

I can't comment on the city as a whole, but I've been to the following neighborhoods:

Center City is a nice gentrified, relatively clean area. This is where a lot of the museums are located, as well as most of the office buildings. Chinatown is neat too.

University City is home to U PA, Drexel, and a couple others I believe. I visited a culinary school one time also located in that neighborhood. It is relatively nice, but if you venture too far to the west, it starts to deteriorate and look/feel unsafe.

South Philly is a combination of working class, and "artsy" type places. Obviously everyone knows about South Street, basically a hip street to hang out and party. Lots of bars and colorful people hanging out on the sidewalks.

Port Richmond: And then one day just for fun, I drove through this neighborhood. It looks to be working class, mostly white. Nothing spectacular, but from my impression, if I had to choose an inexpensive, relatively decent area to live in Philly, I might consider this neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia