Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 12:37 PM

7 posts, read 36,049 times

Advertisements

Hello
We are new to the Philly area and are looking at buying houses in Chester County. Our budget is $400K and we are considering West Chester, Exton, Downingtown, Chester springs at this point. We are new to home owning and hence cannot risk a house older than 10 years.

Looks like we can afford a better house around Thorndale but as I understand, the school district is an issue. My question is, with all these new developments and money flowing in through taxes, will the school district ever improve? I read somewhere that Coatseville spends around $8000 per student, which is higher than many school districts in Chester county. One of my friend has bought a house with O'Neil development in Thorndale and he has based his decision on the fact that down the line the school district will eventually develop. We are a couple in early thirties and a four month old baby, so school district is not a issue for the next 3-4 years. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks
Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 02:07 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
Buy pretty much anywhere but Coatesville SD - maybe check out Phoenixville and Collegeville and Malvern. Coatesville SD was the victim of major embezzling and has to raise bail out money via taxes. The city of Coatesville is a ghetto so your kids will be going to high school with ruffians. Resale out here will always be less than other areas with better schools.

Thorndale is a lovely area - we are currently renting here and sending our son to a private kindergarten bc of his age but I wouldn't really consider sending him to public school here much past elementary - Caln Elementary to be exact...

Coatesville does have Graystone Academy Charter school and West Chester's charter school will take kids from Coatesville SD if slots are available but that's a big if....

Pope John Paul II catholic elementary in Downingtown is another fairly local option.

And personally I find older homes to be better built and a tad easier to maintain - just get a reputable home inspector (Castle Inspections in Springfield, PA is great, just don't know if they come out this far) and you will be MUCH better off. New construction can be cheaper for the first few years, but the construction is often so poor, the place falls apart and looks shabby by year 4 or 5. The plumbing will also be PVC so you hear the water in the walls every time somebody flushes or bathes. Same with the roof, windows, walls, doors, floors etc...all cheaply made and installed, esp if built in the past 5 years.

The nicer builders around here if you decide to go new are Moser, Dewey, Rouse Chamberlain, maybe PA Keystone Homes.

Avoid Orleans and Pulte, be skeptical of Toll Brothers...

Good Luck!

Last edited by orrmobl; 09-06-2008 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-06-2008, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 36,049 times
orrmobl
Thanks a bunch for your detailed answer. Regarding builders, how would you rate David Cutler Group. I heard some good reviews about this builder and they have some homes available in our budget in Chester Springs.
Kris

Old 09-06-2008, 09:32 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
Sorry not familiar with them. I found a rating from 2 people 1 good and 1 avg good. Also Wikipedia loves them If they are as premium and do stick built construction as Wikipedia says, I would think they would a great builder to buy from...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia