Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,427 times

Advertisements

Well I've been pouring through these boards and might just be more confused than ever. Jersey/ Philly, Main line/ or all the way out in Bucks county? YIKES!

My parter (legal wife here in Boston) has a fantastic job opportunity in Philadelphia .... around the UC area and it seems like a really good move for our family for a variety of reasons. That said it is very difficult to leave Boston considering the wonderful neighborhood and amazing community we have here. I'm hoping there is something similar in and around the Philadelphia area.... historic houses, block parties, neighborhood list serves, family friendly, artistic vibe, access to shops and restraunts (totally missing good schools but that's an issue for a Boston forum). Our neighborhood is probably among the most diverse in the city and has a real mix or family structures... just to give you a sense there are 90 gay identified households on our neighborhood listserve for a 7 block radius.

In a house we are looking for single family (not a twin), 3 bedroom 2 bath. Prefer older (currently in a 1920 craftsman), and as our kids get older outdoor space seems more important so at least a small yard with access to public space would be great. It's hard to say but we're thinking $500K but need to factor in taxes and/or if we need to pay tuition at private school. So maybe less.

Our boys are 4 yrs and 19 months and they are our primary concern in seeking a neighborhood. We are very concerned about schools (they would attend private schools if we stayed here) but even more concerned that they see other families that look like ours. We really don't want them to be the only ones with two moms at school or the only adopted kids etc. That said, we seem to be up against the same issue we faced here in Boston... choosing between diversity or good schools. So here is what we've heard so far:

"Don't move to PA, way to conservative... go to Jersey "(Collingswood, Haddonfield, or Moorestown)

"Anywhere in Philly is gay friendly "(this seems to mean something different to everyone so anyones guess here)

"Mt.Airy or Chestnut Hill are good choices and public schools could be an option there"

"Main Line schools are 5th in the country and close enough to Philly that you should be fine" Which one's... what is fine? Will my kids feel marginalized or too different?

Finally... "Bucks county meets all your criteria and is commutable" followed by anothers opinion that "Bucks county is a weekend community for Philadelphia residents and no way commutable.

Oh and I've seen some posts here about Media that have caught my attention.

So given our interests, limits, and family structre does anyone want to confuse us more with other suggestions? Do you know other gay families and what has the school experience been like for those kids? Would the lack of legal protection in PA make Jersey the only viable option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:47 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,526,366 times
Wallingford/Swarthmore has pretty much all you are looking for - great schools, old homes, liberal environment, great people. regional rail line to the city.

Media next door also offers most of this, plus the walkable downtown with restaurants you will be looking for...

Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
Mt. Airy, though there are more twins than singles. Public schools would be hit or miss, but there are plenty of private options.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:16 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,007 times
West Mt. Airy, but again there's more twins. You can still look for a single, though. It's a historic area, lots of trees, etc. My aunt's block has several 2 mom or 2 dad families and it's not an issue at all. There's also a decent amount of racial and ethnic diversity as well. They often have block parties or community get-togethers, Chestnut Hill is nearby and very nice, and the commute to University City would be easy. Either drive down Lincoln Drive or hop on a train. As for schools, if you do your research and are involved in your sons' education, it's possible to get a decent experience out of public schools. There are also private/parochial schools all over the area.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:21 AM

160 posts, read 802,440 times
I agree with the above. I live in Mt Airy/chestnut hill myself, and it's extremely diverse. Not only are there more 2-mom or 2-dad situations, but the ethnic diversity is all over. I've never researched this, I just know this from living there, so you may want to look it up to get some numbers.I think 500K would get you a single,it's just that there aren't many in that area. If any are for sale, I'm sure you can find a beautiful stone single for 500K or less, depending on the area. Generally, chestnut hill is higher taxes and higher price homes. In mt airy, stay west or closer to lincoln drive for the areas you would feel most comfortable in. you can find more singles in mt airy than in chestnut hill. search them. The zips are 19119, and 19118

Old 08-18-2008, 11:59 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,375 times
From what I have heard about West Mt. Airy, I think it would be perfect for what you are looking for, although you may want to send your kids to private school. Mt. Airy is gorgeous...older architecture, leafy streets, active and involved community, diverse, etc.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:55 PM

45 posts, read 209,369 times
I vote for Media. Walkable town, friendly community with diversity.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:25 PM

183 posts, read 631,855 times
I would recommend that you look in Yardley and West Chester...both are a bit far out of the city, but they have the elements you seek. Your housing dollars will go further in West Chester, but Yardley is a better choice if you like the idea of a small town atmosphere, plus it's on the river, and there are in fact tons of homes in your price range right now...and the public schools are among the best in the suburbs, and quite diverse...plus it is 10-15 min from New Hope, which is perhaps the most gay friendly community in the Philly metro.
West Chester has the advantage of being a real college town, plus the downtown area offers an amazing number of good restaurants.
Good luck with the move.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:41 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,023 times
It may be to you're advantage, taxwise, to look in NJ..since NJ legally recognizes your living arrangement, I believe.

Collingswood, maybe?

I know of at least 2 other same sex parents where I live (Cinnaminson) schools are decent, but housing is mostly 50's era splits and ranches. Collingswood has some nice older homes.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:35 PM

274 posts, read 1,400,712 times
These further out suggestions of West Chester, Yardley or NJ need to be looked at with an eye to how much time you want to spend commuting to University City. I would say you could find all that you need with the earlier suggestions of W. Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill and have a much shorter commute to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia