Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:16 PM

9 posts, read 37,201 times

Advertisements

I am re-locating to Philly with my wife and 1 year-old daughter in a few days. My company is putting us up in an apartment at 15th and Girard. Is this area decent and safe? I know things get sketchy going north up Broad, and I've heard Spring or Fairmount is the dividing line, but I also know these neighborhoods have been changing over the years.

So...Anyone with any recent info/insight? My wife was born and raised out West (Tucson), and has never lived the east coast life. I'm nervous for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 04:18 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,100 times
According to other folks, that particular section of Girard Ave is fine but bordering on bad sections. Just don't go North or past Broad St. or more than 10 blocks West (according to some, others say it's good til 33rd St.).

Personally I just steer clear of anything having to do with Girard Ave. Can you request to be placed elsewhere?

From the posts it seems to be an ok blue collar area but your wife should not travel alone in the early morning hours (jogging etc) or after dark. Just my opinion and not trying to scare anybody but it is the city, you definitely are in the center of more sketchy areas and better safe than sorry.

Good luck!

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...girard-st.html

And here's another opinion saying the area is not particularly safe:

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...bout-west.html

Last edited by orrmobl; 07-23-2009 at 04:27 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. I can't really choose where I will be placed, my company is hooking me up with a free apartment while I go to law school. I am kind of worried about my wife. I'm not bragging, but she's pretty darn attractive and has never lived in this kind of urban environment...Looks like we'll have to tough it out.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:08 PM

112 posts, read 379,627 times
Hi there,

Maybe you can post a picture of your wife so that we can give a more accurate assessment...

I commute from Center City to Temple University. From my observation, That part is ok because it is a busy junction. There's a subway, McDonald's, KFC, Gas Station, Post Office etc. A few blocks North is Temple and the campus is safe. They are building a Fresh Grocer Supermarket just 1 block south of Temple, between Oxford and Jefferson. I'm not sure when it'll be ready.

If you look at google maps, I wouldn't advice her to venture North of Girard (except Temple). Also, the south of Girard ( West - Corinthian ave, South - Fairmount, East - Broad), this block is sketchy. Once you're west of the Eastern State Penn, it's fine.

You should drive around the area in daylight to check it out. I actually think that my impression of Philly got better after moving in and getting to know the neighborhood better. I wouldn't walk around there after dark.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:23 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,350 times
Honestly - I would advice your wife not to go out alone for a jog at night unless you're with her.. That part of Girard is not horrible, but it's honestly bordering on some sketchy areas and personally as a 30 year old female myself I would not feel comfortable going out to walk my dog or take a walk unless my husband was with me (even then, I would limit how far we walked).

Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the replies. We are definitely going to be moving to 15th and Girard, but it sounds like it'll be a bit of adjustment...

Old 07-24-2009, 08:49 AM

158 posts, read 814,496 times
Yeah, this part of Girard isn't HORRIBLE but it's certainly not great. I'd be extra careful at night. It's right near Girard College and the area near the college is definitely not safe at night. I'd think if you're coming from AZ you're going to Penn Law and not Temple...if I'm correct, why not just take out loans and move to a nicer area that's safer for the family? 15th and Girard is far from Penn. If you're going to Temple, it's fairly close, but still loans might make it worth while?

Old 07-24-2009, 01:18 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
I lived in Philly for a year-3 months in Rittenhouse Square , the rest in Bryn Mawr. Be warned, since your wife has not lived in the 'Urban Environment' be prepared to hear her cry, every day, all day, "I don't fell safe here, Please I want to go home".

Old 07-27-2009, 06:05 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times
You get what you pay for.
I think you are asking a lot of your wife so that you can go to lawschool. Have you stopped to consider her needs at all in your decision making process? Where is she meant to go with your 1 year old? Is it not important that she feel safe enough to get out and about with your kid?

Ask your employer if you can pay the difference to live somewhere better for your family. I have a feeling that unless your wife is unusually compliant and understanding, you may have some rocky times ahead.

If I agreed to move to sketchs'ville for my dh it would only be after much discussion and weighing of options.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:03 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overman View Post
I am re-locating to Philly with my wife and 1 year-old daughter in a few days. My company is putting us up in an apartment at 15th and Girard. Is this area decent and safe? I know things get sketchy going north up Broad, and I've heard Spring or Fairmount is the dividing line, but I also know these neighborhoods have been changing over the years.

So...Anyone with any recent info/insight? My wife was born and raised out West (Tucson), and has never lived the east coast life. I'm nervous for her.
Yeah, I don't live too far away. there have been a number of abandoned properties up there that have been rehabbed for student housing (some of which look nice) and I imagine one of these is where you'll be living. this is not a gentrified area. that said, crime has gone down around there. Girard itself is fairly busy and not really crime ridden. you didn't mention whether you'd have a car or not. If you're carless, it's a location that's both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because you're one block from Broad and Girard which is an express stop on the broad st subway (center city, sports games, shopping, etc) as well as C bus and the 15 trolley runs along Girard. It's a curse because there isn't much of interest in the immediate vicinity. that said, you can buy most of your basics nearby. there's a CVS drug store where you can get milk, eggs, cereal, etc. There's a family dollar on north broad. It's not the nicest store in the world, but you can get decent prices on toilet paper, paper towels, etc. There's a seafood place as well. further down north broad is a Puerto Rican restaurant (Cobre) and a new sports bar opening up. to the north, there's a bunch of lower end shops but at Broad and Oxford there's a relatively new movie theater that shows mainstream movies. It's actually not a bad place to see a movie. there are a number of restaurants here including a Korean place called Kojja. This is about five blocks from where you'll be living. In January of 2010, there's a new supermarket scheduled to open here as well. Regarding walking, I'd recomend sticking to road mostly,particularly when going north. If going east of Broad, I' either ride my bike, drive my car, or take the trolley. the area immediately east of broad on girard isn't great (mostly because the areas just off girard east of broad aren't great). that said, the trolley will take you to northern liberties (5th to front), the el, and fishtown which have a fair amount of nightlife and eateries. the subway will take you to center city where there's plenty of nightlife and shopping. going to fairmount's restaurants, I'd walk to corinthian (Girard college) on Girard ave before heading south if it's later at night. that's not set in stone, francisville is much improved. In fact, during the day, I'd walk through most of the area. the only place I'd suggest you avoid, particularly late at night, is ridge ave around 16th to 18th. 17th and 18th don't go through to fairmount ave anyways. There's a bunch of things at 20th and fairmount including a rite aid, hardware store, excellent ice cream shop that's open late, salon, pet shop, barber. at corinthian there's a nice italian eatery and down below fairmount ave around 16th is a decent dive called kelli ann's and 17th and green is saint stephens green which is a nice pub and restaurant. closer is the last chance saloon at 18th and girard. unlike some other area bars, this isn't a bad place to have a drink. mostly an old man bar. Like I said, it's better than it used to be but I'd mostly stick to the commercial drags to get other places. Unlike many areas, that are continues to develop with more properties being rehabbed all the time. there's a big one at 15th and poplar (or is it 16th?) that is just in the finishing stages. I'd imagine you'll see a noticeable improvement over the time period you stay there. hope this is helpful. If it helps, I'd consider living there, though it wouldn't be my top pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia