Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:17 AM

5 posts, read 18,262 times

Advertisements

I go to Drexel, wondered the best and worst parts of Uni city?

What types of crime happen around here?

Is it safe to walk from 30th to 35th on a sunday morning?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 06:29 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
UC has really developed and grown over the years. You should have a pleasant walk.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
UC has really developed and grown over the years. You should have a pleasant walk.
I know it has developed, but I've had cases in past of homeless guys throwing rocks at me around 31st & Mkt

Old 01-03-2010, 06:38 AM

Anyone?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:51 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
Market St is still a little rough because it is still comercial with limited traffic in off hours. I consider Chestnut and Walnut pretty safe up to about 40th st. Or you could practice how to throw rocks.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:49 PM

388 posts, read 1,094,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd75 View Post

Thanks

I like UC. I have never had any problems there during the day. I have gone out there at night a dozen times and we never had any problems. I hear about problems on the news but I have not seen it. I think the area starts to go downhill the as you head west from 40th.

Ask some of your classmates. They should have the best info on the area.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:01 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:

Thanks
I must admit to being surprised that a Drexel student has not ventured west of say, 33rd Street at this point.

Nonetheless, my opinion is that there is nothing to be concerned about, particularly on a Sunday morning, until perhaps the latter 40's. The "best" areas would be subjective but for a student's purposes, the 40th Street corridor bordering Penn would seem to be ideal. Walnut Street from about 36th Street on is a nice lead-in to the aforementioned 40th St.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:47 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
Quote:
I know it has developed, but I've had cases in past of homeless guys throwing rocks at me around 31st & Mkt
if you've already had problems and don't feel good about it why are you asking if it's safe?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I must admit to being surprised that a Drexel student has not ventured west of say, 33rd Street at this point.

Nonetheless, my opinion is that there is nothing to be concerned about, particularly on a Sunday morning, until perhaps the latter 40's. The "best" areas would be subjective but for a student's purposes, the 40th Street corridor bordering Penn would seem to be ideal. Walnut Street from about 36th Street on is a nice lead-in to the aforementioned 40th St.
This. Although I guess if you were a commuter student you could get off at 30th st and never get past 33rd as long as you don't go to the dorms, DAC, Library, etc

It sounds like a lot has changed for the better since I left the city with more of Powellton Village (and even lower Mantua) being influenced by the university.

I'm sure there are still homeless people around and still a fair amount of crazies in the neighborhood. I remember crossing the bridge on market and seeing "homeless man feet stink" - basically a homeless guy who wrote homeless man feet stink in marker on the bridge, had his sock on his hand and was running around screaming "homeless man feet stink" .... he didn't do anything to me, but threw a shoe at one of my buddies.

There was also this time where a lady was screaming at her reflection at 30th street ...... about a year later this lady was in the 7-11, knocked over a display of chips and then on her way out booted over a soda of a homeless guy.

We also had professor bum, FU bum, Chili Willie from North Philly, etc ..... generally harmless, just use your head

there is nothing really dangerous in that 5 block stretch - if it makes you feel better then walk down to chestnut and then over

Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 AM

54 posts, read 293,144 times
I live in West Philly, beyond 40th Street, and never had a problem. I live near the Penn Alexander School, and a lot of families are moving in around me. There are Ethiopian immigrants in my area. So the area is quite stable.

I would highly recommend people who are moving to Philly to look at West Philadelphia, it is cheaper than Center City. I would recommend the Baltimore Avenue Corridor, stretching from 39th Street to 51st Street or even 52 Street. Along Baltimore you have coffee shops, stores, and restaurants, plus Clark Park. Also the 34 trolley runs on it. Between 50th and 52nd buildings start to look sketchy, but I have known people to live around without any problems. There is no reason to go beyond 40th and Market, 45 and Sansom, 46 and Chestnut, West Philadelphia High School on Walnut, and 50th and Locust.

The worst thing to happen to me was being approached by homeless people. Give them a quarter and they'll leave you alone or just ignore them. Generally speaking Philly is safer than people's perceptions. It is amazing how your chances of getting shot or robbed goes down when you factor in that you're not in a gang and you don't do heroin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia