Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 30,266 times

Advertisements

When are you moving?
June 2010
Where are you coming from?
Topeka Kansas.I grew up north of Wichita, but have lived in L.A. and spent plenty of time in East London, England. The rough edges of the urban life are of no concern to me. That said, I presume I will end up in Montgomery county, so I am unconcerned about neighborhoods.
Why are you moving?
I have a BA in History, its graduate school or go hungry. I am attending Westminster Seminary(Just west of Beaver) in Glenside. I have supplanted the knowledge of how to pick an apartment with knowledge of early American and Anglo-American religious history. Practicality is not something my academic training has provided.
Where will you be working?
n/a
Have you been here yet?
Several times. My dad went to Beaver(Arcadia if you must). My great aunt lived in Manayunk until a few years back.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft?
Apartment
How much can you spend?
Ideally less than 1k per month. I dont want to slum it, but i am in no need of a 5 star life.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
I don't care, so long as my bicycle is welcome in my apartment, all is well.

Are you married or single?
Married, but she is not moving out with me immediately. She has a law degree to complete.
Do you have pets?
One cat.
Do you want or need a yard?
Nope
Are you keeping a car?
I would prefer to ride my bike. I am not married to my vehicle. It has been started twice since November 1. If where I end up is bikeable, I will probably ditch it.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
A mix. I ride a bike so a generally equate calm and quiet to safe roads. That said, I am a 24 year old guy who is not quiet ready to be a hermit. Having a night life and attractions is cool, even if it brings some noise.

What do you want to be closest to?
I want to be close to school (Westminster in Glenside), public transit, and groceries. By bike, I would consider close as anything less than 5 miles. Realistically, if it were closer than that, I would not be upset.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
I am generally unconcerned with my neighbors. That said, some people my age(24) to hang out with isn't so bad.

Coke or Pepsi?[LEFT]RC Cola or single malt scotch(neat).

[/LEFT]

Last edited by bkwentz; 02-12-2010 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: It takes two trys to spell some words correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 04:55 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,985,474 times
Jenkintown or Glenside are the obvious answers. They'll both have what you're looking for but I think Mt. Airy/Chestnut Hill is the better choice (particularly Mt. Airy) if you want to be around other 20-somethings. It's bikeable to school when the weather cooperates and when it doesn't there's a bus for that . . . even better, all the buses here have bike racks.

Seriously, the 77 is the bus. You'll also find the H and the 22 helpful.

Nice drink. I'm thinking about cracking open a can of that Young's Double Chocolate Stout right now.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:25 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
OTOH, glenside/Jenkintown has trains far more often to center city/downtown. Sounds like Glenside might actually be the best fit. there are twenty somethings there as well.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,985,474 times
I was initially surprised that you said "back east" and you're not from here but then, i guess if you live in the middle of the country there's more of a requirement to differentiate between the cardinal directions.

it really gets under my skin when people from California say "out east."

It's like living in Miami and saying you're going "down" to New York.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:22 AM

388 posts, read 1,095,367 times
No contest.

Chestnut Hill.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 30,266 times
Solibs,
My last name is Wentz. My family has lived in the Carlisle area since the dawn of time. I suppose moving to PA is something of a homecoming.

More practically, I grew up in a place topographically similar to a kitchen counter. All our roads run in cardinal directions. There are no landmarks by which to guide a person. All we have are the cardinal directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia