Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,114,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I did ask not only WHAT it represented (to see if you were even familiar with the symbolism . . . you passed) . . . I also asked about its wider SIGNIFICANCE to the field of analytic philosophy (which you did not recognize . . . epic fail).
And to say it again, the latter question is silly. What you posted is not some fundamental "formula" of philosophy, its just the symbolization of a particular assertion used in one book. Your claims about Russel's theory of descriptions is hyperbole at best, this isn't like say the theory of relativity.

Now if you want to believe that not recognizing some symbolic assertion means I don't know about analytic philosophy go for it, doesn't bother me at all. I'm far more interested in you actually justify what you claim instead of merely making assertions as if they are matters of fact.

Quote:
I just get tired of dealing with the jerkwad know-it-alls judging my knowledge and that of others without even knowing who we are.
That's nice, my comment was based on what you stated here. Knowing you, is just a matter of hearing more of your comments, hopefully I don't get to know you well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 08:13 PM

63,939 posts, read 40,202,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And to say it again, the latter question is silly. What you posted is not some fundamental "formula" of philosophy, its just the symbolization of a particular assertion used in one book. Your claims about Russel's theory of descriptions is hyperbole at best, this isn't like say the theory of relativity.

Now if you want to believe that not recognizing some symbolic assertion means I don't know about analytic philosophy go for it, doesn't bother me at all. I'm far more interested in you actually justify what you claim instead of merely making assertions as if they are matters of fact.
You were condescendingly characterizing Arequipa's colloquial view of the entire discipline of philosophy (and denigrating mine) as if you were aware of the history and developmental stages it went through to become your preferred analytic philosophy. Not recognizing a pivotal development from Frege's ambiguous function argument approach in the development of logical analysis is probative, IMO. I am sure you are technically adept at what you do . . . whatever that is . . . but your condescension is neither warranted nor appreciated.
Quote:
That's nice, my comment was based on what you stated here. Knowing you, is just a matter of hearing more of your comments, hopefully I don't get to know you well.
I will try to ensure that doesn't happen then.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,114,287 times
Quote:
You were condescendingly characterizing Arequipa's colloquial view of the entire discipline of philosophy (and denigrating mine) as if you were aware of the history and developmental stages it went through to become your preferred analytic philosophy. Not recognizing a pivotal development from Frege's ambiguous function argument approach in the development of logical analysis is probative
I'm well aware of the history and development of analytic philosophy, but I'm in no sense a scholar of analytic philosophy, there are undoubtedly many questions I wouldn't be able to answer off hand.

In terms of your claim about not recognizing "a pivotal development", rubbish. I didn't recognize a particular symbolic statement, that is far different that not recognizing the general development. If I actually cared about your test, I would've looked it up.

Anyhow, you're still not addressing the actual issues in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy