Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 19,761 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking at homes around the $120,000 price range. Currently I am looking in Mayfair. Some of the properties I have looked at are:

4200 block on Marple St.
4000 block on Teesdale
3200 block on Unruh
3300 block on Englewood

I know the more desireable area is north of Frankford between Rhawn and Cottman, however many of those homes are just out of price range. I know the Marple property is about a block in south of Frankford so I assume it wouldn't be too terrible.

I am a first time home buyer and will be living with my girlfriend. We just want a place that we can call home. Not looking for anything super nice, just something that is in a decent area and affordable.

Any suggestions will help greatly. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 01:12 PM

6 posts, read 16,749 times
I think the entire Northeast is overpriced and still has a lot farther to drop. The lower Northeast is going to get especially hard hit. Take a look at the prices in the areas as little as 7 years ago. HUGE difference. They only got to where they were because people had to think twice about leaving for the suburbs because of affordability issues plus loans were easier to come by. Do not even think about moving there.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 PM

119 posts, read 613,703 times
Mayfair still has some really nice area's with large affordable row homes,It isn't the nieghborhood it was 10-15 years ago but there are still some nice parts.I perfer the area around lincoln highschool and pennypack park.That being said AVOID everything from 4200-4700 block.you want to be on the other side of frankford ave.
I lived on the 4700 block of vista between cottman and sheffield st.It is a giant sh*t Hole.Very comparable to when I left kensington (D st. & westmoreland st.). Yes its that bad.
Now I live near pennypack and lincoln high,only alittle over a mile away but its like another world.
Don't buy anything on the 4000 blocks.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:52 PM

692 posts, read 2,350,885 times
You should go in between Toresdale and Frankford right around Cottman.. You can get some good deals, and the neighborhoods are still very nice and friendly. Specifically right around Princeton St and Frankford.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 PM

Stay away from toresdale,try to be between frankford and rowland,or between fkd and brouse ave.

90% of the nieghborhood around toresdale ave is section8 renters,crime ridden,drug infested filth!

Do not spend your money there.
Dont let a real estate agent tell YOU were to live.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:18 PM

6 posts, read 16,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
Stay away from toresdale,try to be between frankford and rowland,or between fkd and brouse ave.

90% of the nieghborhood around toresdale ave is section8 renters,crime ridden,drug infested filth!

Do not spend your money there.
Dont let a real estate agent tell YOU were to live.
I also forgot about the jacking up in home prices due to absentee NYC landlords for investment purposes. Prices of homes miraculously went up despite neighborhoods going to ****. I wouldn't bid over $60,000 for anything east of Frankford Ave or $100,000 for any row west of Frankford. I'm not including Winchester or Lexington Parks- they're still nice and probably will be for some time. I'm thinking even the twins should be no more than $130,000, $140,000 TOPS. Bid low, they're probably not worth anywhere near asking price.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,952 times
How about Port Richmond? With the gentrification of Fishtown, the push should be on to there next. It's almost the same as Mayfair but with better location and more upside, IMO.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:50 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
there's more upside to port richmond, but I think mayfair is a nicer place right now.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:12 PM

Born and raised in Philly,I have lived in kensington,frankford,tacony,and now mayfair and have lots of friends and family from port rich,bridesburg,fishtown and northern liberties or what ever there calling it these days.I feel I have a good feel for these areas and my opinion is this;Even though some of port richmond is a lot nicer then it's been in a long time and a lot of mayfair is not what it once was,Mayfair is a much nicer place to live,based on quality of people,surronding area,average size of house,(my row home is almost 1600 square.),crime rate,drug use,parking... what ever niether one is great but for a first time home buyer you get more bang for your buck in mayfair.JMO.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 PM

692 posts, read 2,350,885 times
Slickvik; I hope you werent referring to me telling him where to live? I was just giving my suggestions. There is a cluster of streets between Torresdale and Frankford, Between Princeton and Cottman that have some VERY good deals and are VERY safe. Yes typically near Torresdale towards the bridge are NOT good.. this was just one cluster I was referring to and certainly was not telling someone where to live, just giving suggestions as everyone else was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia