Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:19 AM

6 posts, read 22,135 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My DH and I are moving from NY to Philly, and I'm planning on commuting via Amtrak to my job in New York. We want to avoid the Philadelphia city tax, so we're looking at the first few stops on the R5 main line outside Philly (Merion Station, Ardmore, etc). Can anyone who currently does this commute tell me, firsthand, how hellish/not hellish it is? I'm pretty hardy, and I like reading on trains. But I'm planning on doing this long-term (for at least a few years), since I LOVE my job in NY and have no desire to leave it.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:31 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
You'd be better off staying in Bucks county (north of Philly)...communities like Newtown, Yardley, Morrisville, Doylestown. Way closer than commuting from Ardmore or Merion Station (west of Philly).

There are a number of other threads on City-Data on this very topic. Do a search here, or on Google.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 AM

6 posts, read 22,135 times
I've looked for similar threads to no avail, which is why I started my own thread--can you post links if you know where they are?

We looked at those Bucks county towns, but it doesn't make sense for us--my husband will be working in Philly and we'd have to get another car. This way at least one of us is close to work, and with the Amtrak it's not that much longer than commuting from Bucks County.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:48 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
merion is not pedestrian friendly, ardmore is. ardmore is also a sometimes stop on amtrak. Paoli is always a stop on the Amtrak trains.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingtopa View Post
I've looked for similar threads to no avail, which is why I started my own thread--can you post links if you know where they are?

We looked at those Bucks county towns, but it doesn't make sense for us--my husband will be working in Philly and we'd have to get another car. This way at least one of us is close to work, and with the Amtrak it's not that much longer than commuting from Bucks County.
I went to find what I thought was a similar thread only to find out it was yours.

To expound on what I said on there: a commute from 30th Street to Penn Station would be just over 2 hours via SEPTA/NJ Transit. Knock off a half hour for a regular Amtrak train and maybe another 15 minutes for Amtrak Acela. That does not include what would be an average 20-30 minute commute into the city via SEPTA's R5 train and whatever amount of time it takes to get to downtown Brooklyn from Penn Center... let's say a half hour, for the sake of discussion.

I would also guesstimate that a monthly pass on SEPTA and NJ Transit would be at least $300 combined. I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least double that on "regular" Amtrak let alone Acela.

So it's either $300 a month for a six-hour daily commute... or perhaps $600 (or more?) a month for a four-hour daily commute.

On the other hand, living in Bucks County would allow both of you to take the R7 train: you to transfer to NJ Transit or Amtrak in Trenton, him to downtown Philly. You would save two hours a day in commuting by not having to come in and go back out of Philly on the train... not to mention a couple hundred dollars. As you may already know, some NJT trains have express routes which would make the Amtrak advantage neglible. And assuming your husband is working in Center City (downtown Philly), he could get there in less than an hour.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-22-2009 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: didn't realize that OP was the NY commuter and her DH would be commuting to Philly.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 AM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times
Also, Merion is not an Amtrak stop, you'll have to take Septa from Merion into 30th St Station and catch Amtrak there. The tradeoff is the morning Amtrak to NYC has a scheduled 15 or 20 minute wait at 30th St. So if you catch it at Ardmore, you sit in the train and wait that whole time, which is OK if you're busy with work. Another point is they frown on cell phone conversations in the Amtrak cars. It's been a while since I did it, this may have changed.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
To expound on what I said on there: a commute from 30th Street to Penn Station would be just over 2 hours via SEPTA/NJ Transit. Knock off a half hour for a regular Amtrak train and maybe another 15 minutes for Amtrak Acela. That does not include what would be an average 20-30 minute commute into the city via SEPTA's R5 train and whatever amount of time it takes to get to downtown Brooklyn from Penn Center... let's say a half hour, for the sake of discussion.
actually, it's a 40 minute savings and it's quite substantial. moreover, Amtrak is more pleasant to surf the internet with plugs and drop down tables as well as a cafe car in case you forgot your coffee. AFAIK, SEPTA/NJT is $500/mo and Amtrak double that. If you do do Amtrak, get the credit card and rack up rewards. Paoli is the only stop that is always a stop on all Keystone trains. there's a 15 min layover at 30th st

Old 09-22-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
actually, it's a 40 minute savings and it's quite substantial. moreover, Amtrak is more pleasant to surf the internet with plugs and drop down tables as well as a cafe car in case you forgot your coffee. AFAIK, SEPTA/NJT is $500/mo and Amtrak double that. If you do do Amtrak, get the credit card and rack up rewards. Paoli is the only stop that is always a stop on all Keystone trains. there's a 15 min layover at 30th st
Thanks for that correction, pman!

$1000/month for transportation? Wow!

Old 09-22-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Thanks for that correction, pman!

$1000/month for transportation? Wow!
a few years ago the powers that be in congress decided Amtrak was too generous and passed a law requiring no fare be less than 50%(?) of the list fare (kind of like MSRP) which meant a hike on commuters. the powers that be at Amtrak, in all their DC based glory, decided to screw Philly and not only double the fares but eliminate the clockers. It's ridiculous but worth it if you do the commute, though a lot of people make the trek to Trenton...for me, either the job is worth tine $1k or it's not worth doing. that said, it's overpriced and it unnecessarily puts people on 95.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
a few years ago the powers that be in congress decided Amtrak was too generous and passed a law requiring no fare be less than 50%(?) of the list fare (kind of like MSRP) which meant a hike on commuters. the powers that be at Amtrak, in all their DC based glory, decided to screw Philly and not only double the fares but eliminate the clockers. It's ridiculous but worth it if you do the commute, though a lot of people make the trek to Trenton...for me, either the job is worth tine $1k or it's not worth doing. that said, it's overpriced and it unnecessarily puts people on 95.
Perhaps with the Amtrak Rider-In-Chief occupying the Vice-President's Office, perhaps that will change for the commuters' benefit in the not too distant future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia