Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 7,262 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've been browsing here for a little while, but this is my first post. I also thought it would be one of the best places to get feedback on a personal project I've been working on - The Get Philly Moving Plan.

Some of you may be familiar with Damien Goodmon's "Get L.A. Moving" Plan (which can be seen at Get L.A. Moving - Main Page). I've studied it in the past and thought that Philly could equally benefit from a system that strong.

Below is the map I've come up with for the plan. It combines several previously proposed extensions, some speculated on various message boards, and of course, my own contributions. The colored lines are intended as subway/elevated heavy rail lines, the smaller green lines are trolleys, and the rest is commuter rail. I'm working on getting it copyrighted so that I may turn the proposal into a website, but any feedback or suggestions you guys might have would be greatly appreciated, as it's still a document in some transition. Thanks!

Last edited by Yac; 06-11-2010 at 12:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 11:37 AM

71 posts, read 92,483 times
Very cool. Reminds me of the subway maps from when I lived in Tokyo for a year. To me the biggest negative of the philly area system is the lack of electronic ticket booths/passcard system. I know that they have been working on it, but to me, until that is done it will remain a 2nd class system with world class potential.
Another thing I picked up in Japan: development around train stations is critical. Cafe's, dining, shoping, housing and entertainment. There are literally dozens and dozens of trainstops in Tokyo that see hundreds of thousands of people go through every year and it is because of all the stuff within walking distance.

Last edited by Fiss240; 06-07-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 12:43 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,725,521 times
Yeah I could see SEPTIC doing this.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:58 PM

The main problem is that septa is government run. There are literally 30 independent railway operators just in the Tokyo area, all of which are privately owned and operated with the exception of 2 subway companies. Commuter rail can be very profitable when done correctly. Government is required to start these sorts of projects, however.

Septa exists despite the excellent rail infrastructure in southeast PA, not because of it.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:53 PM

23 posts, read 61,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiss240 View Post
The main problem is that septa is government run. There are literally 30 independent railway operators just in the Tokyo area, all of which are privately owned and operated with the exception of 2 subway companies. Commuter rail can be very profitable when done correctly. Government is required to start these sorts of projects, however.

Septa exists despite the excellent rail infrastructure in southeast PA, not because of it.
Sure, blame the government for everything....
Because London Underground, DC Metro, NYC MTA, BART & Muni in SF, MARTA are all for profit right?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:18 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,672 times
Your Ogontz-Cheltenham line should diverge from the BSL at Erie, not Wyoming. There is already a junction built into the tunnel there for a proposed extension that was never built. And your parkway line could run down Pennsylvania Ave. since there's already a tunnel there, and a sunken grade that follows Callowhill St. into Center City.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaninWA View Post
Sure, blame the government for everything....
Because London Underground, DC Metro, NYC MTA, BART & Muni in SF, MARTA are all for profit right?
Point taken. Let me revise my statement. Septa is run like government agency if that agency were able to fulfill all the worst stereotypes of government agencies. I think its great I can file all my DMV stuff online in PA, septa should go through similar modernizations to bring it into the 21st century. I was mostly trying to illustrate how bad Septa is, surely you would agree there is enormous room for improvement.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,262 times
Thank you for the kind words, Fiss.

Marius, with regards to your suggestions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Your Ogontz-Cheltenham line should diverge from the BSL at Erie, not Wyoming. There is already a junction built into the tunnel there for a proposed extension that was never built.
True, but branching it from Wyoming Park allows for an easier connection to the Bustleton/Twenty-Second Line (at the previous Hunting Park/Broad station). This would further make the Broad/Hunting Park stop a major transit hub.

Yes, a stop could be built at Hunting Park & Germantown Ave. if you branched off at Erie/Broad, but that area is already served with the restoration of the Route 23 trolley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
And your parkway line could run down Pennsylvania Ave. since there's already a tunnel there, and a sunken grade that follows Callowhill St. into Center City.
This actually IS the intended area for the Parkway-Ridge Line. I went over this as I was making the map and the name "Pennsylvania-Ridge Line" just didn't work for me. The Parkway is the closest major street and it's the area that the line intends to serve, plus "Parkway-Ridge" just sounds better anyway, so that's why I went with it.

Looking at it again now, the 20th/Spring Garden station should actually be 20th/Callowhill though. The Spring Garden stop at Broad would be extended to be multi-modal for both lines.

Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited by Phil O.; 06-07-2010 at 07:29 PM..

Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Very nice and comprehensive transportation proposal; that is one that would absolutely place Philly in the highest class for urban infrastructure worldwide. If only a fraction of that were to be implemented, particularly in areas that could definitely use more high-speed mass transit (i.e., large swaths of South and Northeast Philadelphia and many outer-ring suburbs), the city and region would be very well-positioned for the future. Like another poster mentioned, Philadelphia and many of its inner-suburbs with so much abandoned rail infrastructure have so much potential for revitalization vis-a-vis transit-oriented development.

Places like Tokyo, most Eurpoean cities and even the DC area (which has a slew of modern TOD) should serve as a model to SEPTA, commercial/residential developers and local municipal leaders in the region in the years going forward. It's the perfect -- and quite frankly, the only -- answer to sprawling out of control.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiss240 View Post
Point taken. Let me revise my statement. Septa is run like government agency if that agency were able to fulfill all the worst stereotypes of government agencies. I think its great I can file all my DMV stuff online in PA, septa should go through similar modernizations to bring it into the 21st century. I was mostly trying to illustrate how bad Septa is, surely you would agree there is enormous room for improvement.

Don't apologize. His examples are weak. NY has about 6 times as many people. DC is the capitol and get 6x as much money per capita as any state.

The problem with Philly is people don't want to take mass transit. Why would be add lines if the existing lines are not at capacity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia