Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 AM

31 posts, read 50,882 times

Advertisements

I recently got accepted to UPENN and I have a few questions:

I come from Puerto Rico, where crime is terrible. I have read many threads about Philly's crime, but I just wanted to know which parts is better to live (North, South,East, or West)? I could also move to NJ. Is being latino a problem (could I get confused with some latino gang member or something)?

Also, my fiancée doesn't know much English. Will it be hard for her to adapt?

This question has probably been answer tons of times, i just want a more personal answer.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 03:04 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
There is no east-side to Philidelphia. That would be NJ.

Hopefully, someone with a more intimate knowledge of Philly will be along to offer specifics, but as a general rule, the western and northern suburbs may be what you're looking for....IF you can afford to live there. As with any big city, there are working class neighborhoods too, but no matter where you are, there's always the possibility of crime.

As for Hispanic, non-English speakers being welcomed? Most people are open-minded, but there are some who are prejudiced or bigoted and that seems fairly common these days because of the illegals problem. Most people couldn't tell a Puerto Rican from a Mexican and it wouldn't matter if they could.

Just FYI, I'd mention that Bucks County, just north of Philly, is the only place I ever knew of where the Klan had its own cable channel.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:08 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,128 times
I'm moving this to the Philly forum for better answers........

Frank

Old 01-31-2010, 07:51 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,586,186 times
You don't want to move to North Philly. But in order to answer this question, it would be good if you let us know who much you can pay in rent. Meanwhile, you would be fine right in University City. Other posters can let you know the boundaries you should stay in. But you will be safe (using precautions you would use in any large city), very close to center city and find a cultural/ethnic mixture of residents.

Also, this is from the Penn website and may help you.

http://www.business-services.upenn.e...hood_selection

Old 01-31-2010, 12:34 PM

388 posts, read 1,094,410 times
I would live in University City. There is some crime there, but the campus is safe.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:38 PM

54 posts, read 293,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_guitarist1987 View Post
I recently got accepted to UPENN and I have a few questions:

I come from Puerto Rico, where crime is terrible. I have read many threads about Philly's crime, but I just wanted to know which parts is better to live (North, South,East, or West)? I could also move to NJ. Is being latino a problem (could I get confused with some latino gang member or something)?

Also, my fiancée doesn't know much English. Will it be hard for her to adapt?

This question has probably been answer tons of times, i just want a more personal answer.
Thank you.

Congrats on getting into Penn. I live a few blocks from their campus, and I think it is an amazing school. So as a University City resident here are my answers to your concern.

Philly's crime? First I have to ask you, do you do heroin? Are you in a gang? If you answered no, your chances of getting shot at reduces exponentially. Also over the past couple of years the city's crime rate has reduced significantly. And if you choose to live in University City or West Philly-east of 51st Street-crime is not as much of a concern as in other parts of the city.

There are plenty of Latinos in Philadelphia. There is a Puerto Rican community in the Kensington section of Philadelphia, which in the northern part of the city. Philly is very multicultural city, no one is going to mistake you for a Latino gang member. You can get all sorts of services in Spanish. If you live in West Philly, there will be plenty of Anglos who will be trying to converse in Spanish with her.

As Penn student it is perferable to live in University City, especially allong the Baltimore Avenue coorider, between 40th and 51st. The farthest west one should go on Market Street is 40th. The farthest west on Sansom is 45. Farthest west on Chestnut is 45th, maybe 46th. Farthest west you could go on Walnut is 47th. The farthest south you could go is either Chester or Springfeild.

The area around Penn Presbyterian Hospital is also a good area. A little sketchy, but I have a friend who lives near there and has no problem. I have walked there at night and never felt any danger.

I would not recommend NJ. First, the commute will be harder than it appears. Also your fiance will feel more isolated in the suburbs.
You could also try Center City, but try to be on the western side of Center City, because it would be easier on your commute. I even know some students who live in the Art Museum area, and commute to campus by bike using the pathway along the Schuykill River.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:08 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,776,939 times
Philadelphia's reputation reference crime is an urban myth. There are many cities in the US that have much worse crime problems then Philadelphia. Stay out of the neighborhoods where criminals live and it won't be an issue. These areas unfortunatly do include West Philadelphia not too far west of UPenn. Live in Center City or very close to the Penn campus and you will be okay.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:11 PM

692 posts, read 2,350,885 times
Ditto University City if you are going to school at Penn.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Have you looked at this website for Penn grad housing? Grad student housing

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:16 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Philadelphia's reputation reference crime is an urban myth. There are many cities in the US that have much worse crime problems then Philadelphia. Stay out of the neighborhoods where criminals live and it won't be an issue. These areas unfortunatly do include West Philadelphia not too far west of UPenn. Live in Center City or very close to the Penn campus and you will be okay.
Look at the stats for more info..
There are only 12% of the us cities less safer.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Just for comparison sake.. We moved to the Philly burbs and this site says that the overall chance of a crime happening to us now is 1.8 out of 1000 residents where the city was 13.7 per 1000. About 7-8 times more likely happening to us with a 3 mile drive to the city. Urban legend? You decide.. Just something to think about..

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 06:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia