Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 09:27 AM

16 posts, read 66,530 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Cherry Hill, NJ and want to move closer to my job in Newtown Square, PA. We’re looking for places within 45 minutes from Newtown Square. We’ve been looking into Chester County.

Here’s our “must have” criteria:

-Excellent school system
-Newer houses (5-10yrs). Our budget is $400k
-Low crime

What we like:
-Nice restaurants & cafes
-Good shopping
-Walkable downtown
-Close to public transportation (for an occasional night out in Philly)
-Larger lot (0.5 acres)

What we don’t like:
-Run down/dingy look and feel
-Older houses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 06:16 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
-Excellent school system
-Low crime

Then I would suggest something other than Chester County. Newtown Square/Marple, Wallingford, and Media/Upper Providence are all very nice, safe, and have great schools. Wallingford and the Media/Upper Providence also are close to downtown Media, which has loads of great shops, restaurants, and public transportation. All are in Delaware County.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
-Excellent school system
-Low crime

Then I would suggest something other than Chester County.
Are you confusing Chester County with Chester City (in DelCo)? Excellent school systems (Tredyffrin-Easttown and Unionville-Chadds Ford, for starters) and low crime areas are not difficult to find in ChesCo.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:56 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Are you confusing Chester County with Chester City (in DelCo)? Excellent school systems (Tredyffrin-Easttown and Unionville-Chadds Ford, for starters) and low crime areas are not difficult to find in ChesCo.
Absolutely. Chester County, aside from the possible exception of Coatesville, is extremely safe. That poster must have been confused.

For the OP, I'd suggest the Malvern or West Chester areas to meet all of your criteria. Both are situated in great school districts, relatively close to public transit, adjacent to walkable main streets and are surrounded by a large amount of newer housing on larger lots.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:34 AM

47 posts, read 232,144 times
I would second west chester. It also has relatively low property taxes.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 PM

119 posts, read 384,785 times
The earlier suggestions are all great areas. I would make a case for anything in the Phoenixville school district. The district has been moving up in the rankings and the town is great. My fiance and I loved the downtown area so much that we moved here, and we plan to stay for many years. Great restaurants, good shopping, and walkable.

There are a slew of beautiful new homes in the area, especially in Kimberton and Schuylkill. As earlier posters have said, Crime is very low throughout just about all of Chester County.

SEPTA buses run here, but we prefer driving 15 minutes to Paoli and taking the R5 or Amtrak (only $6.50, and you're at 30th Street in under 30 mins).

Just about all of Chester County is a great place to call home. Good luck!

Old 12-09-2009, 01:19 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
third WC.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:54 AM

35 posts, read 146,538 times
I moved from the Newtown Square area to Chester County (Downingtown) about 3 years ago. It's extreamly safe and a great place to raise children. The school district is outstanding. Downingtown is close to the turnpike entrance, which you could use to get to 476 taking you directly to West Chester Pike in Broomall -just mins from Newtown Square. So I vote, Downingtown, West Chester, Exton -they are all great places to live! Best of luck!!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
45 minutes from Newtown Square gives you a very flexible radius. Chester County is great, but why stop there? I'd strongly suggest looking into Western Montgomery and all of Delaware County as well. Below are a list of great communities (and school districts) that you may end up liking.

Chester County:
Tredyfferin-Easttown
Unionville-Chadds Ford
Great Valley
Downingtown
West Chester
Phoenixville

Delaware County:
Radnor
Wallingford-Swarthmore
Rose Tree
Haverford
Garnet Valley

Montgomery County:
Lower Merion
Methacton
Colonial

Old 01-11-2010, 09:38 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
mm57553 is definetly confusing affluent exurban Chester County with ghetto inner ring Chester City in Delaware County.

West Chester is what I thought of right away as being perfect for the OP.

www.realtor.com using West Chester, PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia