Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:49 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,137,965 times

Advertisements

Different people have different genetic and chemical balance in their body which makes them be able to tolerate certain things and not be able to tolerate certain things.

Some people can live under someone's control, some can't. Some can live in the house with many people, some can't. Some can live with very few material things, others can't. Some can bear pain, some can't. And so on.

Different people can tolerate the same situation differently.

So, I think we should not assume that everyone has the same amount of strength to survive through something, like this life for example.

Because of different strengths, some people's life is generally good, but they still don't want it or don't like it.
Other people's life is much worse, and yet they want to live it.

In my case, I feel that the earth environment is too harsh for my genetic and chemical makeup. Fortunately for me, my life is good (comparing to majority), so it's bearable. Unfortunately for me, that's not good enough.

So I am wondering which combination are you?

Bad life, but want to live a long time.
Bad life, don't want to live a long time.
Good life, and want to live a long time.
Good life, but don't want to live a long time.

If you are the person who is choosing to live a long time AND your life is bad, why do you want to continue it? What is the reason?

My philosophy is: if you're not happy, what's the point?

What's yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 AM

123 posts, read 296,431 times
Life can get better?
My life has been really bad at times, and it's bad now, but at times it has been really good, and it might be really good in the future. Or at least, not so bad!
One thing I learned is that in the bad times, the mind can play tricks, to bias towards the current state. If they don't know how things could get better, the thought process can lead to 'it won't get better'. Even though there are endless possibilities on things that may make life decent.

Sometimes a margin can be thin and nearly impregnable at the same time..

(I'm not sure if impregnable is a word. I might not have ever used that word before.)

Old 09-05-2013, 05:14 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,780,397 times
I chose door number three:

"Good life, and want to live a long time."

Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,536 times
No. There's an unquestioned premisse that life is good. But life is suffering because we are in a perpetual state of need. We just have some fleeting trivial pleasures that we obtain for satisfying need.
Unhappily, we live in a life-affirming culture where people have to be optimistic 100% of the time.
I am against everyone who brings another life into this ****ty hole we live in.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:08 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,434,559 times
So funny to see this topic, bec before 6 am I had my first belly laugh reading an
NDE, near death exp, where a drowning police officer in La Jolle, says he realized Earth was a classroom
...the mission here not the end point....and it was a very unpleasant assigment. LOL!
Still laughing....a very unpleasant assignment, too funny!

It's a great life and I'll stay here as long as I'm supposed to...I don't care...
At this point...it"s all merrily just a stream...here or in the Hereafter...I call my real Home!

After I learned what the secret was to a happy, happy life....it's all the same to me;
here, there...wherever I go I'm right there!

Forever....!!...still laughing.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:31 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,841,717 times
I choose life, always. I have had times when my life far exceeded my wildest dreams, then times when it was a wretched life. But at the highest point I knew the low was simply waiting to appear, and at the darkest moments I knew there was a change for the better waiting for it's moment. A person must strike a balance in their expectations of what they feel life must offer up to them. If there are manic highs and lows every time their life changes, then it makes it harder to get a clear picture of the true nature of our lives on this Earth. To me, happiness in this life is relative to us all, individually. Some love this life for the simple pleasures, where others strive for material possessions, or power. I, personally take life for face value, and try to find something that makes me smile every day.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,492,696 times
Good life, and want to live a long time.

I love life. This is not to say I have not had my challenges, I have. Coming out was hard, I am gay, but the biggest one was when I found out my "best friend" and guy I liked had been lying to me about his sexual orientation and was in fact straight and leading me on for reasons I can only guess at. That had a big impact on me but in time I got over it and realized he is just working on his own demons and now I am in a better, far from perfect, relationship. I have, also, had medical issues but have overcome them. All things considered I am living the dream life as I am in the 1% and do things people in the 1% do.

My thought is I want to learn and explore all I can and I think I am very lucky to live in a time when life expectancy will essentially be a thing of the past and people in my generation will have the chance to live "forever" as we reach the singularity in 2030. The way I see it no matter how long I live I can always learn and explore new things.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joangreen2 View Post
No. There's an unquestioned premisse that life is good. But life is suffering because we are in a perpetual state of need. We just have some fleeting trivial pleasures that we obtain for satisfying need.
Unhappily, we live in a life-affirming culture where people have to be optimistic 100% of the time.
I am against everyone who brings another life into this ****ty hole we live in.
Your description shows that you see your life as bad. Also, it feels like you would choose not to continue.

I agree with your view on life.

However, I believe in "laws of attraction" theory (partially) and that we create our reality (collectively). What we believe (as a collective subconscious) is what we produce. But it's not black and white of course. Evolution will cause pain no matter how much people will wish for happiness. So, there are two parts: yes, there will be suffering. But the other part is: yes, we have to think positive in order for changes to occur in the future.

There will be a better future after the most painful evolution is done. But this future needs our help in order to come. It needs us to think positive.

So being optimistic is great. Although, in my opinion, some people are optimistic simply becasue they are programmed to have their head in the clouds, programmed not to see reality for what it is. To the smart people, such behavior seems dumb. However, even smarter people will realize that sometimes being dumb in this way is better for the good of the future.

As they say: "ignorance is bliss" sometimes, but it can also be useful

The story always gets written from the rough draft. Rough drafts are sometimes tough and painful and require lots of editing. But you can't write a perfect story out of nothing.

It's the same with life. Life has to evolve, go through "growing pains". And we are (relatively speaking) in the beginning stages of evolution and that's why it's so painful. Also, could be compared to a woman being in labor. This is the labor part...

I see it as this: to live this life is what "has to be done", it's like jury duty. Without us living the painful stages of life, there could be no better life. Someone has to do it... But of course for people who believe that this life is all there is... it's really a not fair fate. But for those who believe that this life is just a beginning, it's not so bad.

Last edited by LoveWisdom; 09-05-2013 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 PM

A great perspective: life changes

For those who are happy, beware, life could become bad (it's a joke... but on a serious note, it's better to believe that it's always be good and when it becomes bad it's better to still believe that it will get better really soon)

For those who are unhappy, have hope, life could become good

Old 09-06-2013, 02:47 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
Life can only get you down if you let it.

I choose "good life, want to live a long time."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy