Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:21 AM

6 posts, read 16,962 times

Advertisements

I will be working in university city and want to live in a neighborhood that I can get to univ. city by public transportation. Diversity is also important as I don't want to be the only Black person in the neighborhood. I will be renting not owning and not concerned about proximity to bars, but it would be a perk to have restaurants near by. Overall I'm interested to know where the Black professionals of Philly live and if any of those areas are close to university city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,797,341 times
Any of the neighborhoods in Center City and University City are very integrated and color blind. I believe the population in the city is about 45% AA so you should feel comfortable pretty much everywhere close to U City.The only areas that might not welcome you are in the far Northeast and certain areas of South Philly.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:45 PM

46 posts, read 181,669 times
I Beg to differ. I come from the Tacony/Mayfair area (not far NE, grant it) and there are tons of black people there and they do not "stand out." Nor are they unwelcomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Any of the neighborhoods in Center City and University City are very integrated and color blind. I believe the population in the city is about 45% AA so you should feel comfortable pretty much everywhere close to U City.The only areas that might not welcome you are in the far Northeast and certain areas of South Philly.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:46 PM

I don't think anyone has a problem with others unless and until they become one of these deadbeat homeowners/renters who let their places go and in turn ruins the rest of the neighborhood with their trash and bad attitude. And, that kind of person can be black, white, chinese, etc.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:15 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,797,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From Philly View Post
I Beg to differ. I come from the Tacony/Mayfair area (not far NE, grant it) and there are tons of black people there and they do not "stand out." Nor are they unwelcomed.
That's probably why I said far northeast, (which Tacony/Mayfair is not) and not just the northeast. Being as how I am a typical friendly and polite Philadelphian I will let it go at that.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:01 PM

And that's why I said "grant it Tacony/Mayfair isn't the Far NE." But, I was pretty much letting him know that those areas may be something he'd want to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
That's probably why I said far northeast, (which Tacony/Mayfair is not) and not just the northeast. Being as how I am a typical friendly and polite Philadelphian I will let it go at that.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:00 PM

468 posts, read 2,361,712 times
Lots of black professionals live in University City and the rest of West Philly itself. It's a somewhat integrated area. Check out the Baltimore Avenue corridor between Cedar Park and Clark Park.

But yeah, as people have noted, Philly has a large black population and a rich African American history. It's not unusual to see black people in most parts of the city. When I lived in West Philly, my block was a fairly even mix of black, white, and Asian people.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,958,412 times
Overbrook Park and communities along City Line Avenue. The 44 Bus makes stops in front of WPVI, WCAU, Saint Josephs University and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Hospital...will have you downtown at University City In front of 30th Street train station in 10-15 minutes. Also, plenty of shopping and restaurants all along City Line Ave. Many black professionals, politicians and middle income blacks in the area.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:22 PM

6 posts, read 16,962 times
Default Thank you

Thank you all for helping me to narrow down the field. I think that the area west of university city seems to be more of what I'm looking for than center city. (which according to the 2000 census has a very small Black/non-White population at less than 10%).

Does anyone have any thoughts about the areas north of the city center? In other postings people have mentioned areas like Fairmount, N. Liberties and Art Museum. Are these areas diverse, safe, easy to get to Univ. City from?

Old 06-21-2008, 08:34 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,599,715 times
You could easily get to UC from West Mt. Airy. You may want to consider looking there.

Mount Airy, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

West Mt. Airy Neighbors

Last edited by newmarlig; 06-21-2008 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia