Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:41 PM

6 posts, read 9,900 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm 18, and I will probably be working at like Walmart or something like that full-time (and part-time if need be). If it does work out that I can get a job there (I'm living in FL right now but I'm originally from PA so it won't be too much of a shock xD) I will be moving in about a month. So here are the questions I have that I really need answered,

- What neighborhoods are good to live in that are close to public transit? (I probably won't bother getting a car if I can just go by public transit)
- What things should I look out for when looking for apartments there? The highest I could go I'm guessing to be $600 a month. What should I watch out for with landlords?
- Where do younger people around my age go to hang out? I'm not a drinking person so bars and clubs are off limits for me. (I never liked them anyways)
- What parks are nice to visit? I'm a learning photographer & artist and I love the outdoors so I like to find places like that where I could go.

Also,

- Where are good places to find reasonably priced furniture (besides like, craigslist and thrift shops)
- What internet & cell service works good in the city? I've heard of people having problems before so I was just wondering.

Thank you!

Last edited by sparky22; 10-26-2009 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 06:24 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky22 View Post
Hi all!

I'm 18, and I will probably be working at like Walmart or something like that full-time (and part-time if need be). If it does work out that I can get a job there (I'm living in FL right now but I'm originally from PA so it won't be too much of a shock xD) I will be moving in about a month. So here are the questions I have that I really need answered,

- What neighborhoods are good to live in that are close to public transit? (I probably won't bother getting a car if I can just go by public transit)
- What things should I look out for when looking for apartments there? The highest I could go I'm guessing to be $600 a month. What should I watch out for with landlords?
- Where do younger people around my age go to hang out? I'm not a drinking person so bars and clubs are off limits for me. (I never liked them anyways)
- What parks are nice to visit? I'm a learning photographer & artist and I love the outdoors so I like to find places like that where I could go.

Also,

- Where are good places to find reasonably priced furniture (besides like, craigslist and thrift shops)
- What internet & cell service works good in the city? I've heard of people having problems before so I was just wondering.

Thank you!
Will you have family and friends in the area that you can live with? It will be tough to afford an apartment on Wal-Mart wages, let alone find a unit in a comfortable, convenient area for $600. Also without knowing where you'll be working, it would be hard to recommend neighborhoods. Not to mention that most Wal-Marts and Targets and such around here are in the 'burbs which aren't always convenient to mass transit.

I would strongly encourage you to visit before making a decision. You'd probably enjoy spending time in the various neighborhoods in Center City (our downtown). As an aspiring artist, you may appreciate the galleries in Old City, especially the First Friday events, as well as the Art Museum area and its various institutions. The Art Museum itself borders the expansive Fairmount Park as well as Boathouse Row. Back towards the heart of Center City, Rittenhouse Square is a good place for people-watching if not also photo-snapping.

South Street may be one of your better options for nightlife, unless you're comfortable with hanging out in one of various coffeehouses and bookstores in-town.

I'm really hesitant to offer more advice as, honestly, I don't think an 18YO who aspires to work at Wal-Mart could support an existence in a 1B apt here.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:36 PM

I know that Walmart and Target don't pay much but what can you do? Gotta get a start somewhere.

I do have a friend there who's lived there her whole life so I have asked her for help as well.

I visited there about a year ago and did a lot of walking around and not just in the 'touristy' areas. What I saw of it I liked. I do know the crime rates are high, I do know that it's hard to live there and find a reasonably nice place. But it will only be temporary till I have some more work experience and can get a better paying job.

Could you please give me a few names of some places and I'll look for myself and talk with my friend. What's the worst thing that could happen?

What about towns nearby the city? Are there any worth looking at?

Thank you for the answer!

Old 10-27-2009, 03:50 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
If you're close enough to your friend that she'll let you crash at her place until you get settled, I'd start with that. Otherwise...

Assuming your $600 max, you'd have to come up with $1200 or even $1800 to give to a landlord upon signing the lease. Because of your age, the landlord may even want a parent or guardian to co-sign your lease. And since you won't be in college, the landlord will want to see verifiable proof of income... and landing an entry-level retail job from out-of-town will be virtually impossible, given the pool of local applicants.

I don't mean to offend... but given your plan, I don't think this is the right time for you to come to Philadelphia.

What part of Florida are you from? I would think there would be decent opportunities in some of the larger cities there. The cost of living should be generally lower as well.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:17 PM

Florida is even worse off to get a job. That's why I'm looking out of state. I live about an hour from Orlando.

I'm not just looking in Philly, I'm looking in other cities as well. I just need information. I guess I'll just keep searching this forum ad ask around other places.

Thanks.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:12 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,048 times
Couldn't OP share an apartment/house within the $600 budget? There are probably threads on this forum that talk about reasonably priced areas. [OP -- I have never lived in Philly.] Did not want to discourage some one who wanted to move to a large city that is of interest.

I once asked someone (this was in India) if in hindsight he would have moved to the city, or stayed back in his hometown. He said -- if you cant survive in the city, you cant survive anywhere.

Looks like OP is doing his/her homework. Not to give false hope, but wanted to share this story.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:44 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
For $600 you can easily find a room for rent or even an efficiency/studio in a neighborhood decent enough for a young, single guy. I have a 2-bedroom rowhouse down the street from my own that I rent out for $850 (no, it's not available). But coughing up the deposits for living on your own is the tough part.

There are quite a few Wal-Marts and Targets in the city but I'm sure you can do better.
Get a bicycle - the pizza delivery guys average $10-$12/hour

Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I once asked someone (this was in India) if in hindsight he would have moved to the city, or stayed back in his hometown. He said -- if you cant survive in the city, you cant survive anywhere.

Looks like OP is doing his/her homework. Not to give false hope, but wanted to share this story.
Thank you! It's like that saying "If you can make it in New York you can make it anywhere"

Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
you'll be fine. options are limited, but not non-existent. the deposit can be a problem for you. mt. airy might be a good fit, south philly, west philly. you'd probably want to check here to see if anyone knows the neighborhood in question.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
For $600 you can easily find a room for rent or even an efficiency/studio in a neighborhood decent enough for a young, single guy. I have a 2-bedroom rowhouse down the street from my own that I rent out for $850 (no, it's not available). But coughing up the deposits for living on your own is the tough part.

There are quite a few Wal-Marts and Targets in the city but I'm sure you can do better.
Get a bicycle - the pizza delivery guys average $10-$12/hour

(I'm a girl haha)

I have been looking at rentals up there and it's a lot cheaper than here in FL.

Yeah I have things that I know I could do on top of working at like Walmart or something.

Thanks for the answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia