Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:17 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I'm a Philly wannabe. I'm from Downingtown but Philly is just so much cooler. They got the Art Museum and great food, among many other things. I suppose I'm guilty as charged by the OP.
At least you're honest. Seems like the rest of the wannabe's have a serious case of denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 07:18 PM

69 posts, read 223,832 times
I never say I am FROM Philly, I say I am nearby to Philly. It's not a knock or a compliment either way - it's just that when you are talking to someone who wouldn't know what a "Jamison" is, saying near Philly gives them a little idea of where you're close to.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:23 AM

181 posts, read 607,583 times
Why does the OP even care? I say that I live in the Philly burbs, when asked. I don't think that anyone gets brownie points or extra respect from living within the city limits. Or do they? Am I missing something? Is that what the wage tax pays for?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:10 AM

81 posts, read 273,841 times
I wasn't even born in Philly, I was born out in Bermuda and moved to Philadelphia (Queen Village) when I was little. Then we moved to the burbs in Ardmore, and eventually to Hatboro/Willow Grove. Since I've moved down to South Carolina for college, its just much easier to say I'm from Philly. Its already complicated enough to figure out where to say I'm from (family still in Italy and am an Italian citizen , born in Bermuda, Philly the first place I lived in the US, Hatboro where I graduated from HS). No one down here would know where Castellana Grotte or Hatboro is, so Philadelphia is the catch-all.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:07 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What??? I'm just the opposite. I DON'T want people think I'm from the City of Philadelphia. I always say I'm from the Philly burbs. You're are right, though, they are very different. The city unfortunately is largely a hell hole, unlike most of the burbs which are very nice and actually survivable.
I don't even say that,now I'm actually proud to say I'm from somewhere else!
I've noticed though that now being here myself that outsiders pretty much call anywhere in the surrounding area Philadelphia,which actually works to the benefit of those who actually are not brave enough to live most of what actually is Philadelphia,can claim they live in Philadelphia even if they're counties away. Personally I don't see any benefit in it other than to showboat,but to people that far away they don't care anyway.
And as for the natives of the actual city,they laugh at those suburbanites that actually claim Philadelphia.
Although to me it's all one big ball of ****

Old 08-26-2008, 09:02 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
philly sucks. that's why I live in queen village?

Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Oh you live in THAT Philly...

Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times

Old 08-31-2008, 05:51 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times
Default Typical comment from a wealthy Suburban!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
In defense of those who took offense to the OP's ridiculous original message the rebuttals have been fairly tame and in no way have crossed the line imo. OP was looking to stir up trouble and he/she succeeded famously.

No one here said or insinuated that suburbanites were better than city residents or that non blacks were better than blacks. The only thing that was mentioned were the contrast in the stability of neighborhoods between the suburbs and the inner city neighborhoods of Philadelphia.This weekend 11 shot-4 killed in Philadlephias notorious hoods.

As far as the comment concerning who built Philadlephia.Not to discount the black influence and good things they presented to Philadelphia over the years but the demographics of Philadlephia had been 90% + white as recently as 60 years ago. Most of the people now living in the Philadelphia suburbs had a parent,grandparent, or great grandparent grow up in the city of Philadlelphia. Every text book involving Philadelphia history will tell you the once great neighborhoods of West + North Philly were built by ethic Europeans, Jews and blacks who made up about 5% of Philadlephias population.

Lastly The inner city of Philadlephia,Camden,Chester etc need to stop screwing around and waiting for everyone else to solve their problems. These communities need to start creating their own economies, thats how it works.They need to start building their own small businesses,homes,markets. They need to start producing their own school teachers ,lawyers, counselors and productive citizens who can go to a supermarket and not worry about getting a .38 jammed into their rib cage.

What does your comments have anything to do with this Blog?

Is it the fault of the poor who is in the middle of crime and the corrupt?

I see your from Villanova! Oh what a nice place to live and raise a family.

Your very lucky.

Villanova is considered to be in Philadelphia.

No it's in Delaware County!!

Drugs dealers will not ever be allowed to live in your area.

You make it sound like people in North Philly, Camden, Chester and Coatsville like to live in the wild, wild west.

I don't like the killings!

Do you think every Black person want to die?

Come on!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 07:51 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
What does your comments have anything to do with this Blog?

Is it the fault of the poor who is in the middle of crime and the corrupt?
I was replying to a bleeding heart liberal who blamed everyone else for the plight of the inner cities and demanded that others supply inner city people with jobs. Thats not how it works my friend. Successful communities create and maintain their own jobs and businesses. Even if others did supply the inner cities with jobs the cold reality of the situation is those communities are so unstable, so poorly lacking in family structure/family values that they would probably destroy any goodwill shown to them within a month. You reap what you sow is a pretty good adage in regards to what is happening in the inner cities.

Instead of blaming everyone else for their times of trouble North Philly,Camden,Chester need to start looking in the mirror and ask themselves what are we doing wrong?

Quote:
I see your from Villanova! Oh what a nice place to live and raise a family.

Your very lucky.
It wasnt luck and I wasnt born where I live now. Alot of hard work in addition to having a very good family who sacrificed to allow me to get where I am. I wasnt born into opulence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Opinion
Drugs dealers will not ever be allowed to live in your area.
Drug dealers dont magically appear out of thin air. They are a product of the environment they were raised in. If you want to eliminate drug dealers, if you want more jobs you need to start building better families. Stop with the excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia