Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 08:01 PM

6 posts, read 9,774 times

Advertisements

Please forgive the long initial post. I'll try to answer every relevant question. Little background first: I'm a 28-year-old, single female. I moved to FL in 2008. I don't like it. Too hot for too long. I miss the snow and my family is 1000 miles away. I also dislike my job (I'm not good at customer service and I only get 5 days vacation a year w/ no sick days). I'm not super concerned about a job right now because I can do almost anything temporarily until I find something better. The most important decision I have right now is finding a place I'd enjoy living.

I've narrowed it down to 4 places, though 2 of them aren't that realistic. My current choices are LA, Philly, NYC, or Salt Lake City. I love LA, but like NYC, it's awful expensive, not to mention it's 3k miles from my family. SLC is beautiful, but my main reason for wanting to move there is RSL (I would adore season tickets). I love soccer, which is why Philly is currently my top choice. I could go see a soccer game now and then, it's close to NYC so I can visit, and it's only 4 hours from my family. Plus it'd be cheaper than LA or NYC. Not to mention, if I move to Philly, my family will drive down and help me move back. Definite bonus and I save on moving costs!

When are you moving?
I've set a goal date of April 30th, regardless of where I move.
Where are you coming from? Ocala, FL
Why are you moving? I don't like FL.
Where will you be working? No clue yet. Looking to change job fields. Maybe try something new. Possibly in the publishing field or something. I'm a decent writer and majored in English, so I could do something with that. Are there any acting classes in Philly? I can't find any in Ocala. I think acting is something I'd like to try. Job/career suggestions are welcome!
Have you been here yet? No.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Style doesn't matter. No more than $600 a month for starters.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Doesn't matter, though I'd prefer someplace where I don't come home expecting to find all my stuff gone (I do that now. Not fun). And I hate carpets. I don't want carpets.

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single, no kids.
Do you have pets?
Two cats, not declawed.
Do you want or need a yard? Nope
Are you keeping a car? Yes, but I'd still like to be near mass transit to save a bit of money.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) X
Train or subway stations X
I'm not big on clubs, but I do like independently-owned pubs and whatnot. I enjoy seeing local bands and watching the game at the bar. I would like to be near a good library, too.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Doesn't matter really, though a good church would be helpful. I need to go back to church. It's been too long.

Coke or Pepsi?
Pepsi, absolutely! Unless it's Coke Zero. I like Coke Zero best.

If you read this far, you deserve a cookie. I have some gingerbread men in the kitchen. Help yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 08:26 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I'm a native Floridian myself and get where you're coming from. I live here in Philadelphia now. Given your choices, I'd take Salt Lake City in a heartbeat. It's not that inexpensive here in Philadelphia, relative to NYC yes, but not overall. The employment situation here is grim, and I would not move here without finding a job first. I know very intelligent and talented writers/literary people living here who have had little job prospects and none foreseeable. Salt Lake City features two very important things in an overall bad economy. A low cost of living and a low rate of unemployment compared to the rest of the country. You don't have to live there permanently, but it would probably be a pleasant/less stressful place to figure out your next stage of life. Where's my Gingerbread Man?

Old 12-19-2009, 08:38 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
I have been to Salt Lake City and it is such a small city and so isolated that it seems like it would get old pretty fast IMO.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:59 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursGirl View Post
Where will you be working? No clue yet. Looking to change job fields. Maybe try something new. Possibly in the publishing field or something. I'm a decent writer and majored in English, so I could do something with that. Are there any acting classes in Philly? I can't find any in Ocala. I think acting is something I'd like to try. Job/career suggestions are welcome!
From what I've heard anecdotally, Philadelphia's limited publishing industry is hard to break into without connections. Of course, this is something I heard many years back, so things might have changed. (On the other hand, it seems to me that I've heard more about Philadelphia publishers going out of business since that time than I have about any opening up.)

In fact, when I graduated with an English degree many years ago, I had a vague plan of getting a vague job in publishing in Philadelphia, and that never materialized (which is no surprise considering how little effort I put into a job search, and how little actual enthusiasm I had for the idea itself).

I would strongly suggest having a job lined up before relocating to Philadelphia (or probably anywhere--though the fact that you are still young gives you more room to take risks, I suppose.)

Old 12-19-2009, 09:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
There is 15" of fresh snow in my back yard. Might I suggest LA.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:54 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
There is 15" of fresh snow in my back yard. Might I suggest LA.
I wouldn't mind a long vacation there myself given current conditions. LOL But if anyone has spent anytime on their forum, they'll see a lot of posts from young people with stars in their eyes and a few bucks in their pockets hoping to "make it big"... only to be responded to with with the harsh reality of a tanking economy and still-expensive cost of living. I suspect NYC might be similar without the permanent spring weather.

You apparently get more bang for your buck in low-paying SLC. it is, however a moderate bastion in a state that generally caters to a conservative, family-oriented culture. That would be a lot different from LA, NYC and Philly.

For someone looking to enjoy themselves while also establishing themselves, Philly has a pretty good amount to offer. It wouldn't hurt to find a roommate to keep expenses down. I agree that it would be advisable to have a job lined up. No place is easy to pop in and find work.

And yes between DC United and NY/NJ Red Bulls, you'll be able to get your MLS fix. And the Philly-area team's arrival is imminent as well.

Thanks for the virtual gingerbread man. Tastes great!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 AM

6 posts, read 9,774 times
Thanks for all the advice!

Nomad, that's kind of where I'm at. I got the degree because I'm good at it and it was easy, but it's not something that really lights a fire under me. Publishing is just an idea. I'm at that point in my life where everything is up in the air and I'm really not sure what I want to do in the end, but I've decided that's not a bad thing. I'm learning who I want to be and getting past what everyone thinks I should be. I've discovered I don't like customer service (in large amounts, anyway); I'm pretty good with computers, and if I don't already know how to do something, I can usually find out; I'm a decent writer but I have to have a purpose or I lose motivation (hence the two partially-written novels).

I think I would really enjoy SLC, but one of the major downsides, for me at least, is the move out there. It's about 2000 miles and I have two cats. The trip to FL took two days and I only had one cat then, and less stuff.

I do plan on finding a job before moving if possible, but just in case, I'm saving up enough to last me a month or two. That's why I set the April 30th deadline. I have time, so I'm going to look for jobs I think I'd enjoy and apply in the different cities. Who knows? I could get lucky!

It would definitely be nice to have three MLS teams w/in traveling distance, even though I don't like one of the teams (I have a hard cheering for a team named after an energy drink). The Union got a couple players I enjoy watching, so that's a bonus. Does anyone know of some local bars that play EPL games on Saturday/Sunday?

I'm making sugar cookies today, if anyone wants some! I have A Christmas Story cutters, so leg lamps for everyone!

Old 12-20-2009, 01:25 PM

388 posts, read 1,095,241 times
I recommend Manayunk and there are a ton of intramural soccer leagues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia