Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 03:52 PM

58 posts, read 182,537 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but I have another question . In 3 or 4 years, I will have to start my college education over as a young (27 now), single, black (Nigerian parents), woman. I need an area and city of the country that is very academic and offers many medical lab research jobs and medical lab study opportunities and it seems like the Northeast is the best region for me. I don't want the crime and lack of diversity of D.C. and Baltimore and don't want the expensiveness, fewer degrees of coldness, terrorist threat, and big urban hassles of Newark and NYC. Boston is probably too cold for my liking. ANYWAY, I'm pretty sure, wherever I land, I'm staying there because I would be approaching 40 by the time I get a PhD. So, while in school, I'll probably be searching for that special someone to spend my life with .

Anyway, I'm 98% sure my "special someone" is a brown, bronzed-skinned, huge-hearted Puerto Rican, Dominican, or Cuban . So, I'd really like to live in Philly because its the farthest-south Northeast city with diversity and an academia, but seems like from the stats its mostly black and white people, only 8.5% Latino. Also, I've read and heard that New Jersey seems to have plenty of Carribean latinos. I don't exactly need or want to be surrounded with all the Spanish, but also don't want trouble finding a mate. I'd be willing to settle between Trenton and Philly or on the other side of the bridge from Philly AROUND (not in) Camden. Even the metro area between Philly and Wilmington is fine.

Do you think my romantic life would do fine in the Philadelphia metro area or is south and middle New Jersey probably a better spot? (I know it's a subjective question, but if you have any opinions I'd be more than happy to hear them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:20 AM

160 posts, read 802,674 times
I have to be honest, I have read your other posts and I see that this is an area of concern for you, but I must say that you should not choose an area to live based on this. You seem to be well-educated, intelligent and motivated. I have met many hispanic individuals in my career and have had many hispanic friends over the course of my life here in Philadelphia. I cannot really say whether there are more individuals to your liking here or in NJ. I can say that you should first pick a school and area to live, and then, if you are still considering interacting with hispanic people as a driving force for your future romantic life, I suppose you could look up latin groups and churches in the area, of which we have many. It may be difficult for people on this forum to respond to your question about this because in reality, you could move to an area of no hispanic people and meet the only puerto rican there and begin a relationship. A large amount of attractive people is not to say that you will even find one to your liking in any area. All this to say, check out the schools you are interested in and then decided based on courses they offer and the local job market. But I have to say, if you're in Florida already, why not check out Miami? It seems to have all the things you are looking for.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:56 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
There is a significant enough Hispanic community here, traditionally Puerto Rican but expanding into other ethnicities as well. However, while they may be friendly enough towards you, I don't know if there is the "luv" quotient that you'd find in say, NYC. If that's the dealbreaker for you, then I'd actually recommend the Big Apple or at least North Jersey.

Then again... you could come up here, hit a few Latin clubs and see what kind of play you get. If the fellas take a shine to you, then you might find your "papi" here, after all.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:43 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
NYC/NJ/Philly/B'more/DC all have latin spice.....

yo - welcome to the northeast...

Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 PM

58 posts, read 182,537 times

Old 10-24-2008, 06:48 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Not sure what the eye-rolling is in reference to...

Old 10-28-2008, 04:54 PM

301 posts, read 922,172 times
dude...you're gonna love this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: