Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 04:42 AM

72 posts, read 196,433 times

Advertisements

How do I change my format to a format that this forum will accept?]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 04:54 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,439,354 times
If I understood your question properly my reply is the following.

We should have an open mind towards it and we should be preparing ourselves for a more global society.

We should develop a higher tolerance for other culture's ideas, beliefs and habits.

Love is the most powerful force in the universe, it is the only way to really influence people if we strive to love and accept others will follow our example and will continue loving others too, that's the only way globalism will work.

And we have to start from ourselves, are we loving unconditionally?

Old 11-01-2007, 07:59 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,239,057 times
What Christian religion was in the medieval century, so is globalism in our century.
It aggressively tries to convert non-believers to a world-economy.
What many believers of globalism do not realise yet, is that their political and economical theories are not fully compatible with reality.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:48 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,386,627 times
Globalism itself is not a bad thing. We live in a global community despite our many borders and we should not ignore that.
We should adjust laws accordingly so that global political and economic theories ARE compatible with reality.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:33 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,479,378 times
It's absurd to call globalization a religion. It's like calling the Industrial Revolution a "religion." It's a change in society that is driven by technology.

RE: What moral attitude should we take toward Globalism (Globalization)?

UPS ships to countries all over the world. I can stay up all night on the east coast, and trade stocks on a stock exchange in Hong Kong. Right now, the standard of living is rising for poor people across the world. Countries along the Pacific Rim are organizing international agreements for sustainable fisheries. Ideas are now more freely shared between people on other sides of the planet. These are all results of globalization that could easily be seen as "morally good."

At the same time, China's increased industrial output is polluting their country, and the world. Pets (And possibly people) have died due to unsafe products from newly "globalized" countries. China's increased global reach raises moral questions about freedom of the press and religion. Islamic terrorists are more able to kill innocent people. American "McDonalds" culture is spreading to countries who may not want it. These are all results of globalization that could easily be seen as "morally bad."

So, like most things, I think globalization is morally ambiguous.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:36 AM

356 posts, read 1,129,556 times
Based on the question I think of the saying, "Think globally, act locally"

Old 11-01-2007, 10:01 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,747,499 times
the more "global" we get as a nation, IMHO will require a reduction in our sovernity as a nation. Do we really want or need other countries troops to help protect the US? Im really asking the question? and how much of others countries "religions" will we have to open up too?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
the more "global" we get as a nation, IMHO will require a reduction in our sovernity as a nation. Do we really want or need other countries troops to help protect the US? Im really asking the question? and how much of others countries "religions" will we have to open up too?
We are already supposed to be opened up to ALL religions in the US.
And those who respect the Constitution are.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,747,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
We are already supposed to be opened up to ALL religions in the US.
And those who respect the Constitution are.
not exactly what I meant..

the more countries give up their sovernity, the more the push for a global, one world religion there will be. there is already many that have tried to "water down" their own beliefs to try to accomidate a more worldy view.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
not exactly what I meant..

the more countries give up their sovernity, the more the push for a global, one world religion there will be. there is already many that have tried to "water down" their own beliefs to try to accomidate a more worldy view.
OK - I see. But Globalism is not a total merging of all nations, just an open interaction among them.
I personally don't care about one world religion - as long as I'm free to ignore it along with all of the existing ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy