Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you find this terad to be usefull?
Very Usefull 0 0%
Somewhat Usefull 1 50.00%
Not So Much 1 50.00%
Not At All! 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,549 times

Advertisements

Overbrook, Overbrook Park, Wynnfield, Carroll Park, Cobbs Creek and University City West......These areas have seen a large number of renovation and property value increases over the last six months>
A number of investors who were working in the Manyunk area of Philadelphia are now moving down into areas like Overbrook Park. What are your thoughts? Does this mean far west philly could be the next hot spot in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 04:14 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Good luck, because it's a complete dump compared to what it used to be...

Old 05-07-2010, 07:33 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
I'm not sure where Carroll Park is or what defines the "western" part of University City. But other than that, I agree that the other areas mentioned are looking up.

RE: Overbrook/Overbrook Park, I never saw them as being that bad. White and black residents along with St. Joe's students seem to live together semi-harmoniously. If anything, I see younger families rather than "hip' singles and couples moving in here. A newer West Mount Airy.

I don't see Cobbs Creek diversifying ethnically as much as economically. I can see a black middle class thriving there.

University City in general has improved a lot over the last couple decades. If/when the gentrification into West Philly makes the leap over 52nd Street would be a strong statement.

It's interesting that most of these neighborhoods are on the just on the other side of the 'burbs. I don't seem them meeting in the middle with University City anytime soon but it's nice to see/hear about some improvement.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
RE: Overbrook/Overbrook Park, I never saw them as being that bad. White and black residents along with St. Joe's students seem to live together semi-harmoniously. If anything, I see younger families rather than "hip' singles and couples moving in here. A newer West Mount Airy.
exactly - and that's been going on for at least the last 7 years.

Quote:
I don't see Cobbs Creek diversifying ethnically as much as economically. I can see a black middle class thriving there.
from my observations the black middle class usually winds up relocating to the suburbs as opposed to a different neighborhood in the city. Not that something happen around Cobbs Creek eventually - especially south of Market St.

Quote:
t's interesting that most of these neighborhoods are on the just on the other side of the 'burbs. I don't seem them meeting in the middle with University City anytime soon but it's nice to see/hear about some improvement.
all of those neighborhoods along City Ave. have always been more affluent/better educated than the rest of the neighborhoods in West Philly. You're right to say that they won't be meeting in the middle anytime soon but good things are definitely happening.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:28 AM

101 posts, read 384,531 times
haha, i'm laughing a little at this thread. Carrol Park the next hot spot? not quite. What the heck is university city west? and as mentioned already, overbrook and wynnefield are both fairly decent and stable neighborhoods.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,285 times
Smile Would someone comment on this thread again?

Hi. I was wondering if the answers have changed in the last three years? Thanks

Old 03-04-2015, 03:09 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSat View Post
Hi. I was wondering if the answers have changed in the last three years? Thanks
No. They're essentially the same.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:48 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
I will comment on the concept of "West University City."

When I first moved to Philly at the beginning of this century, "University City" ended at 46th Street. It was mostly the Spruce Hill neighborhood and a little of Garden Court: west of 38th, south of Walnut, east of 46th, north of Chester. It expanded westward to 48th, 50th and now many people consider the sliver of land between 50th and 52nd part of it. Cedar Park was not always part of University City.

It seems to me "gentrification" (or more precisely, "Penntrification") will not leap west of 52nd.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:53 AM

301 posts, read 922,172 times
From Lansdowne, I take Plumstead/Marshall Road/Spruce every night as I work at the VA hospital night shift.

I do notice more and more caucasians venturing as far west as 52nd and Spruce at 10-11 o'clock at night. I KNOW I didn't see that a few years ago.

Is that a sign of changes?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:00 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I will comment on the concept of "West University City."

When I first moved to Philly at the beginning of this century, "University City" ended at 46th Street. It was mostly the Spruce Hill neighborhood and a little of Garden Court: west of 38th, south of Walnut, east of 46th, north of Chester. It expanded westward to 48th, 50th and now many people consider the sliver of land between 50th and 52nd part of it. Cedar Park was not always part of University City.

It seems to me "gentrification" (or more precisely, "Penntrification") will not leap west of 52nd.
It's not unusual to see white people in the Malcolm X Park, at 52nd and Pine, nowadays so, yes, I agree with you. During the 90s that park was basically a drug den. Not anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia