Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:41 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times

Advertisements

Suspend your belief/disbelief in the whole UFO phenomenon as we know it today and play "what if?" with me for a second...

Suppose you worked in high places within the government of a world power and had clear, indisputable evidence that aliens not only exist but are finding their way here and taking great interest in what the resident "wildlife" is doing; say a flying saucer itself, a piece of one or even an alien corpse and/or captive.

You know this knowledge would turn human civilization on it's head; religion(s) would be completely and utterly disproven, long-held common beliefs on what is and what isn't true in the world voided and your own power base eroded (becuase you would no longer be seen as the "top dog" in the human universe).

Would you keep it secret or share it with the world? Would you fear a collapse of civilization or believe it would take us to a higher perspective? What is there to loose/gain from disclosure?

I would disclose. I would be willing to see the old status quo collapse in order to bring humanity to a higher perspective on the universe. I don't think such knoweldge would collapse civilization itself, but (in the long term) change it for the better. I would be willing to sacrafice my own personal power in a hearbeat for a better world for my children/grandchildren.

For the record, I belive the Government knows UFOs exist but don't have any definitive physical evidence. I think they say nothing because they don't have any answers (despite secretly devoting huge amounts of resources to the subject) and don't want to admit being "in the dark" about the situation... just like the rest of us.

whatdayathink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:44 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
I'm with you; I'd disclose too. And for the same reasons you've given. Provided that the extraterrestrials aren't just interested in us as a food source.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Would you keep it secret or share it with the world? Would you fear a collapse of civilization or believe it would take us to a higher perspective? What is there to loose/gain from disclosure?
I would certainly disclose it. There's no reason not to.

However, I would be very suspicious of any advanced alien beings headed towards the earth from elsewhere in the galaxy. What could possibly be their motive? They should understand how afraid and intimidated we would feel. So why show up on earth like that?

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 03-14-2012 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I would certainly disclose it. There's no reason not to.

However, I would be very suspicious of any advanced alien beings headed towards the earth from elsewhere in the galaxy. What could possibly be their motive? They should understand how afraid and intimidated we would feel. So why show up on earth like that?
Well, we don't have the capability for faster-than-light communication (if such a capability is even possible in the first place), so any message we got from them would take about a thousand years to arrive, plus another thousand for them to recieve our reply.

Personally, I'd like them to send us a friendly 'hello' in local space, so we know they're out there and can decide for ourselves to make contact.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:03 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times

UFOs and the Bible - Chuck Missler - *FULL VIDEO* - YouTube

Matthew 24:37

But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Genesis 6

1And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

2That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

3And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

4There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Giants - Strong's H5303 - nĕphiyl
1) giants, the Nephilim
Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon

"And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day." Jude 1:6

The Nephilim - the fallen ones.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:27 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Well, we don't have the capability for faster-than-light communication (if such a capability is even possible in the first place), so any message we got from them would take about a thousand years to arrive, plus another thousand for them to recieve our reply.

Personally, I'd like them to send us a friendly 'hello' in local space, so we know they're out there and can decide for ourselves to make contact.
I agree. The fastest spacecraft humans have built todate would take tens of thousands of years to reach even the nearest star. So, if alien beings could arrive at earth in a few short years or even decades, then their technological level would have to be far more advanced than ours. They would almost certainly be able to wipe out human civilization if they wanted to.

That's why I would exercise extreme caution in such a hypothetical scenario.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,435 times
My suggestion is this if NASA declared the possibility of extra-terrestrial life because of the bacterium found on one of the meteorites then what is the possibility of having extra-terrestrial here in our mother world. I mean, meteorite showers have been reported on earth for some time now even in the ancient worlds meaning any type of life from space would have evolved over time only that we were not aware of it. In other words, if this is a possibility then we live with alien organisms but may have evolved to look like some of the creatures we are normally used to just a bit UNIQUE!!!

If we use Charles Darwin Theory of evolution then it must be very likely that we have evolved with foreign organisms. This means that in respect to existence of aliens then there is "no evidence of alien beings" because they could be among the "strangest animals on earth" either in the sea, air or land or just sweet and adorable like little kitties.

Last edited by basic ideologies; 06-07-2012 at 02:44 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 PM

460 posts, read 593,345 times
No, I would not.

The reasons behind such a decision are not exactly cut-and-dry, however. As a human being, filled with biases and misinformation about my own species (not to mention race) my "gut" feeling is to continue to withhold such a revelation.

I am looking for overall arching tenets to support my decision.

1. Social Fabric

If we were to accept that our ancestors were fully aware of extraterrestrials (ET) and lived in a world whereby contact was accepted, the psychological framework of the human would be in balance with the comings and goings as well as the interactions of ET with humans.

However, for the last two to three thousand years, at least, mankind has pretty much been left alone to develop a completely differnt psychological framework.

I feel that we can take the initial arrival of the European on the shores of Eastern North and South Americas. There was shock, and there was awe. In some cases, there was a great fear. Although religious tales of the day talked about white-skinned blond-headed gods would one day revisit the land of the People, I doubt many even gave it notice or credence.

The appearance of the European eventually disrupted American nations and societies to a point of near total collapse. Only a few managed to survive. The meeting of two worlds (even though both being human) brought about war, massive death, and a change in both societal arenas.

We often speak of the impossible-to-be-precise changes in the social fabric of the world should ET ring our doorbell, we answer, and ET cries out "Surprise!" But what about the changes to the ET social fabric. I feel positive that human beings are going to upset ET's carefully structured social order similarly--but perhaps not as devastating or disruptive--to the perturbations in human circles.

2. Law and Order

A great deal of energy is expended by humans in order to maintain the social institutions it deems necessary for co-existence just between humans.

I am not sure that the alleged degree of disruption in human relations and institutions would be as severe as prophesied or imagined. Oh, I am sure that there will be fringe groups meeting ET with signs of "Take us to your leader" or "Let us take you to our leader," all in all hoping that ET is arriving with a workable scheme of salvation from our humdrum llives or perceived horrible plight of existence.

The slightest disturbances "in the force" caused by unruly humans in this day and age tripwire retaliatory force by the powers that be. Anything that disturbes the status quo (as defined by the shakers and makers of any particular society or subset thereof) is often dealt with swiftly and forcibly.

Opening the door to global acceptance of ET would invite a global version of an Arabic Spring raised exponentially at least a hundred-fold.

3. Religion

Aside from a few fringe groups who have declared all ETs to be demons or to be angels, which God would be represented by the arrival of the ETs?

In our genetic memories, the gods came down from heaven (that canopy above the Earth that begins just a few feet from the highest mountains). Gods ascended into these very same heavens. Even famous people were said to have either ascended into or were taken into the heavens.

Conversely, major religions have either God ITself or representatives of God descending from heaven, the ultimate aim to bring about the Judgment Day, beginning of a heaven-on-Earth idyllic existence, or even a return of our former masters eons past.

If two human beings are willing to kill each other over the silliest and nonsensical difference of opinion, satirically represented in the Lilliputian-Blefuscudian war over which end of an egg is proper to break, one can imagine the all-out Armaggedon over which God ET represents.

And this is just between two normal people. Organized religious bureaucracises fall under point 2 above.

4. Human beings don't want to be discovered. They want to be the discoverers.

Human beings are so used to being at the top of the food chain. (see point 1) While for some reason there appears to be a need for a natural enemy (e.g., vampires, zombies, werewolves, "V"), as seen by a voracious appetite for like movies, television programs, video games, and the like, an actualization that ET might--would--put man's supremacy in danger becomes a central underpinning in keeping this fact from the general public.

5. There is nothing to be gained by revelation and too much to lose.

Even if humans were being harvested for both noble and nefarious purposes by ET, and given that humans are not in a position to do much about either, "ignorance is bliss." That status quo is perferable to the resulting chaos of revelation.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:22 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
religion(s) would be completely and utterly disproven, long-held common beliefs on what is and what isn't true in the world voided and your own power base eroded (becuase you would no longer be seen as the "top dog" in the human universe).
How do you figure that?

I'm not sure about Islam or Judaism, but Orthodox Christianity and Hinduism would have no problem realizing extraterrestrial life.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,988,397 times
I would like to disclose, but who would listen?

Sure there are many that would listen, but they would not have the power to make any difference.
And there are too many that would do everything within their power to discredit me....even if they know I was right.

I am certain the government know about their existence, but as usual one of the aspects is military power and knowledge.
What possible advantage could we get from this knowledge that other powers do not.

And then also protecting the religions. Religions has been the biggest tool throughout time to control people and they need this control as-is. If that control remains they do not have to worry too much about social control.

If people (or sheeple) actually would free their mind and see that we are an insignificant race (humans) among probably millions, that would probably have a huge impact for the better on our planet. Our petty differences could be solved so much easier.

I think they are also protecting the fabric of society. They think they are protecting us just as a mother or father protects their child from harmful activities/events even though the child may be ready to take another step in their development.

So there are many factor and these are just a few.

I could probably go on and on, but that post would be to long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy