Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 08:51 PM

457 posts, read 1,109,346 times

Advertisements

I am planning a little trip to check out Philly's neighborhoods.

I always hear about Old City, South Street, Rittenhouse and occasionally UC, Italian Market and Chinatown. Excluding the outer (Manayunk, etc) areas are there any that I am missing?

For example, do Fairmount or Norther Liberties have commercial strips. I always get the the impression that they have a few things here and there, but not really any critical mass of activity?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 07:00 AM

101 posts, read 384,531 times
Northern Liberties has a lot happening on 2nd St. (N. of Sring Garden). There is also Liberties Walk with a lot of shopping, restaurants, etc. Passyunk Ave. (E. of Broad St.) in South Philly also has a lot going on. I don't know what the hip term for this area is anymore.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,286 times
A few areas you didn't mention are worth checking out. I'm not sure if you're looking for a concentrated single strip of activity or an overall neighborhood....I'm listing neighborhoods that have both.

The Washington Square neighborhood is one. It's roughly bounded by Washington Square Park on the east (6th Street), 12th Street to the west, Pine Street to the south and Chestnut Street to the north. There are several pockets of commercial activity within the area.

Another is Bella Vista, which is often overlooked because South Street (just to the north of the neighborhood) stops folks who aren't familiar from walking further south. It's bounded by South Street to the north (some say Lombard), Washington Avenue to the south, 6th Street to the east and 10th Street to the west. It includes the bustling Italian Market area (around 9th and Christian) and a vibrant strip along Bainbridge from 3rd Street to 6th Street. The neighborhood has probably the highest density of good restaurants in the city.

The East Passyunk corridor in South Philly is really taking off as well.

Northern Liberties is pretty much dead in terms of commercial zones except for the manufactured/strip mall-ish Piazza at Schmidts. There are a couple of blocks of commercial development otherwise which don't show any life until after dark.

Fairmount has some development going on along Fairmount Avenue and has shown some good steady improvement.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:23 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
to consolidate:
Old City: there's two old cities, south of market is chick full of restaurants and bars and gets crowded a la Adam's Morgan in DC on weekend nights. north of market is more laid back.
South Street: It's fallen a long way from its heyday but it's still a decent strip. In the old days it was just south, these days Headhouse Square (2nd st just north of south) and Bainbridge (street jsut south of south) have really taken off in terms of restaurants and nightlife
Rittenhouse: The city's tony section, for better of for worse. Walnut St is exensive shopping, the suare is a number of restaurants opening on to it, and there's plenty of stuff nearby, particularly just to the north of the square which sits between Rittenhouse and the office districton west market
UC: This area seems to be booming
Italian Market: Great for food shopping (fresh mozzarella at claudio's) and mexican restaurants but not much else
Chinatown: It is what it is. Dirty, chaotic, and full of asian restaurants good and bad
Fairmount: It is mostly scattered but I'd say the Nexus is around 22nd and Fairmount, just west of the prison.
Northern Liberties: while the area's commerce remains mostly restaurant and clubs, it is fairly lively. mostly along second and third streets. while the walk anbd piazza may be "manufactured" it's still pretty cool
Introducing the Piazza at Schmidts
South Philly: East Passyunk (aka Passyunk Sq) has really taken off in the past few years. It runs from 5th and south to Broad st with only a few uninteresting blocks in the middle near the Italian Market before you hit the cheesesteak vortex at 9th (except Ianelli's...mmm tomato pie)
There's also Chestnut Hill which retains the small town in a big city feel and has a vibrant commercial strip while nearby Mt. Airy continues to revive its strip (both along Germantown Ave)
Wash West: as noted, is mostly scattered, except along walnut st. Nearby 13th st between walnut and chestnut has also taken off

Old 07-30-2009, 09:26 AM

783 posts, read 2,022,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
I am planning a little trip to check out Philly's neighborhoods.

I always hear about Old City, South Street, Rittenhouse and occasionally UC, Italian Market and Chinatown. Excluding the outer (Manayunk, etc) areas are there any that I am missing?

For example, do Fairmount or Norther Liberties have commercial strips. I always get the the impression that they have a few things here and there, but not really any critical mass of activity?

Thanks for any suggestions!
About 5 hours west in Pittsburgh.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:36 PM

457 posts, read 1,109,346 times
Great Thanks for all the suggestions! I will have to check them out, though Pittsburgh will probably have to wait for a 2nd trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia