Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 09:37 PM

9 posts, read 62,311 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am moving to Philadelphia and trying find a good location to live. My work location is near the airport. I am married with a 6 year old kid. The best school for my kid is my first and prime priority. I am willing to commute 30-45 minutes. I will also consider New Jersey. Can someone please suggest some family-friendly neighborhoods with amenities that meet my criteria?

As I do not know much about this area, any simple suggestion or guidance will be appreciated gratefully.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
Some school districts in fairly ranked order:

Wallingford Swarthmore (great place to live, high taxes, fairly expensive homes) My #1 choice in the area

Garnet Valley(Glen Mills, Bethel Twp, Concord Twp) (total suburbia, very expensive homes)

Rose Tree Media (great place to live, walkable downtown, still pretty pricey) My # 2 choice in the area

Haverford (Havertown) (similar to Springfield other side of Delco though)

Springfield Delco (much more affordable, great place to live)

Ridley (even more affordable, good place for families)

If you can give us a price range, we can help narrow things down for you.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyabc View Post
Hi,
I am moving to Philadelphia and trying find a good location to live. My work location is near the airport. I am married with a 6 year old kid. The best school for my kid is my first and prime priority. I am willing to commute 30-45 minutes. I will also consider New Jersey. Can someone please suggest some family-friendly neighborhoods with amenities that meet my criteria?

As I do not know much about this area, any simple suggestion or guidance will be appreciated gratefully.

Thanks in advance.
Perhaps the top school district in the state is TE (conestoga high school). you can commute to center city/penn via train. the towns of note would be wayne/strafford/devon/berweyn/paoli.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 62,311 times
Thanks.

Someone suggested me that NJ would be my best bet because it is safer, more family friendly etc. Can you please suggest some good areas in NJ that is within my 30-45 min commute range from Ridley Park?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2009, 01:39 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Someone suggested me that NJ would be my best bet because it is safer, more family friendly etc. Can you please suggest some good areas in NJ that is within my 30-45 min commute range from Ridley Park?

Thanks
that someone lied. it's no safer or family friendly than Pa burbs.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:00 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Thanks
Safe from what? jersey is closer to the ocean if there is a huricane. Seriously, "someone" is either an idiot, or they are goofing on you.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:29 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
I'm surprised that some of our suburban NJ residents haven't chimed in. There are certainly enough appropriate choices in the western PA suburbs that commuting from across the river to Ridley sn't necessary. That said, I'd encourage you to check out the New Jersey forum as well for another perspective.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:41 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
I'm definitely biased towards PA, but I have to admit that there are nice places on both sides of the river. I'd say look at the places just across the Commodore Barry Bridge, but I didn't recognize the towns when I pulled up a map. Collingswood is often recommended, and I think Haddon Heights, too (or Haddonfield...or both, the names are too similar so I could be getting that confused). Cherry Hill is also nice.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:21 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
I'm not sure who told you that but to say they are misinformed is an understatement.

Swedesboro, NJ has a lot of great new homes/new suburbs but why the heck would you want to drive across a toll bridge and up congested I-95 every day when you could find a great place in PA? Just doesn't make sense.

PA is definitely the nicer overall place to live. The list I gave you still holds - any one of those places are good to great to live and close to Ridley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia