Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:27 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times

Advertisements

Okay guys, cut it out. Kudos to everyone for digging up the facts but how about if we let the OP decide what he wants to believe? Frankly, I doubt there is probably much difference between the top ten schools. Does it really matter if a school offers every single AP class there is?

Back to the OP's post, " We are hoping to relocate to either Exton, Downington, Chester Springs, West Chester area in a couple of years. I have done a lot of research but I want to get a feel for the area and look at some actual neighborhoods. I do not want to engage a Realtor because we will not be buying for quite awhile. I just want to drive and get some idea of where exactly we might want to live. A good high school will be important to us."

This person isn't even looking in the Main Line. He/She wants some comparison between some Chester County schools (all of which are good, right?) and names of some developments/areas to look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 12:04 AM

543 posts, read 1,901,218 times
Thanks to everyone for their OPINIONS on the area. We will be looking at neighborhoods, and so far most of the areas I like seem to be in good school districts. I won't be as interested in the high schools with the most AP classes as my daughter that takes the most AP classes will graduate here in California before we plan on moving. It is highly doubtful that we will move before then as she is just entering her junior year, not a good time to move a child.
I am not that interested in the Main Line area, even though I have heard it is very nice, I have also received feedback that it is very established and not an easy place for newcomers. I would like to be in an area where there are some others that have not been born and raised in the area. I think it will be an easier transition for us.
Once again, I am only interested in looking at some neighborhoods so that I will get an idea of where we want to look when we are ready to move. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:05 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post

Back to the OP's post, " We are hoping to relocate to either Exton, Downington, Chester Springs, West Chester area in a couple of years. I have done a lot of research but I want to get a feel for the area and look at some actual neighborhoods. I do not want to engage a Realtor because we will not be buying for quite awhile. I just want to drive and get some idea of where exactly we might want to live. A good high school will be important to us."

This person isn't even looking in the Main Line. He/She wants some comparison between some Chester County schools (all of which are good, right?) and names of some developments/areas to look at.
2nyc you are going to have to do some exploring to find the different developments which are usually pretty well hidden in the trees. Riding down 202 you wont see many developments from the naked eye most are off highway on secondary roads. Along with Valley Forge,Skippack,Chester Springs, Exton,West Chester Id recommend looking into the Chadds Ford/Westtown/Thornbury/Garnet Valley area.

Chester County still leading way in growth

By Don Beideman

Inquirer Staff Writer

Chester County continues to be a hot spot to set up housekeeping, not only in Pennsylvania but in the country, according to the latest figures from the U.S. Census Bureau.
In figures released this month that estimated population as of July 1, 2007 - 2008 figures aren't available yet - the bureau says the county has added 52,844 residents for a growth of 12.2 percent since the 2000 census.

It estimates the county population at 486,345. The 52,844 far outstrips the other 66 counties in the state. York County, No. 2 in growth for the period, added 39,298 residents while third-place Berks added 28,217.

Of Chester County's southeastern Pennsylvania neighbors, only Montgomery County made the top 10 with 27,185 new residents.

Chester County still leading way in growth | Philadelphia Inquirer | 07/20/2008 (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/pa/chester/nabes/25606834.html - broken link)
Chester Springs

Old 08-15-2008, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,465 times
I've been taking down names of communities pretty briskly here, and am grateful to have found this forum. I am considering a job opportunity in Philadelphia that pays $69K. My relocation budget is very tight, and I have a middle schooler. I'm hoping to find a community where my money will go farther than in the city, but that is safe and has good schools. Thought I'd take an apartment while I look for the best place to settle. Don't mind a commute, and am not even adament about living in Pennsylvania per se. Any advice about where I might look?

Old 08-15-2008, 11:40 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
Springfield or Havertown in Delaware County

Old 08-16-2008, 09:15 PM

104 posts, read 310,819 times
There are a lot of stats out there but personally I love Chadds Ford. Our family lived there for 4 years and just recently moved out of state due to hubby's job. We were very sad to leave.
Unionville Chadds Ford has a great school district and although it's sometimes perceived as "the new Main Line" you can find homes under $700. There are two neighborhoods off of 202 in Chadds Ford that IMO have the best locations. They are the Ridings and Raven Crest, both off of Ridge Road. They are easily accessable to Phili, Wilmington, shopping, Rt 1 and 95. It's 2 miles from the Brandywine Towne Center (tax free shopping in DE). The Ridings homes are a little more expensive, a little newer and have slightly more square footage but Raven Crest has bigger rooms and better lots. Also, they are building a lot of commercial behind the Ridings so it may not be as quiet as it once was. Raven Crest is smaller so it has not had a lot of turnover therefore the prices are still reasonable. The bad thing is that you may have to wait for a home to become available in Raven Crest. You could get a home at or under $600 in Raven Crest and at or under $720 in the Ridings.
The homes are not new but many have been updated. I believe there is actually a foreclosure that just went on the market in Raven Crest right now that is selling for $474. The house next door just sold for $628 by owner so if you wanted to buy now you would have equity! Some lucky buyer will figure that out soon.

Obviously I lived in this area and am just giving my opinion. I hope you have a great visit. It's really beautiful in Chadds Ford. I would move back in a heart beat!

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 18,743 times
Question Where did you decide to live?!?!

I am researching all the same places you were last year and I'd love to know where you chose to live! Hope you're still posting..

If not, where do people recommend for English speaking Expats? Is there anywhere non English speaking expats tend to live cos I can't see anywhere!!

Thanks,

Jax

Old 09-04-2008, 07:23 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Jax,

As you saw in the recent "West Chester and Sprawl" thread, there are no specific expat areas in the area for new residents from the UK/Australia, at least not in the suburbs where you have been looking. Some new Irish citizens may settle in parts of the Northeast but that's all that I'm aware of.

Many native Spanish speakers as well as some West Africans tend to cluster in some parts of the city. But again, nothing like that really exists in the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanJax View Post
I am researching all the same places you were last year and I'd love to know where you chose to live! Hope you're still posting..

If not, where do people recommend for English speaking Expats? Is there anywhere non English speaking expats tend to live cos I can't see anywhere!!

Thanks,

Jax

Old 09-04-2008, 07:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensmom101 View Post
I've been taking down names of communities pretty briskly here, and am grateful to have found this forum. I am considering a job opportunity in Philadelphia that pays $69K. My relocation budget is very tight, and I have a middle schooler. I'm hoping to find a community where my money will go farther than in the city, but that is safe and has good schools. Thought I'd take an apartment while I look for the best place to settle. Don't mind a commute, and am not even adament about living in Pennsylvania per se. Any advice about where I might look?
How far of a commute are you willing to go?

Plymouth Meeting,King of Prussia,Lafayette Hill,West Chester,Concordville,Chester Springs are newer communities that may be easier to assimilate into but the commute is anywhere from 30 min to an hour into Center City.Ardmore,Narberth,Haverford,Havertown are much closer, much older apartments and much more parochial but Top notch schools.

On the Jersey side Cherry Hill has an easy commute into Center City and is a hotbed for new residents into the area.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia