Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:04 PM

8 posts, read 15,461 times

Advertisements

My DH works for Sikorsky and Coatesville is on our list of possible places to be moved to. I do have a few questions regarding healthcare and special needs children. I have a 12 year old that has Asperger's Symdrome. He was also born with congenetal heart defects and has scoliosis. We regularly visit a pediatric ortho and cardio. He also has to have ABA therapy along with speech, OT and PT as provided for autistic children not children with typical speech, OT and PT needs. What kind of facilities are available for my son's needs? He is able to mainstream school and is quite smart, especially in science and math. Which of the school systems are more in tune with students who need to have an assistant provided, extra care, IEP's. I do not want to have to break out lawyers and spend every day at the school babysitting faculty to make sure they provide him with what he is entitled to under federal law. Can you tell I have fought this battle before. I need a school system that is more concerned with their students than getting that piddley bonus of one computer for denying the most special needs students extra services. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 03:52 PM

117 posts, read 588,616 times
I can tell you that Cheltenham is not good for special services. I know several people have threatened to sue them over it. I have heard that Abington is very good for it. Not sure how long the drive is from there to Coatesville.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:42 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
The poster is asking about Coatesville, not Cheltenham. Coatesville schools have a pretty poor reputation, however, right next to Coatesville is Downingtown, which has an excellent school system.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:41 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,715 times
Coatesville and Cheltenham are 40 miles and 60+ minutes drive time away from each other. And way different sense of place, Coatesville = small town suburb, go west a few miles and you're in the Amish country side. Cheltenham = close in, urban city living. I don't see why anyone would want to live in one and commute to the other.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:27 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Coatesville schools have a pretty poor reputation, however, right next to Coatesville is Downingtown, which has an excellent school system.
Definitely agree with this...you don't want to live in Coatesville either.

Here are some links that might help you decide which school district in Chester County would be best for you:

http://http://www.cciu.org/SpecialEducation (http://http//www.cciu.org/SpecialEducation - broken link)

http://http://www.ascendgroup.org/Resources.html (http://http//www.ascendgroup.org/Resources.html - broken link)
(Scroll down to Regional Asperger/Autism Sites, and you'll see one for Chester County.)

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:52 AM

110 posts, read 174,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myownworld View Post
My DH works for Sikorsky and Coatesville is on our list of possible places to be moved to.

My DH works at Sikorsky too up in CT -- we're hoping to relocate in the next year or two and he may be able to be transferred...what dept is your husband working in?

Old 08-23-2009, 12:28 PM

34 posts, read 77,853 times
We have a farm that has a Coatesville zip code but is in the Unionville-Chadds Ford school district. Newlin Township. The school district is excellent. When our kids were there they were pretty good about mainstreaming with appropriate aides in the classroom,not just pull-out programs. There is also The Devereux Foundation campuses in Downingtown/West Chester-- all close . They have an autistic unit that is residential, and i would bet you could get some of their experienced staff to work privately.There are also some very nice small private schools in the area, like West Chester Friends that you might consider. There are so many Universities and med schools in the Phila region that you should be able to get the docs you want. Coatesville also has rail service to Philadelphia by Amtrack, and regional rail 5 minutes East in Thorndale. A realtor that knows and lives in this area is

[

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-08-2009 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: No Realtor recommendations please

Old 08-23-2009, 12:32 PM

34 posts, read 77,853 times
We also have a 2 story 2br and deck to rent on the farm. You can definitely get cheaper than our rent ($2000/mth),as we can charge a premium for the location.I would recommend looking in the Unionville,Downingtown,or maybe West Chester school districts. All are close to Coatesville.Or whoever works in Coatesville could commute by train on the R-5, better known as the Main Line, and the family could live in any town along it: Malvern,Paoli,Narbreth...

Old 10-08-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtoPA View Post
My DH works at Sikorsky too up in CT -- we're hoping to relocate in the next year or two and he may be able to be transferred...what dept is your husband working in?

He is an FSR

Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbj350 View Post
We also have a 2 story 2br and deck to rent on the farm. You can definitely get cheaper than our rent ($2000/mth),as we can charge a premium for the location.I would recommend looking in the Unionville,Downingtown,or maybe West Chester school districts. All are close to Coatesville.Or whoever works in Coatesville could commute by train on the R-5, better known as the Main Line, and the family could live in any town along it: Malvern,Paoli,Narbreth...
Um, no thanks. I think $2000.00 per month to live in a closet in the tundra is a bit high. Guess I am not enough of a fool to be parted with my cash that easily . Premium location is a matter of opinion. Farms stink and very isolated. I hate the country. I don't like visiting it and certainly don't want to live in it. Looking at the housing market in that area, I am thinking of just staying put and sending my husband there until we get a better area with a more reasonable cost of living. I just don't see how anybody would pay $250,000.00 for a 2 BR house built in 1959 only 1076 sq ft AND an HOA of $500.00 per month. Oh, can't forget that the last time this place was updated is 1968 and the carpets were cleaned in 1996. Somebody is smoking some nasty stuff and it isn't me. Yeah.......... I wasn't crazy about going to PA before, and I am certainly not wanting to go now. Are people really so stupid as to pay those housing prices or am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia